+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pls help. Changing Status from Working Permit to Permanent Resident

Meiz

Aug 1, 2008
Hello,

What documents are needed to change the status from temporary work permit to permanent resident? My bf is staying in Calgary, Cad for 1.5 years already, so can he apply for PR now? or shall he wait for certain time to be able to apply? Is Permanent Resident same with Landed Immigrant?

Thanks a lot for answering my questions in advance.

Best regards,
Jasmine

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends on what kind of work permit he has and what his profession is. It is possible depending on his profession, that he qualifies to apply through the provincial nominee program in AB, which would be faster, less than a year. If not, he can apply as a Federal skilled worker through Buffalo if he has enough points, average 19 months. If he waits another 6 months, if he's a skilled worker, he qualifies to apply under the new Canadian Experience Class which nobody knows how long the processing time will be because it's brand new.

Meiz

Aug 1, 2008
Thanks Leon for replying my post. The new employer will sponsor him to 'a skilled worker' status as a head chef. What he got at the moment only:
1. Working Visa
2. LMO from past employer (unskilled worker)

He changed his work (a new employer) but didnt apply for a new permit. The new employer is willing to support him with paperworks if necessary to act as his new employer. They expect my BF apply for a landed immigrant instead of extending the working permit. It's getting more complicated bcos my BF's past employer is holding the work permit n refused to give it back to my BF for him to process the changing of employer. What do you think we should do? I read from CIC it takes 3 years at least to apply as a PR... I learnt there are many new comers in Cad can already apply as landed immigrant even only stay for one year.

If we decide to hire a lawyer, can u recommend anyone in Calgary?

Appreciate your help to answer my questions.

Jasmine

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He should not be working in a new job without getting the permit changed. If his old employer is holding his work permit hostage, preventing him to change employers, he should call the labour board at 1-877-944-9955, see http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde/xchg/hre/hs.xsl/4548.html

As a chef, he will qualify for PNP but he still needs a temporary work permit for his new employer to start, see http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/chefs.html