+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLANS TO APPLY FOR STUDENT VISA MANILA TO CANADA

setokaiba

Jun 11, 2009
gud day, i have plans to apply for a student visa here manila, i have plans to apply at SIAST at saskechewan. My questions are:
1. DO i need to take a IELST or TOEFL exam
2. What papers needed by the time of interview

My course is Civil engineering and we have a business here in manila which is Engineering works and i have plans to take a business certificate at SIAST, my parents are already in US they are both green card holder and have work there, also i have a sister in US and i have also brothers and sister here in the philippines. I have money on the bank and the one who is going to support my financial needs are my parents. And also my Father petition us in America.

3. Do i have a chance to get a student permit?

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Hi Setokaiba,

To qualify for a student visa to Canada, you will have to prove strong ties to the Philippines which is your country of residence. I have answered some of your questions below:

setokaiba said:
gud day, i have plans to apply for a student visa here manila, i have plans to apply at SIAST at saskechewan. My questions are:
1. DO i need to take a IELST or TOEFL exam >>>> Please check with your school of choice, they may or may not require IELST or TOEFL. If info is not available ontheir website, try sending an email to their international student office. Also, make sure that SIAST accepts international students, most institutions do, but there are those which do not.

2. What papers needed by the time of interview>>>>> A list of documents and other requirements applicable to applicants from the Philippines should be available on the Canadian embassy website in Manila.

My course is Civil engineering and we have a business here in manila which is Engineering works and i have plans to take a business certificate at SIAST, my parents are already in US they are both green card holder and have work there, also i have a sister in US and i have also brothers and sister here in the philippines. I have money on the bank and the one who is going to support my financial needs are my parents. And also my Father petition us in America.

3. Do i have a chance to get a student permit? >>>>>> No one in this forum will be able to answer this question for sure. Have a look at the list of requirements and if you believe you will be able to meet those requirements easily then, chances are, you may very well be qualified. You will never know until you give it a try. Just make sure you submit proof of strong ties, ties which are strong enough to convince visa officers that you will return to Manila after your period of study.

Good luck to you.

loree_2009

Star Member
Jun 27, 2009
Hi!

Have you moved forward with your application? Please share your experience in applying for the said visa.

I am also from the Phil and interested to study in Canada.

Do share! ;-)

leila2009

Jul 22, 2009
Hi!
I'm from the Philippines too and I'm on a study permit here in Univ of Saskatchewan. I arrived here May 18, 2009.

1. The requirements of the institution where you plan to study would dictate the need for IELTS or TOEFL.
2. You might not even be interviewed by the Canadian embassy in Manila. (I wasn't interviewed!) You just arrange for your docs to be picked up by the embassy-designated courier. Check the website specific for application from Manila (www.manila.gc.ca). The step-by-step procedure is specified there. Note: Requirement is country specific so be sure to read from the site specific for Philippine application. Among other usual docs like passport, proof of funds, statement on the relevance of your planned study to your qualification, etc...YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE an admission letter from the educational institution. You should be admitted by SIAST before you start the application procedure for visa.
3. As the others have said we don't know but honest answers to the questions in the application form would avoid complications/problems.

Goodluck!

INSIGHT: The embassy will provide you with a student visa and reference letter, you will get your study permit on the point of entry in Canada after you show your reference letter to the immigration officer.

SIAST is close to U of S...Maybe I can meet you here ...

ckchan

Mar 23, 2010
Hi!

I was reading your post one the message boards, and I would like to ask you some questions regarding the student permit, if you don't mind.

How were you able to present a study plan? is it in a form of a letter? is your course relative to your previous studies/work background? thanks! Congrats for making it! God bless

sagittarianrn

Feb 1, 2011
Hi everyone!

Do you think it would help if I hire an immigration lawyer just to have a higher chance of SV approval?

I am a nurse here in the Philippines and I am planning to pursue a post graduate course in Canada. I am just not confident with my case. Is it wise to seek consult from an immigration lawyer?

To those who have successfully been given an SV by the Canadian embassy, please email me at etsingayan@gmail.com or reply to this thread. I badly need consult as soon as possible..

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sagittarianrn said:
Hi everyone!

Do you think it would help if I hire an immigration lawyer just to have a higher chance of SV approval?

There is no better chance. Unless you cannot understand the documentation or fill out forms, you still have to provide the information to the lawyer (and their fees).

I am a nurse here in the Philippines and I am planning to pursue a post graduate course in Canada. I am just not confident with my case. Is it wise to seek consult from an immigration lawyer?

To those who have successfully been given an SV by the Canadian embassy, please email me at etsingayan @ gmail.com or reply to this thread. I badly need consult as soon as possible..

arwen_audrey

Aug 28, 2011
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2012, application resent and received 12-03-2012
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
DD ENCASHED: 19-03-2012, PER: 27-03-2012
File Transfer...
RBVO: 16-04-2012, AOR vIa Snail Mail: 20-04-2012
sagittarianrn said:
Hi everyone!

To those who have successfully been given an SV by the Canadian embassy, please email me at etsingayan @ gmail.com or reply to this thread. I badly need consult as soon as possible..
hi,

what particular post graduate course do u plan to pursue? care to share which uni you are looking into? also which province in canada it is located?

candelight

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2011
Hi kyu010170,

I was refused the first time and will apply again as soon as possible. In the mean time, I bought a property to strengthen my ties to our beloved country. Unfortunately, it would take about three months to receive the title. Do you think the Deed of Absolute Sale is enough to be included in my application rather than waiting for the title which can delay my submission? My class will start in January.

Thanking you in advance.

sagittarianrn

Feb 1, 2011
Posted by: Baloo
Insert Quote
Quote from: sagittarianrn on August 29, 2011, 04:15:12 am
Hi everyone!

There is no better chance. Unless you cannot understand the documentation or fill out forms, you still have to provide the information to the lawyer (and their fees).

Thanks Baloo for your insight.

The reason why I am not confident with my case is because I have a lot of questions relating to needed documents. I will just post my questions here just in case some of you have answers to them. I would greatly appreciate those who have experience in SV application to answer my queries.

1.) My proof of funds is not enough. I don't have the exact figures yet since I have just sent in my application last week and is expecting to receive the LOA (just in case) by the end of this month. Anyways, the POF will come from my account (which has been matured for 4 months already) and my mother's. However, what we've come up is not yet sufficient since I'll be taking a year (3 semester) course (as opposed to the originally planned 2 semester course). If my estimation is correct, I still lack around $CAN 7000. My question is can I have someone (a relative or friend) as a sponsor for the lacking POF? Wouldn't that make my case weaker?

2.) I checked the requirements specific for our country (Philippines) and I did not see in the checklist the need to submit anything to prove home ties. For reference, I pasted the checklist here.

DOCUMENT CHECKLIST - Each applicant must provide:
-  Completed “Application for a Study Permit” (IMM1294). If your spouse or common-law partner and/or
children are planning to accompany you, they will each need to complete the appropriate application form.
Note that school-age children must apply for a Study Permit also.
-  Completed “Personal Information form”, available from the Embassy website at: www.philippines.gc.ca. A
separate form should be completed by your spouse or common-law partner if accompanying.
-  Two photos of you and each accompanying family member, meeting the requirements of the Appendix
below – Photo Specifications. On the back of one photo (and only one) in each set, write the name and
date of birth of the person appearing in the photo.
-  The correct processing fee. Fees must be paid by manager’s cheque, certified cheque, postal money order
or bank draft payable to the “Canadian Embassy, Manila”. Cheques and PMOs should be valid for at least
6 months upon submission of your application. Cash will NOT be accepted and processing fee is nonrefundable.
-  Current passport (valid for six months after the date of intended entry to Canada), and old passports
showing previous travel. If the laminate on the biopage is disturbed around the photo, a new passport is
required. In order to save valuable time, please obtain a new passport prior to submitting your application.
Note: To ensure timely processing and facilitate your travel, we strongly recommend that you submit the
new red-coloured passports currently being issued by the Philippines authorities as they are in compliance
with the machine-readable passport requirement of the International Civil Aviation Organization.
-  Proof of acceptance from an educational institution.
 A personal study plan: a description of your proposed program of studies as it relates to your academic,
technical, or vocational background
 If 18 years old or over, an NBI certificate (Original Copy) issued within the last 3 months and marked with
dry seal and your thumbprint (Personal Copy not acceptable).
-  Proof of accumulated funds to support yourself (and your dependents if applicable). These should include,
-but are not limited to proof of financial documents by whoever is paying, such as income tax documents,
bank records for the past 24 months (bank books and statements), fixed deposits, Confirmation of
scholarship [amount in dollars and duration] from the institution or other Organization
-  If you have paid tuition fees, proof of any tuition paid in advance
-  If studying in Québec, a valid “Certificat d’acceptation du Québec” (CAQ).
-  Use of a Representative (IMM 5476), if applicable

If someone other than yourself or your parents are providing funding, you may provide:
-  Letter of explanation as the reason they are assisting
-  Evidence of their financial ability: a verifiable information from a third party source of your host’s income
-  If financial assistance is being provided by someone in Canada, you may provide proof of their immigration
status, such as a copy of the citizenship card or Permanent Resident Card.
Please note that the individual who will provide financial support may wish to provide the above information on a
voluntary basis. The application will be assessed based on the documentation and financial resources provided
Where will the proof of home ties come in? Are these supplementary documents that I need to attach even it's not in the checklist? Or are these documents that I need to provide in order to support the Study Plan indicating that I have strong ties with my home country.

Also, I have a house property but it is loaned. Can I use that to provide evidence of home times even if it is loaned? I also have insurances, can I use them too?

Hoping to receive answers to my queries.

Thanks in advance for your reply.