+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help! Job Offer - Work Permit Qs

dss203

Apr 1, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and I've searched the archives for a similar question and haven't found anything quite what I'm looking for. I'm a US citizen and I'm engaged to a Canadian citizen. I have been searching for a job in Canada for 5-6 months now and after a few interviews, I finally got a job offer yesterday. I would be coming on a temporary work permit and hopefully file my application for Permanent Residency after we get married.

Anyway, here's my questions.
1) We had consulted a lawyer back in December and he had told us that I could possibly qualify for a work permit under NAFTA. However, the only occupations that I found close to mine are Psychologist and Social Worker. The position that I'm being offered is a Residential Counsellor and I have a bachelor's degree in psychology that I have gotten evaluated to be equivilant to the Canadian Bachelor's in Psych. Does anyone have any incite about the NAFTA business?

2)If NAFTA is not possible, then would I need to contact my employer about going through the HRSDC? I've heard some nasty things about going through this process. Anyone have any experience with it? I know my position has been advertised in Toronto and there are other immigrants working at the company. Do they often approve applications or not?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm extremely anxious about this right now. I've been with my boyfriend for 7 years and it seems we're finally getting close to being able to live together and I'm so frustrated. Any help you can provide would be much much appreciated. Thank you

-Dotty

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dss203 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and I've searched the archives for a similar question and haven't found anything quite what I'm looking for. I'm a US citizen and I'm engaged to a Canadian citizen. I have been searching for a job in Canada for 5-6 months now and after a few interviews, I finally got a job offer yesterday. I would be coming on a temporary work permit and hopefully file my application for Permanent Residency after we get married.

Anyway, here's my questions.
1) We had consulted a lawyer back in December and he had told us that I could possibly qualify for a work permit under NAFTA. However, the only occupations that I found close to mine are Psychologist and Social Worker. The position that I'm being offered is a Residential Counsellor and I have a bachelor's degree in psychology that I have gotten evaluated to be equivilant to the Canadian Bachelor's in Psych. Does anyone have any incite about the NAFTA business?

2)If NAFTA is not possible, then would I need to contact my employer about going through the HRSDC? I've heard some nasty things about going through this process. Anyone have any experience with it? I know my position has been advertised in Toronto and there are other immigrants working at the company. Do they often approve applications or not?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm extremely anxious about this right now. I've been with my boyfriend for 7 years and it seems we're finally getting close to being able to live together and I'm so frustrated. Any help you can provide would be much much appreciated. Thank you

-Dotty
1. Here are the exempt job descriptions in NAFTA http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/fw/fwe.pdf
2. The job offered does not sound like it will be NAFTA exempt.
3. The employer will have to get the offer certified by HRSDC that there are no Canadians, PR available for the position and it has been advertised extensively in Canada and that your credentials meet the requirements and that wages are equivalent to similar positions in the area.

PMM