+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please clear this confusion

sumit2626

Mar 20, 2011
i am being told that the 2 year course i have applied to i.e. PB diploma in international business even could be completed in 3 or 4 semesters..so all i want to know is that completing this program of 2 yrs in merely 3 semesters will make me eligible for 3 years work permit or in order to qualify for the same i would have to undergo 4 semesters..??
thanks in advance

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
hey man, i am living here in canada for one year now..But i am doing a 4 semester course, i do not understand how you can finish your course in 4 semesters..As a student here in Canada, i know semesters are very hard and its almost impossible in the field of business to complete your course in 4 semesters. Canadian diplomas generally have 4 semesters which is equal to 2 years and yes you are correct that if you complete a 2 year course which involves a study of 4 semesters, you can get a work permit for 3 years..But it is best for you to take your time in the course and study it for 4 semesters as a regular student, so you will get good grades and get a better job when you actually graduate...You really dont want to complicate things by completing your course in a rush..So its best to take your time, study all semesters, enjoy your time in Canada as a international student and after that get a work permit of 3 years..

Bye

ug83

Star Member
Apr 23, 2011
Hey Icecool..

bro how are the student part time job opportunities in Canada.......Can one manage to pay off the fees through part time work.....where are you studying..which course?

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes icecool,

Would also appreciate if you share information about part time jobs and salaries in Canada. How difficult/easy it is to get a part time job?

Thanks,
GS

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
ug83 said:
Hey Icecool..

bro how are the student part time job opportunities in Canada.......Can one manage to pay off the fees through part time work.....where are you studying..which course?
Man it depends where you live, i live in London Ontario, which is pretty small compared to some other cities such as toronto and vancouver...But to be honest i was very convinced that it will be easy to find a part time job here, but the truth is that its been 3 months since i got my off campus work permit and i am able to find nothing at all....And the funny thing is that alot of people i knew were saying that they will be able to pay off their tuition with a part-time job....Now they are realizing how hard it actually is in these economic times..Things are getting better but somebody with a lack of Canadian work experience will always have trouble to find a part time job..I am actually doing some volunteer work to get someting Canadian in my resume...Even tho i have a UK qualification as well, i am still having hard time to get something right...And dont work for the desis(indians), they are always looking to exploit students like you and me by hiring you illegaly and paying you in pennies..The best route is the legal route.. If your comming to Canada in hopes that you can actually pay off your tuition by working here than i am sorry to say that these are just dreams..Reality is really different here, i know people in toronto and even there they are not able to find jobs..Study well in Canada and than after you graduate with good grades there are alot of companies which can possibly hire you, but as my experience its still quite hard for a international student to find descent part time jobs...But you should always be looking, some of my friends got a job within 2 weeks of their arrival on campus others are waiting till now...Its really a matter of luck but the job market in Canada is quite tight too..

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
GS_Stud said:
Yes icecool,

Would also appreciate if you share information about part time jobs and salaries in Canada. How difficult/easy it is to get a part time job?

Thanks,
GS
I gave a detailed answer to the guy above you man..hope you find it useful, if you have any other questions, i will help if i can..

Shafraz

Jun 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hei icecool222,

wotz up?

Even I was in the UK for 3 1/2 yrs man.Now I have changed my mind to come to Canada and do a degree. How do you find life there in Canada? Is it better than UK for students?

If I can have your ideas plz mate

tnx

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks icecool,

Your post is very informative.

I think getting a job depends upon prior experience, luck and on the number of jobs available in the area. A big city might have more number of jobs, for example.

Could you give us a bit of details about living expenses: majorly rent, phone, food etc.

Thanks,
GS

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
Shafraz said:
hei icecool222,

wotz up?

Even I was in the UK for 3 1/2 yrs man.Now I have changed my mind to come to Canada and do a degree. How do you find life there in Canada? Is it better than UK for students?

If I can have your ideas plz mate

tnx
Canada is good and i think it is definately better than UK in terms of race relations. I know that BNP and other right wing parties in the UK are gaining a strong foothold, But Canada is also becoming more and more xenophobic because of the influx of more and more immigrants..But overall i would say that Canada is more accepting of immigrants than UK in general. Especially in big cities like montreal and toronto, people dont face such sort of problems where in UK immigration has become a really big deal for everyone...

Student life is also much better In canada than uk, however, canada is as expensive as the UK..Alotta people think that the UK is more expensive than Canada but in reality they are equal..Weather is good as well, and as Canada is in north america if you go to downtown areas in Toronto and other big cities, there is soo much to do..I live in a small city and i regret it, because in small cities generally jobs ooportunities are limited and people are closed minded as well..So its better for you to pick a big city like toronto,vancouver,montreal etc..Jobs are more for students compared with UK as well...And canada is much more fun to live in compared to uk...But to be honest if i could get a US visa which is so hard i would not have chosen any other country than the US...I also prefer countries like germany and netherlands before canada because they are fantastic and people there are generally nice to south asians, But the main reason i chosse canada was because of the PR prospects, in other european countries you cant even think about applying for PR but in Canada if you work hard and the luck is with you, you can get it..

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
GS_Stud said:
Thanks icecool,

Your post is very informative.

I think getting a job depends upon prior experience, luck and on the number of jobs available in the area. A big city might have more number of jobs, for example.

Could you give us a bit of details about living expenses: majorly rent, phone, food etc.

Thanks,
GS
Rent depends on where you are living, if your sharing an apartment with a friend in toronto, you need to search hard for better deals and the more you look the more options you get, in toronto you can share a room with a friend and the cost would be about $400-500 Per person all inclusive for a one bedroom and one living room apartment..depends how many of you share too..But i share with one of my friends here in london ontario and it costs s $330 per person all inclusive but than again i am not in toronto. I am in a small city.

For phone make a gmail account for your parents and than you can chat with them for free for hours and hours..of course you have to get a internet connection here in canada for that which costs about $45 a month but is cheaper than any calling card..My parents give me a miss call on the phone and i talk to them on gmail as long as i want to..Download google talk...but as a newcomer you will need a pay as you go phone, i got one for $35 and i paid about $20 dollar approximately a month, but as you will get settled in Canada you will need to get a contract phone which allow you to talk to people in Canada not just in India..Infact, the more Canadian contacts you make, the need for an contract phone will be increasing as well, so you can talk to them locally.....The good companies are rogers,bell,kudoo,Fido. I got a 3 year contract with rogers.

For food, there are alot of desi grocery stores here so no problem for that.

Have any more questions let me know, ts good to help out other people who are comming to Canada.

Reactions: jerrymsigwa

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Icecool,

Thanks a lot for the valuable information [+1 to your ranking].

Was waiting for your reply.

This means if somebody saves around 1000 CAD per month then he is good with all living and study expenses (excluding tuition fees and airfare). I believe, with your estimates, people can live as low as 700 CAD a month.

GS

Nightrocker

Feb 27, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2011
Med's Request
08-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2011
LANDED..........
23-08-2011
icecool222 said:
Rent depends on where you are living, if your sharing an apartment with a friend in toronto, you need to search hard for better deals and the more you look the more options you get, in toronto you can share a room with a friend and the cost would be about $400-500 Per person all inclusive for a one bedroom and one living room apartment..depends how many of you share too..But i share with one of my friends here in london ontario and it costs s $330 per person all inclusive but than again i am not in toronto. I am in a small city.

For phone make a gmail account for your parents and than you can chat with them for free for hours and hours..of course you have to get a internet connection here in canada for that which costs about $45 a month but is cheaper than any calling card..My parents give me a miss call on the phone and i talk to them on gmail as long as i want to..Download google talk...but as a newcomer you will need a pay as you go phone, i got one for $35 and i paid about $20 dollar approximately a month, but as you will get settled in Canada you will need to get a contract phone which allow you to talk to people in Canada not just in India..Infact, the more Canadian contacts you make, the need for an contract phone will be increasing as well, so you can talk to them locally.....The good companies are rogers,bell,kudoo,Fido. I got a 3 year contract with rogers.

For food, there are alot of desi grocery stores here so no problem for that.

Have any more questions let me know, ts good to help out other people who are comming to Canada.
Really nice information dear. What would you say about cities like Windsor, Missisuaga, waterloo, & hamilton. Are these small cities or are larger ones? And what about the minimum pay for students on campus?

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
ug83 said:
Also if you have any info of Saskatchewan job market and life of Saskatchewan province?
I am planning to move to saskatchewan after i get my diploma from Ontario, the only reason i am going there is because the PR is very easy compared to other provinces, they got there own PNP certificate program for foreign students...I am trying to look for that information too on the internet and from other sources, hopefully ill graduate and get a job in saskatchewan..gods will.
thanks

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
Nightrocker said:
Really nice information dear. What would you say about cities like Windsor, Missisuaga, waterloo, & hamilton. Are these small cities or are larger ones? And what about the minimum pay for students on campus?
I haven't been to Missisuaga or waterloo so i dont know, but i have been to winsdor, hamilton and niagara..Niagara is a good city because of the tourism there and hence there are more jobs there..But hamilton and winsdor are pretty much like London Ontario(where i live)...So they cannot be classified as a big cities, I think for a international student its best to go to cities like montreal,toronto,vancouver, But in the end most of the students end up in Saskatchewan hahaha because of their relatively easier PR system for students.

And yes most of the jobs on the campus pay a national minimum wage, which i think is $10.25 or $10.50 per hour.