+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help...

Noah1

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Hi all,

Apologies I have a few questions/concerns which I am am hoping someone can help with.

On Dec 9th I received a pre arrival services letter and my status on ine reads decision made but no yes or no.
Then yesterday I received another letter to say, "I have met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence but a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met". These requirements include medical, security and background checks for all your family members both in Canada and abroad.
First question : my wife is Canadian and has kids from a previous marriage, does the medical, security and background checks apply to them too?
Does anyone know how long the checks for me normally take? Do they ring all my previous employers? I submitted my medical report over a year ago will I have to complete a new one? My online status reads medical receieved how long is it valid for?
The next part of the letter talks about having temporary residency which I dont have. I am "out of status" but declared that from the offset. Will I be removed from Canada?
Next paragraph talks about the fact I can apply for an open work permit - do I need to have a job offer first to apply for one?
how long before I will know when a final decisions has been made?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No your wife and her children don't have to do a medical/security/background if they are citizens. Your medical expires after a year but sometimes they extend that so wait to see if they ask for an updated one. They may contact your previous employers but the main concern is security and that you have been honest about who you are and what you have done. I see someone has already answered your question about OWP

Remember that most of the mail you receive are standardized letters so not everything may apply to youm

Noah1

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
great thanks canuck78. Guess there is nothing more I can do for now but wait and hope for the best :)
Thanks again for the reply it is very much appreciated.
No your wife and her children don't have to do a medical/security/background if they are citizens. Your medical expires after a year but sometimes they extend that so wait to see if they ask for an updated one. They may contact your previous employers but the main concern is security and that you have been honest about who you are and what you have done. I see someone has already answered your question about OWP

Remember that most of the mail you receive are standardized letters so not everything may apply to youm
at

Noah1

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Thanks again. I guess I at the AIP stage now :)
I don't want to open another thread but I am wondering how long did others have to wait after reaching decision made under your pr status before you finally got approved?