+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help me

nidabatool

Dec 29, 2015
I want apply for Canadian Immigration under EE but problem is that my husband has two wife. As i am first wife and his 2nd wife is also applying for Canadian immigration under EE. Now in this situation should i apply or not?

Jojii

Star Member
Jun 13, 2012
NOC Code......
I want apply for Canadian Immigration under EE but problem is that my husband has two wife. As i am first wife and his 2nd wife is also applying for Canadian immigration under EE. Now in this situation should i apply or not?
Dear Nida.
I have never thought about this situation and its an interesting question.

Even though I didn't know much about this but some googling brought some good news.

Having more than one marriage (polygamy) is not recognized in Canada and is deemed illegal. however even if its illegal, you are not barred from applying for express entry.

I have good news for you. Since you are the first wife, only you will be considered your husband's spouse. All marriages after you two were married are considered null.

This is offcourse my own opinion and research. I would suggest you to speak to a lawyer about your application. But being first wife, your case is very strong. Canadian law won't recognize your husband's second marriage.

Reference:
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/how-to-get-into-canada-if-youre-a-polygamist/

A foreign national who is practicing polygamy in their country of origin, albeit legally, who applies to immigrate to Canada is informed that polygamy is illegal in Canada. They are also told that they may only include one spouse in their application and that it must be their first spouse in order to satisfy the IRPR requirements. Under Canadian law, all other marriages after the first are illegal. For this reason, the first spouse only may enter Canada on a permanent basis, which thereby creates a monogamous marriage.