+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - Diploma Issued by Government of India not Recognised: Appl refused

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Hello All

I have applied for the FSW programme from UK (I am an Indian, with an Indian Passport, currently living in London, UK). My educational qualification is a 3 Year Diploma in Hotel Management from Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), PUSA, New Delhi, India.

Here is the problem - The diploma awarded by 'National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology' has not been recognised by the case officer at the Canadian High Commission in London and as a result she has refused my application. She has written in her response that she has not awarded me points for educational credentials as they do not meet R73 of IRPA which states

"educational credential" means any diploma, degree or trade or apprenticeship credential issued on the completion of a program of study or training at an educational or training institution recognized by the authorities responsible for registering, accrediting, supervising and regulating such institutions in the country of issue"

As most of the Indians on the forum will agree, there is no better Hotel Management Qualification in India than one from IHM. Besides, here are some key facts relevant to the case:

- IHM's are autonomous bodies under the administrative control of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
- IHM's run diploma and degree courses in Hotel Management under the Academic Direction/Supervision of 'National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology' - another autonomous body under administrative control of Government of India.

I am lost! here I am, with all transcripts for three years of study and the resulting diploma certificate which demonstrates that I have a Diploma and have completed a course of study. Further, the awarding body is, in effect, the Government of India (surely, since Goverment is the authority in any country, a Government Institute is de facto registered / recognised). And yet, for some reason, the case offices has judged this not to meet the requirements.

What should be my next steps? The refusal letter does not mention any appeal process etc - just flat resufal and that is it.

Can somebody lease help?! Anybody with similar experience -can you please share?

Many thanks and regards

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
captain74 said:
Hello All

I have applied for the FSW programme from UK (I am an Indian, with an Indian Passport, currently living in London, UK). My educational qualification is a 3 Year Diploma in Hotel Management from Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), PUSA, New Delhi, India.

Here is the problem - The diploma awarded by 'National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology' has not been recognised by the case officer at the Canadian High Commission in London and as a result she has refused my application. She has written in her response that she has not awarded me points for educational credentials as they do not meet R73 of IRPA which states

"educational credential" means any diploma, degree or trade or apprenticeship credential issued on the completion of a program of study or training at an educational or training institution recognized by the authorities responsible for registering, accrediting, supervising and regulating such institutions in the country of issue"

As most of the Indians on the forum will agree, there is no better Hotel Management Qualification in India than one from IHM. Besides, here are some key facts relevant to the case:

- IHM's are autonomous bodies under the administrative control of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
- IHM's run diploma and degree courses in Hotel Management under the Academic Direction/Supervision of 'National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology' - another autonomous body under administrative control of Government of India.

I am lost! here I am, with all transcripts for three years of study and the resulting diploma certificate which demonstrates that I have a Diploma and have completed a course of study. Further, the awarding body is, in effect, the Government of India (surely, since Goverment is the authority in any country, a Government Institute is de facto registered / recognised). And yet, for some reason, the case offices has judged this not to meet the requirements.

What should be my next steps? The refusal letter does not mention any appeal process etc - just flat resufal and that is it.

Can somebody lease help?! Anybody with similar experience -can you please share?

Many thanks and regards

iam sorry to hear that and hope better luck for you, i have no idea about the recognition of certificates and degrees in your country. in my country we know from the beginning that any educational institution is recognized by the government or not by checking with the ministry of high education so if they accept and recognize that institution they put their stamp on our certificates which means that it is officially recognized otherwise the certificates will not be valid inside or out side the country so it is very easy for us to know and understand before we begin any step which costs money and time in addition to removing any ambiguity from the beginning.

god helps you and good luck

coolguy001

Star Member
Oct 28, 2008
professional 1 said:
captain74 said:
Hello All

Many thanks and regards

iam sorry to hear that and hope better luck for you, i have no idea about the recognition of certificates and degrees in your country. in my country we know from the beginning that any educational institution is recognized by the government or not by checking with the ministry of high education so if they accept and recognize that institution they put their stamp on our certificates which means that it is officially recognized otherwise the certificates will not be valid inside or out side the country so it is very easy for us to know and understand before we begin any step which cost money and time in addition to remove any ambiguity from the beginning.

which country ur from

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
hi captain ,

which institute u passed out from .i did three years diploma in hotel management also from IHMCTAN Bhopal. i check the site of the institute it clearly says that it comes under government of India , ministry of tourism. you can forward them the link of the institute u passed out from..my college link is

www.ihmbhopal.com . also u can check the website www.nhmct.org .

also u can send them the link of brochure of admission form for the entrance exam whose link is
http://www.datamationfoundation.org/nchmct/Brochure-2009.pdf
it gives teh details about the institute..

if u check the page 14 of brochure it show all teh institutes.

good luck and keepme informed..

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolguy001 said:
professional 1 said:
captain74 said:
Hello All

Many thanks and regards

iam sorry to hear that and hope better luck for you, i have no idea about the recognition of certificates and degrees in your country. in my country we know from the beginning that any educational institution is recognized by the government or not by checking with the ministry of high education so if they accept and recognize that institution they put their stamp on our certificates which means that it is officially recognized otherwise the certificates will not be valid inside or out side the country so it is very easy for us to know and understand before we begin any step which cost money and time in addition to remove any ambiguity from the beginning.

which country ur from

Jordan

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks all for your replies so far.

Professional 1 - my diploma is awarded by a body that is itself a part of Government of India. That is why I am so surprised as the refusal to recognise the diploma. Surely, the government is the highest authority in any country and does not require any certifications for itself.

coolguy001 - I am from India

chefumang - I passed out from IHM Jaipur. Thanks for the links. I shall surely forward them on to the CHC in London. Do you know any IHM pass outs who have successfully migrated to Canada? Their experience might be very useful in erms of the insight it can provide.

Regards

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Is it possible for you to get a letter from ministry of education? I can imagine in some countries that one ministry might offer an educational qualification which is not officially recognized at a certain level by the ministry of education. So here is an example,

In some states in India, there are examples of engineering colleges that are registered as education institution in that state but AICTE does not recognize the qualification from those institutions as engineering degrees. But states of India are part of India so here is an example of degree granting institution whose degrees are not recognized by AICTE (but both the state and AICTE are part of India). So ultimately, I think for CIC, AICTE recognition is the main thing in this example.

is it possible for you to show that your diploma is recognized by an education governing body such as AICTE is for engineering.

Mine is just a suggestion, I don't know how these things work.

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
hi rupesh , how ru . hwos everything any update about ur case.
i am also a passed out student of ihmctan of bhopal and the brief about the college that they put intor about college is as follows

Brief History
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition Bhopal, is one of the pioneer Institutes in the country sponsored by Government of India, Ministry of Tourism for the overall development of Tourism & Hospitality Industry. This Institute came in to being w.e.f. 01.04.1986 which is designed to train youths at Supervisory and Management levels of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition to provide professionals for the Hospitality and other allied Industries

i hope it will help

rupeshhari said:
Is it possible for you to get a letter from ministry of education? I can imagine in some countries that one ministry might offer an educational qualification which is not officially recognized at a certain level by the ministry of education. So here is an example,

In some states in India, there are examples of engineering colleges that are registered as education institution in that state but AICTE does not recognize the qualification from those institutions as engineering degrees. But states of India are part of India so here is an example of degree granting institution whose degrees are not recognized by AICTE (but both the state and AICTE are part of India). So ultimately, I think for CIC, AICTE recognition is the main thing in this example.

is it possible for you to show that your diploma is recognized by an education governing body such as AICTE is for engineering.

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
another interesting link which is about right of information about various ministeries whic says as below has ihmctan in that:

Right To Information
Ministry wise Websites and their RTI links

the link of above website is

http://164.100.42.72/rti/ministry.asp?alphabet=T

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
My case is stuck in buffalo, but hope it moves sometime soon. Hows your application.

I don't doubt the legitimacy of the institute. My suggestion was a way to show that institutions that are setup to recognize qualifications such aicte recognizes this qualification from IMH. I am sure there are colleges in some states that have education license and just because they say (on the internet) that they have education license from a state doesn't mean their degree is recognized by AICTE. Do you know what i am trying to say? So the onus is on the applicant to show the validity of the degree. The evaluator might not know that in India, different ministeries can have their own qualifications without sanction from the education ministry.

To be honest, i am not sure why they are not recognizing it at CIC. I have no other idea on what the applicant can do. Perhaps showing what you wrote below on the institution's website may work.

chefumang said:
hi rupesh , how ru . hwos everything any update about ur case.
i am also a passed out student of ihmctan of bhopal and the brief about the college that they put intor about college is as follows

Brief History
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition Bhopal, is one of the pioneer Institutes in the country sponsored by Government of India, Ministry of Tourism for the overall development of Tourism & Hospitality Industry. This Institute came in to being w.e.f. 01.04.1986 which is designed to train youths at Supervisory and Management levels of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition to provide professionals for the Hospitality and other allied Industries

i hope it will help

rupeshhari said:

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
hi rupesh,

nothing is moving on my side. even after sending the documents, i ahve not received any acknowledgement from there side that they have received my documents. only the website shows documents received by cic office.

i did the hotel managment from one of the institute that belongs to national council for hotel managment and this organistaion is set up by ministry of tourism govt of india....so obviously its recognised...

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
yes but i know institutions in india that have license to teach from state government but not recognized by AICTE. So this case is not so obvious. For someone from outside India, there is no reason why they should accept ministry of tourism degrees but not degree from an institution licensed by states. There is no logic to it.

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
i found another site . this site is of ministry of tourism , govt of india and if u click on the link u will find the National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology (NCHMCT)

which is diploma awarding body for our college...

may eb if he will forward all these things it will be enough for them to decide in his favour.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
cgefumang and rupeshhari

Thanks for your suggestions - there is a lot of merit on what you say.

I have already drafted a letter to the programme manager for the FSW section at CHC London pointing out al the facts and relevant sections of the Govt websites. The question is

Should I approach them directly or engage a lawyer to approach them on my behalf? Remember, they have refused the application and not mentioned any appeal rights etc.

What do you think?

regards