+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP : a job that is in your field of study

iopyud

Star Member
Jan 28, 2012
How strict are they when it comes to this requirement?

Suppose I completed a Master's or Post Grad Diploma in Sociology/Humanities/or other theory-based program.

What would be an acceptable profession? An administrative assistant for private companies perhaps?

Thank you.

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Hi there,

I assume you're talking about the Provincial Nominee program for International Students under Opportunities Ontario division. If that's the case, you can apply under three categories. (1) PhD Graduate Stream (2) Masters Graduate Stream and (3) International Graduate with a job offer.

You can find all the relevant information on the website ontarioimmigration.ca

All the acceptable professions are listed there in a separate file. You can check the FAQs section to answer your questions.

Regards,

iopyud

Star Member
Jan 28, 2012
I'm actually talking about Labrador/Newfoundland's.

It says "Related to your studies".

So if I studied humanities, and got work as an administrative assistant/clerk at a private company, will that be acceptable?

iopyud

Star Member
Jan 28, 2012
I see that Ontario no longer requires your field of study to be related to your work but must be NOC 0, A or B

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
You're right about Ontario. I have no idea about Labrador/Newfoundland procedure. Maybe someone else will be able to help you out.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If 'related to your studies' is not strictly defined anywhere, then it falls in a grey area where it can be hard to distinguish between very closely related jobs. This can also work in your favor if you can justify how the job is related to your studies.

What they are basically trying to avoid is extreme cases. For e.g. someone with a degree in IT trying to get PR by working as a labourer.