+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help with live-in caregiver

lili1973

Jan 26, 2012
Hello everyone,
I'd like to get some information about the live-in caregiver, my husband and I want to hire someone from Peru as a live-in caregiver, we have two children, 2 boys of 4 months and 8 years old. I was looking all over the web and i wasn't able to find information as to how much is required for my husband and I to make a year in order to bring someone from back home, also we know that we need to get the LMO in which is required to have a CRA number, but I thought that only companies need to get this number no just anyone. We are a little confused on regards to this. Do we need to register a business name in order to apply for the CRA, or can we just put our names on the application? The person whom we want to come here is someone we trust and we could live our children with without any worries. We don't know how long it takes to get LMO or how long the whole process takes,.

We are very new at this and we would like help.
thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You become employers once you hired somebody to work for you, so yes you need to call CRA and let them know ou want to get a business number. After obtaining the number. you can then register with the job bank and advertise for the position for at least 14 days (make sure it is out there, published for at least that amount of time). When no Canadian citizen or permanent resident applied, you can then sign a contract with the nanny of your choice. (Note: you will send a result of the recruitment effort). When your prospective nanny has signed the contract, you'll then be able to apply for the LMO, together with all the requirements needed.

Your household income should be above the LICO (Low Income Cut off, for your family of 4) and plus 1 (the nanny), and the income of the nanny.

lili1973 said:
Hello everyone,
I'd like to get some information about the live-in caregiver, my husband and I want to hire someone from Peru as a live-in caregiver, we have two children, 2 boys of 4 months and 8 years old. I was looking all over the web and i wasn't able to find information as to how much is required for my husband and I to make a year in order to bring someone from back home, also we know that we need to get the LMO in which is required to have a CRA number, but I thought that only companies need to get this number no just anyone. We are a little confused on regards to this. Do we need to register a business name in order to apply for the CRA, or can we just put our names on the application? The person whom we want to come here is someone we trust and we could live our children with without any worries. We don't know how long it takes to get LMO or how long the whole process takes,.

We are very new at this and we would like help.
thanks

lili1973

Jan 26, 2012
Thank you for replying to my concern, I do have another question, since we don't have a business and we need to get the CRA number, what kind of business is it in order to apply for the number, today I was reading on how to apply for it and they ask for all these:
Business number (Basic Business Information), Corporation income tax program account, GST/HST program account, Payroll program account, Import/export account, Provincial accounts.

I am really confused all I want is to hire someone who can help me with my children, is there an easy way of doing this? I know the CRA number is important but there's got be an easy way of getting it.
please help

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You don't need to have a business. Call CRA and let them know you intend to hire a nanny, and they will guide you through it.

lili1973 said:
Thank you for replying to my concern, I do have another question, since we don't have a business and we need to get the CRA number, what kind of business is it in order to apply for the number, today I was reading on how to apply for it and they ask for all these:
Business number (Basic Business Information), Corporation income tax program account, GST/HST program account, Payroll program account, Import/export account, Provincial accounts.

I am really confused all I want is to hire someone who can help me with my children, is there an easy way of doing this? I know the CRA number is important but there's got be an easy way of getting it.
please help

alewis

Feb 1, 2013
I am certified immigration consultant, I can assist you with this process if you would like, you can send me an at info@t4ucanadianimmigration.com

blestcheche

Feb 17, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:
You become employers once you hired somebody to work for you, so yes you need to call CRA and let them know ou want to get a business number. After obtaining the number. you can then register with the job bank and advertise for the position for at least 14 days (make sure it is out there, published for at least that amount of time). When no Canadian citizen or permanent resident applied, you can then sign a contract with the nanny of your choice. (Note: you will send a result of the recruitment effort). When your prospective nanny has signed the contract, you'll then be able to apply for the LMO, together with all the requirements needed.

Your household income should be above the LICO (Low Income Cut off, for your family of 4) and plus 1 (the nanny), and the income of the nanny.
Hi

I need some clarification on the LICO

I am intending to hire a live-in caregiver from the philippines. Here is our estimate financial ability:

Size of family: 3 + 1 (nanny)

Combined income: $65,000
LICO (for 4 people): $43,292
Caregiver's salary: $20,500
Surplus or shortfall: $1208

What are the chances that I will qualify?

karenmae86

Feb 3, 2013
Good Day.. i just want to ask some information about nanny in canada. im interested to apply as a nanny in canada, though i need 6 months training or certificate as a care giver? i am a filipina currently working here in norway as an aupair/ nanny for 2 years.. Thanks and God Bless

northyork_beaver

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@lili1973 > just call CRA and tell the operator you need to hire a live-in caregiver and you need a bussiness #, then the operator will setup the number right away. You gonna use this # when you post your adds on jobbank.ca (advertisement required for 14 days) then you have to adverstise as well to public news papers eg. toronto star, globe mail etc. for at least 2 consecutive weeks (eg. 2 sunday editions). There's a guide to hire a live-in caregiver, just follow the steps and proccedures. There's alot of paper works but you need patience. Why? because I did, I hire my cousin and she arrived here last week. I did all the application and paper works without helping by the agency. I spend 1 month just for advertisements, another 1 months to proccess the LMO. To your application, you have to explain to LMO proccessing manager that you trying to hire locals but no one is fit, give at atleast 6 names of applicants and explain why you dont hire, what is the grounds of rejections. Then explain why you need to hire your relative. Good luck

northyork_beaver

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@karenmae86 > to qualify for live-in caregriver you need at least 1 year experience as a nanny and at least has 72 units in college or university.

If no experience as nanny, then need to enroll for 6 months caregiving course.

hope it helps... :)

karenmae86

Feb 3, 2013
northyork_beaver said:
@ karenmae86 > to qualify for live-in caregriver you need at least 1 year experience as a nanny and at least has 72 units in college or university.

If no experience as nanny, then need to enroll for 6 months caregiving course.

hope it helps... :)
i thank you so much for the reply it really helps a lot. because i really dont have any idea if im qualified for the job..

Miss Awesome

Feb 21, 2014
northyork_beaver said:
@ lili1973 > just call CRA and tell the operator you need to hire a live-in caregiver and you need a bussiness #, then the operator will setup the number right away. You gonna use this # when you post your adds on jobbank.ca (advertisement required for 14 days) then you have to adverstise as well to public news papers eg. toronto star, globe mail etc. for at least 2 consecutive weeks (eg. 2 sunday editions). There's a guide to hire a live-in caregiver, just follow the steps and proccedures. There's alot of paper works but you need patience. Why? because I did, I hire my cousin and she arrived here last week. I did all the application and paper works without helping by the agency. I spend 1 month just for advertisements, another 1 months to proccess the LMO. To your application, you have to explain to LMO proccessing manager that you trying to hire locals but no one is fit, give at atleast 6 names of applicants and explain why you dont hire, what is the grounds of rejections. Then explain why you need to hire your relative. Good luck
How do you explain to LMO processing manager that you have tried to hire someone but no one fits? Do you write a letter with all the papers you need to send or?

TrynaBL

Feb 22, 2014
karenmae86 said:
im interested to apply as a nanny in canada, though i need 6 months training or certificate as a care giver? i am a filipina currently working here in norway as an aupair/ nanny for 2 years..
Karen,
the requirements are professional caregiver training OR at least 12 months full-time paid experience in the field (including six months with one employer) in the past three years.

If you have been an aupair/nanny for 2 years already (specially if it's with the same employer), you should qualify.