+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help...Im so confused

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not qualify for a work permit based on having a Canadian boyfriend and not even if you were common law or married. After you qualify as common law and he applies to sponsor you, if he applies inland (you staying in Canada) and he applies for an open work permit for you at the same time, if all goes well, you could have that work permit in about 6 months.

Currently, you would only qualify for a work permit if an employer applies for a labour market opinion in order to hire you. If you have no special skills, most employers will not bother because in order to get it, they have to prove that they need to hire you and that they can't get any Canadians who are qualified. If you do find an employer who is willing to apply for the LMO and they get it, then you can apply for a work permit based on that and you would only be allowed to work for that employer.

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Wow this all seems like it isn't really worth going out to find a job rofl. So after I get a common law relationship settled and stuff, he has to apply to sponsor me and for a open work permit at the same time? How do you go about doing that?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DarkDragons91 said:
Wow this all seems like it isn't really worth going out to find a job rofl. So after I get a common law relationship settled and stuff, he has to apply to sponsor me and for a open work permit at the same time? How do you go about doing that?
Still, if you volunteer, take a short course less than 6 months (allowed on a visit visa) this will look a lot better on your CV than if you had been sitting at home doing nothing.

The way you apply is by following the instructions and filling out the forms found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

To ask for the open work permit, use this change of status form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
Put an x in work permit for new employer and on page 3 under 1a.) say open and for b.) say requesting open work permit upon first stage approval. You will have to send this application along with the sponsorship package.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
DarkDragons91 said:
Depending on where you're from (which determines which Visa Office you will file through) it may be as fast or almost as fast to get the PR instead of filing Inland. You should look at the overall processing times, then view the spreadsheet for your Visa Office and see what it looks like.

For example, Ottawa SS (which is in my signature) shows most people are landing in 7-8 months. Not all - some take longer than others for whatever reason - so it's a little of a gamble. If you haven't yet, read Leon's thread pinned in "Family Class" because it explains all of this far better than I ever could.

(When you look at a spreadsheet, keep in mind a lot of people never come back to self report their updates. You might see someone from 2011 that never landed - chances are that person never came back to the forum. Only one person - gsize- has been waiting for a ridiculously long amount of time and that's a different story all together.)

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Okay about classes sense I can not get a job I can not pay for school. I don't have a rich family or any ways of getting money so taking any course at this point is out of the question. Unless I can get federal help I am at a loss. Not to mention I do not have a study permit XD!!!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Federal help in the form of social welfare won't be possible if you are not a permanent resident or Canadian citizen. Your boyfriend however, may be eligible for certain tax benefits IF his income is below poverty level. He might also be able to obtain food from some food banks. This will reduce your grocery bill somewhat and perhaps free up some money(over time) to register for an online course? I'm thinking about the ECE course (early childhood education) which will enable you find work in a daycare.
Do you attend church? Some churches have funds specifically to help people in need but one has to be an active member.

DarkDragons91 said:
Okay about classes sense I can not get a job I can not pay for school. I don't have a rich family or any ways of getting money so taking any course at this point is out of the question. Unless I can get federal help I am at a loss. Not to mention I do not have a study permit XD!!!

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
SenoritaBella said:
Federal help in the form of social welfare won't be possible if you are not a permanent resident or Canadian citizen. Your boyfriend however, may be eligible for certain tax benefits IF his income is below poverty level. He might also be able to obtain food from some food banks. This will reduce your grocery bill somewhat and perhaps free up some money(over time) to register for an online course? I'm thinking about the ECE course (early childhood education) which will enable you find work in a daycare.
Do you attend church? Some churches have funds specifically to help people in need but one has to be an active member.
No I do not go to church . His money goes straight to his university expensive so I can't ask him for money. Though I like the idea of working in a daycare. Children are simply too adorable. :D. Thank all of you who is constantly helping me get through this. It makes me feel much better. How long do I have to wait before I can try for PR?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
He can sponsor you for PR right away if you get married or after you become common-law spouses(i.e. co-habiting for 1 year).

DarkDragons91 said:
No I do not go to church . His money goes straight to his university expensive so I can't ask him for money. Though I like the idea of working in a daycare. Children are simply too adorable. :D. Thank all of you who is constantly helping me get through this. It makes me feel much better. How long do I have to wait before I can try for PR?

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Alright guys so I am staying for the next 6 months so that will make it 12 months that I been here. So we finally can apply for the common law relationship. Do I have to apply to extend my stay so I can apply for the common law??

What papers do I need to get to apply for the common law, the sponsorship, and the open work permit all at the same time preferably?

sreejhu

Apr 18, 2013
Hi All,
I would like to pursue Masters in Electrical and Computer Engg from some universities in Canada
I did a research and I landed up every time in finding Masters by Thesis course from Canadian universities.
My profile :
Bachelor of Technology - Electronics and communication[B.Tech- ECE] with CGPA 6.2 [7 history of Back Logs] 2007-2011
Mahatma Gandhi College of Engineering, Thodpuzha - Kerala - India
Work Experience : 1.7 Years of Professional experience in Robotics engineering Aug 2011 to present designated as Robotic Engineer
IELTS Score: from IDP
overall : 6.0 [Listening-6.5,Reading-5.5,Writing-6.0,Speaking-5.5]
I wish to take masters from Canada ,Can any 1 please help me which Universities will consider my profile, and information on Funding/Scholarships/Part Time jobs will be great.
Already i have applied to Concorida university and university of Windsor, i got rejected from them. Any other universities were they will take me..
I am so desperate can any one help me out. Taking master from Canada is my dream.

Thanks in advance.