+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help

polwatta

Star Member
Aug 1, 2014
Hi,
can someone please tell me, if you get a 10 or 5 year Temporary residence visa do you have a restriction to leave Canada with in sometime. Super visa you have to leave the country within 2 years. so is there any time restriction to stay???????????/

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

The standard entry given is 6 months; the CBSA officer may give more or less time. A person can apply to extend their visitor status in Canada before that time is up.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

The standard entry given is 6 months; the CBSA officer may give more or less time. A person can apply to extend their visitor status in Canada before that time is up.
Officer may give less but not more than 6 months. Stays for over 6 months require application for extension of temporary residence status or the visa holder may leave before before the authorized duration end and return shortly after.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CanV said:
Officer may give less but not more than 6 months. Stays for over 6 months require application for extension of temporary residence status or the visa holder may leave before before the authorized duration end and return shortly after.
A CBSA officer can most definitely give more time at entry. There have been many people, usually in middle of the PR process, who have requested and received a Visitor Record at the border granting them more than 6 months.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
polwatta said:
Thanks a lot for your replies. Can they cross the USA border for 1 day and come back?
It is not advised to do a border run. It is generally seen as safer to apply online for an extension. At the border, you would be subject in person to scrutiny from a CBSA officer, whereas an online extension app is looked at by a CIC officer with a completely different set of criteria.

polwatta

Star Member
Aug 1, 2014
Hi,
Thanks, Actually I am talking about my parents. They are planing to apply for TRV. If they get a chance to have a 5 or 10 year TRV can they cross the USA border and come back after 2, 3 days?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
polwatta said:
Hi,
Thanks, Actually I am talking about my parents. They are planing to apply for TRV. If they get a chance to have a 5 or 10 year TRV can they cross the USA border and come back after 2, 3 days?
Same advice applies. Even with a valid TRV, there is absolutely no guarantee that they would be allowed entry back into Canada.