+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help: study permit expires soon but transfer to another DLI, should I apply for an extension of the study permit or restoration of status

mufei

Jul 1, 2022
Hello everyone, my situation is quite complicated and I cannot find answers anywhere. I will be grateful if anyone can help.

I completed a bachelor's degree requirements at a university in December 2021 and officially graduated on June 8, 2022. My study permit will expire on July 31, 2022. I currently hold a PGWP expires on June 2025. I want to take CPA WSB for PEP program (which is a DLI), so I have submitted the request to transfer to CPA WSB, but I am not sure if IRCC receives and updates my transfer.

I am not sure whether I should apply for an extension of the study permit or restoration of status as a student. I read through the information on IRCC and Gov of Canada and think that since my type of study and DLI are changing and I completed requirements in December 2021, I should restore my status as a student. In questionary I put expiry date as July 31, 2022 and restoration in my application. However, the website does not allow me to submit my application with the message “Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form. Modify your answers or the value in your form”

I tried a few different combinations such as expiry date Dec 2021 and restoration but it shows that I should not stay in Canada. If I put expiry date July 2022 and extension of study permit then it allows me to submit the application, but I cannot be sure if it is right.

Has anyone experienced similar situation? I will be grateful if anyone can help! Thank you!

soheilhs

Sep 16, 2016
Hello everyone, my situation is quite complicated and I cannot find answers anywhere. I will be grateful if anyone can help.

I completed a bachelor's degree requirements at a university in December 2021 and officially graduated on June 8, 2022. My study permit will expire on July 31, 2022. I currently hold a PGWP expires on June 2025. I want to take CPA WSB for PEP program (which is a DLI), so I have submitted the request to transfer to CPA WSB, but I am not sure if IRCC receives and updates my transfer.

I am not sure whether I should apply for an extension of the study permit or restoration of status as a student. I read through the information on IRCC and Gov of Canada and think that since my type of study and DLI are changing and I completed requirements in December 2021, I should restore my status as a student. In questionary I put expiry date as July 31, 2022 and restoration in my application. However, the website does not allow me to submit my application with the message “Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form. Modify your answers or the value in your form”

I tried a few different combinations such as expiry date Dec 2021 and restoration but it shows that I should not stay in Canada. If I put expiry date July 2022 and extension of study permit then it allows me to submit the application, but I cannot be sure if it is right.

Has anyone experienced similar situation? I will be grateful if anyone can help! Thank you!
You have a valid legal status as a worker in Canada. (and forget about your study permit, too.). I do not believe the restoration is your option, but rather, it is to apply to change the condition of your stay.

mufei

Jul 1, 2022
You have a valid legal status as a worker in Canada. (and forget about your study permit, too.). I do not believe the restoration is your option, but rather, it is to apply to change the condition of your stay.
Thank you for the reply! But CPA WSB requires both a study permit and a work permit to enrol. Does apply to change the condition give me a study permit?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

I dont think restoration applies in your case, you have PGWP, you've met conditions for the PGWP and it was granted based on your previous studies studies. Check your GCkey account and i suppose counterfoil is Invalid. You need to apply for a new SP

soheilhs

Sep 16, 2016
Thank you for the reply! But CPA WSB requires both a study permit and a work permit to enrol. Does apply to change the condition give me a study permit?
yes you can request to change your status to stay in Canada as a student given that you meet the requirement of section 215(1) IRPR.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
yes you can request to change your status to stay in Canada as a student given that you meet the requirement of section 215(1) IRPR.
Changing status from what status in this specific case. section 215 is for eligibility to apply from within Canada,

mufei

Jul 1, 2022
I dont think restoration applies in your case, you have PGWP, you've met conditions for the PGWP and it was granted based on your previous studies studies. Check your GCkey account and i suppose counterfoil is Invalid. You need to apply for a new SP
Thank you for the reply! CPA WSB requires both a work permit and a study permit. I think I will apply for a new study permit since my current one is expiring.

I submitted a transfer school request already. Hope that CPA WSB will accept my current study permit with the study permit application. They have a two-month time gap between registration and class start date.

soheilhs

Sep 16, 2016
Thank you for the reply! CPA WSB requires both a work permit and a study permit. I think I will apply for a new study permit since my current one is expiring.

I submitted a transfer school request already. Hope that CPA WSB will accept my current study permit with the study permit application. They have a two-month time gap between registration and class start date.
Yes, you may apply for SP as clearly stated in R215(1)(C).

Hope this helps.

Changing status from what status in this specific case. section 215 is for eligibility to apply from within Canada,
Yes, and he applies from within Canada