+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to get masters w/intent to get PR. So many questions! HELP!

katethegreat

Aug 22, 2013
Hello,

I'm planning to apply for a masters degree program and want eventually get PR.
Ontario has International Masters Graduate stream and I think it fits my bill but not sure.
It says on the website that I won't need a job offer to be eligible, and it looks safer than other PNPs.
Almost... looks too good to be true, isn't it?..
Anyhow,

Summary of myself:
0. Asian, working/living in Asia
1. have B.S. Business Admin, concentration in Finance Analysis (from a state uni in the USA, GPA 3.9/4.0)
2. have 2 1/2 yrs of work exp. (admin work with heavy weight on corporate finance) - by the time of application I would have 3 yrs of exp.
3. have just enough fund to support myself through studying masters(1 to 1 1/2yr) and following gap(less than 1yr) before I land a decent job.
4. IELTS overall band 7.5 (nothing under 6.0)
5. have NO GRE/GMAT score
6. like to pursue MA in Economics and then work in finance industry

I'm considering following unis' MA Econ programs:
1. U of Waterloo
2. Ryerson Univ.
3. York Univ.
4. McMaster Univ.
5. Carleton Univ.

And my questions are...:
1. What are the chances of me getting admission from those schools?
2. With MA Econ degree from one of those schools, do I stand a chance to get a job in Toronto Area? (or Ottawa, for Carleton Univ.)
3. How long is it gonna take from the start of the school to PR? (3 to 4 yrs?)
4. Is a masters degree in Econ even "appropriate" for PR applicant? What kind of field of study is better in terms of getting PR?

As you could see, friends, I am so confused it hurts my brain.
Please help me with the questions I have.
I'd appreciate any general advice also!

Kate

ckckckck

Mar 2, 2013
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waitin!!!!! under general category
LANDED..........
hope i ll
hey, any general aplicant got email???? , wot abou the pp dispatched within last two days?

farhansk

Star Member
Aug 25, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 JULY 2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
7 November 2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
15 January 2015
Med's Request
24 January 2015
Med's Done....
07 February 2015 MEDICALS RECEIVED 15 FEB [PP BIO PAGES,PCC,MR,RPRF ONLINE RECEIPT SENT ON 9TH FEB 2015]
Interview........
Waived Insha Allah
Passport Req..
DECISION MADE 21 MARCH 2015 , PPR 16 APRIL , PP SUBMITTED 16 APRIL
VISA ISSUED...
SOON IN SHAA ALLAH
LANDED..........
END OF MAY IN SHAA ALLAH
Sad no body answered your questions?? must say a very interesting topic and I have the same intent but have not got any proper source to get answers. I will be following your post as well. hoping for the best.

farhaantariq

May 12, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
katethegreat said:
Hello,

I'm planning to apply for a masters degree program and want eventually get PR.
Ontario has International Masters Graduate stream and I think it fits my bill but not sure.
It says on the website that I won't need a job offer to be eligible, and it looks safer than other PNPs.
Almost... looks too good to be true, isn't it?..
Anyhow,

Summary of myself:
0. Asian, working/living in Asia
1. have B.S. Business Admin, concentration in Finance Analysis (from a state uni in the USA, GPA 3.9/4.0)
2. have 2 1/2 yrs of work exp. (admin work with heavy weight on corporate finance) - by the time of application I would have 3 yrs of exp.
3. have just enough fund to support myself through studying masters(1 to 1 1/2yr) and following gap(less than 1yr) before I land a decent job.
4. IELTS overall band 7.5 (nothing under 6.0)
5. have NO GRE/GMAT score
6. like to pursue MA in Economics and then work in finance industry

I'm considering following unis' MA Econ programs:
1. U of Waterloo
2. Ryerson Univ.
3. York Univ.
4. McMaster Univ.
5. Carleton Univ.

And my questions are...:

As you could see, friends, I am so confused it hurts my brain.
Please help me with the questions I have.
I'd appreciate any general advice also!

Kate
1. What are the chances of me getting admission from those schools?

answer: contact them on their international student section, email them ur all details, they will tell u exactly what u can do or avail. each college or uni has its own requirements.

2. With MA Econ degree from one of those schools, do I stand a chance to get a job in Toronto Area? (or Ottawa, for Carleton Univ.)

answer: do some research, try to study that field which is in demand in Canada, u can search the net for high demand occupations in Canada and then go for one which suits u according to ur future plans and past background. it will help u secure good jobs and in less time. forget about wat u want to study....ur aim is to earn and get PR....so hell with wat u want...just do wat is in demand :)

3. How long is it gonna take from the start of the school to PR? (3 to 4 yrs?)

answer: there are several options for intl. grad. in Canada. provincial nomination, CES, PHD stream, some others. normally with masters and 1 year exp, u can apply under CES, if doing PHD which is normally 3 to4 year program, after 2 year of PHD u can apply under phd stream, no job offer or experience req but u have to satisfy all FSWP conditions, for provincial nomination programs....plz visit their respective websites and get info there.

4. Is a masters degree in Econ even "appropriate" for PR applicant? What kind of field of study is better in terms of getting PR?

answer: with any masters grad u have to get 1 year work exp....then u will b eligible to apply for PR. dude do the search, go for high demand occupation in Canada, study them........forget abt Econ or wat ever if its not in demand.....get job easily and faster and then PR......to hell with other things :D. remember ur aim is not Master or phd of ECON........u r going for job and PR so focus on it.

hope this answers the questions and satisfies u. pls consult other senior and experienced members also. I may be wrong.

regards