+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLAN for SUCCESS in CANADA

ACUMEN

Jun 6, 2013
Hi Friends,

What do Microsoft, Ebay, Netflix, and Target have in common? All these companies (and many more) have used LinkedIn to recruit candidates for employment.

Kay Luo, (former) Director of Corporate Communications at LinkedIn, explains why, "The main reason that companies are using LinkedIn is to find passive job candidates. Another reason why companies are using LinkedIn, is because referrals from their employees are highly valued because they typically have a higher success rate (hence the popular "employee referral bonuses"). LinkedIn helps companies leverage the networks of their employees."

How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job - Or Have a Job Find You

• Create a Profile. Create a detailed profile on LinkedIn, including employment (current and past), education, industry, and websites.

• Consider a Photo. You can add a photo (a headshot is recommended or upload a larger photo and edit it) to your LinkedIn profile. Note that it must be a small photo - no larger than 80x80 pixels.

• Keywords and Skills. Include all your resume keywords and skills in your profile, so your profile will be found.

• Build Your Network. Connect with other members and build your network. The more connections you have, the more opportunities you have, with one caveat from Kay Luo (former) Director of Corporate Communications at LinkedIn, "Connect to people you know and trust or have a business relationship with, no need to go crazy and connect with everyone."

• Get Recommendations. Recommendations from people you have worked with carry a lot of weight.

• Search Jobs. Use the job search section to find job listings.

• Use Answers. The Answers section of LinkedIn is a good way to increase your visibility. Respond to questions, and ask a question if you need information or assistance.

• Stay Connected. Use LinkedIn Mobile (m.linkedin.com) to view profiles, invite new connections, and access to LinkedIn Answers from your phone.

Shah_KL

Mar 13, 2013
RajeevPillai said:
I landed in Toronto with my wife in January 2013. Applied for a career bridge internship at one of the Govt companies. Worked as an intern for 4 months, earning $2333/month. Last week they offered me a full time position with a starting salary of $40,000 per year :D
Hi Rajeev Pillai,

Could you please share your experience about getting the internship from the career bridge ? Did you assessed your educational certificates? What else is required ? Please share...

Thanks

ACUMEN

Jun 6, 2013
Today I will give you some tips for creating LinkedIn profile:

LinkedIn Profile Tips

One of the most important parts of LinkedIn is your profile. That's what you use to connect with people in your network and your profile is how you get found on LinkedIn, because it contains information about your skills and experience.
In addition, your LinkedIn profile can increase your visibility online and help you build your professional brand that showcases your background to prospective employers. Here are tips for how to make your LinkedIn profile stand out from the crowd.

LinkedIn Profile Tips

It's important to be sure that your LinkedIn profile is complete and detailed. In fact, you can consider your LinkedIn profile your online resume. It should have all the same information that is on your resume including your qualifications, your experience, and your skills.

You can add a photo (a headshot) to your LinkedIn profile. Do be sure the photo represents the professional you and isn't too casual. Here's how to take and choose a photo for your LinkedIn profile.

Don't forget to make your profile public - that's how the world can find it.

The Summary section of your LinkedIn profile is a great way to highlight your experience.
Don't forget the headline, because that's right at the top of the page when someone views your profile. Also include certifications, languages, and other skills you may have.

The more robust your profile, the more you will get noticed.

Select an industry, because recruiters often use that field to search.

Linkedin Profile Experience

In a nutshell, the Experience section of your LinkedIn profile is your online resume. Include employment (current and past), education, and industry.
To quickly create a LinkedIn profile, review your resume and copy/paste the relevant information into your profile.

LinkedIn Profile: Volunteer Experience and Causes

A LinkedIn survey reports that volunteer experience can give job candidates an edge with hiring managers. 41% of the professionals surveyed stated that when they are evaluating candidates, they consider volunteer work equally as valuable as paid work experience. 20% of the hiring managers surveyed have made a hiring decision based on a candidate's volunteer work experience.
To add the Volunteer Experience and Causes field to your LinkedIn Profile:

After logging in, click "Profile" at the top of LinkedIn.
Click the "Add Sections" hyperlink.
Select "Volunteer Experience & Causes."
Click the "Add to Profile" button and then fill out the applicable fields.

I will cover rest of the profile part latter.

ACUMEN

Jun 6, 2013
Next steps of LinkedIn profile creation

LinkedIn Profile Additional Information

Use the Additional Information section of your LinkedIn profile to include links to your company, your website, your blog, your Twitter account, and/or to other sites that provide professional information about you.

LinkedIn Profile Recommendations

Take time to request LinkedIn recommendations. Recommendations from people you have worked with carry a lot of weight. To a potential employer, a LinkedIn recommendation is a reference in advance.
The best way to get recommendations is to give them. When you recommend a LinkedIn member you are attesting to their qualifications and people love being recommended. They will most likely reciprocate if you take the time to recommend them.
On a "what not to do on LinkedIn" note, don't ask people you don't know for references. I got an email message recently that said "I wouldn't mind a few words of recommendation if any of you know me." That's not how to ask for a recommendation, even if you know someone
How to Turn off Linkedin Activity Broadcasts

• When you're job searching and don't want your employer to know that you're updating your LinkedIn profile, it's a good idea to turn off your activity broadcasts. Here's how to set your account so your updates don't show in your feed:

• Click: Settings (Under your name on top right of page)
• Click: Turn on/off your activity broadcasts (under Privacy, center of page)
• Click to uncheck box: Let people know when you change your profile, make recommendations, or follow companies
• Click: Save
You can also change who can view your activity feed. Options include:
• Everyone
• Your Network
• Your Connections
• Only You
If you change it to "Only You" nobody will be able to view your updates.

What Not to Include in Your LinkedIn Profile

When you're creating a LinkedIn profile, it's important to stand out from the job searching crowd. You don't want your profile to read exactly like everyone else's profile. Here are the top 10 terms that are overused by professionals based in the United States, courtesy of LinkedIn.

• Extensive experience
• Innovative
• Motivated
• Results-oriented
• Dynamic
• Proven track record
• Team player
• Fast-paced
• Problem solver
• Entrepreneurial

Apply With LinkedIn Button

When you're applying for a job with a company that uses the Apply With LinkedIn plugin, you'll be able to apply directly for the position with your LinkedIn profile.
Click on the Apply with LinkedIn button, edit your profile, if need be, to be sure it's a strong match for the job you are applying for, before submitting.
Once you submit your profile, you'll see a list of your connections at the company who may be able to provide a referral for the job.
In addition, you can manage your job submissions using the Apply with LinkedIn button when you go to your LinkedIn.com "Saved Jobs" tab to view the jobs you have applied for.

ravercwb

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
03-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-07-2013
LANDED..........
Before August 2013
Hi Gary

I am still waiting for my visa, however I believe it's should be coming pretty soon.

I've been living in the United States for the past 7 years, where I reached relatively high success in both carrier and education.

I graduated with high honors in business administration with concentration in finance.

My question for you: how different it is the Canadian job market from the USA job market? Will my north American experience (professional a day educational) help me getting a decent job when I arrive?

I already am on indeed . com and LinkedIn.

Thanks for the advices.

Ravercwb

ravercwb

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
03-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-07-2013
LANDED..........
Before August 2013
There are many useful information on this website, including different types of resumes.
http://sharongraham.ca

ACUMEN

Jun 6, 2013
Ensure that you have the Right Keywords When Applying for Jobs Online

Make the most of any opportunity by using these tips and tricks to be sure your resume goes to the top of the list.
Applying for a job online can be a lot like a guessing game.
For all the effort you put into marketing your experience and qualifications, the deciding factor that gets your resume into the hands of an actual person often comes down to using the right keywords.
Most companies rely on computer software programs to review thousands of resumes and select the ones with particular keywords — not necessarily impressive accomplishments — so they can then be reviewed by a recruiter and, eventually, a hiring manager.
Unfortunately for job seekers, these all-powerful keywords aren’t revealed in the job description — at least not overtly.
The best way to crack the code of these applicant tracking systems (ATS) is to put yourself in the mind of the recruiter and take your best guess at what phrases they would use to search for the best applicants for the position.
When it comes to the automated systems, the problem you have is that the only way a recruiter is going to actually find you is if you have keywords in your resume that they have in their brain at the time. The person who shoots to the top is the person who has more than one keyword. Once the keywords are identified,they need to be used early and often within the resume, possibly in multiple forms.
For example, if an aspiring accountant is applying for a job that cites “deep knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley” in the job description, the phrases “Sarbanes-Oxley” and its common acronym “SOX” should each be referenced in that resume several times so it will be noticed and given priority by the ATS.
Of course, you don’t want to repeat the same sentence either, change the context each time.

Experts have taken to calling this the “recruiting black hole” because so many resumes — good resumes — fall in, seemingly never to be seen again. But keeping in mind these tips on getting your resume through applicant tracking systems and the rules about e-mailing your resume to a recruiter will help you optimize your chances for getting noticed and moving on to the next step, snaring an interview.

Allegra66

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Having read with interest some of the post concerning life and getting jobs in Canada, I will interject as follows as a new immigrant here myself having moved here last year from Europe. There are many posts that tell you about survival jobs and getting your resume's right. The reality is that Canada does things differently. Emphasis are not placed on your skills but more on knowing the right people. Referrals and softer skills are more valued here than your technical skills or qualifications.
One of the first things to o is start applying for jobs before you get here. On arrival, try attending one of these programmes geared at new immigrants. Here, they talk to you and teach you (beneficial to those who do not have these skills) the skills employers here are looking for and also support with applications. Some also refer you for internships usually unpaid for between 3-4 months and if lucky, can get hired in said company. These programmes I found invaluable especially, with Networking aspects particularly, in your professional field as this is key to finding the right jobs. I see too many immigrants rush quickly into so-called survival jobs and these are the jobs they are still undertaking years later as Canada is expensive and the need to put food on the table then outweighs pursuing one's chosen career. If further training is required do your research before rushing to take courses which employers may or ay not value.
Having done all these does it mean you will get the right job, No!! But you could look to starting in your field but in a much lower role. This is where understanding how to present yourself on your résumé is important as all your qualifications and skills may mean you are overlooked. Many a times, you would be more qualified than your counterparts so discretion is key. When you get into the lower role then you begin to show your skills and dependent on the company, you might find it easier to climb the ladder and if not, move on. The important thing is having gained the so-called Canadian experience which the employers are looking for. Remember, there are no quick fixes and no one individual can help with resumes etc. You, need to do your homework. Things are a lot slower here depending on what part of the world you have emigrated from but it does get better. Good luck to all.

husman

May 27, 2013
Jeddah
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2013
Doc's Request.
CC Charged 21-08-2013 PER Received 27-08-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
File Transfer...
24-10-2013
Med's Request
23-01-2014, RPRF Request 23-01-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014 Meds received 28-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2014, PCC request 23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
PCC, RPRF, MR Slips, PP sent 10 am 04-03-2014
LANDED..........
Landed on 31st Jan 2015 waiting for PRcard
ACUMEN said:
Hi Friends,

Firstly let me congratulate you all for deciding to immigrate to Canada- The country of opportunities.
I am starting a new topic to help new immigrants find the jobs they deserve. And as all of us will appreciate “The FIRST JOB” is where it all begins.

The rush and the excitement of getting that first job can rarely be matched.

That first job in Canada is not only important from the perspective of being able to earn money and being self-independent and self-reliant but also because this job will very well define our identities and what kind of life we will have.

“Getting the first job according to one's experience and qualification” is the biggest challenge all the new skilled immigrants' face that come to Canada. Wealth one has gets reduced by multiple times when you convert your money to Canadian dollars. It's really scary when people just write off all the education and training one has had in a jiffy. The only advice a new immigrants are given is to start with a survival job as soon as possible. Jobs like security guard, construction laborers, gas station worker are the only options one has. Keeping idealism aside the reality of “paying the bills” catches up very fast. Sadly enough when you demean your capabilities for some time going back to your original profession becomes impossible.

We advise you to take steps to equip yourself so that this never happens to you and fulfill all “Canadian dreams” you would have. All you need are the right marketing tools and guidance to make you shine.

Cheers.

Gary

Thanks Gary for such an informative thread....how is the job market for health care....job prospects for Physiotherapists and Occupational therapists what is ur take on the above professions......,can v easily find jobs or is it very difficult?

husman

May 27, 2013
Jeddah
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2013
Doc's Request.
CC Charged 21-08-2013 PER Received 27-08-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
File Transfer...
24-10-2013
Med's Request
23-01-2014, RPRF Request 23-01-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014 Meds received 28-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2014, PCC request 23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
PCC, RPRF, MR Slips, PP sent 10 am 04-03-2014
LANDED..........
Landed on 31st Jan 2015 waiting for PRcard
[/quote]

Thanks Gary for such an informative thread....how is the job market for health care....job prospects for Physiotherapists and Occupational therapists what is ur take on the above professions......,can v easily find jobs or is it very difficult?

RajeevPillai

Star Member
Jan 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2009
LANDED..........
15-04-2011
ravercwb said:
Hi Gary

I am still waiting for my visa, however I believe it's should be coming pretty soon.

I've been living in the United States for the past 7 years, where I reached relatively high success in both carrier and education.

I graduated with high honors in business administration with concentration in finance.

My question for you: how different it is the Canadian job market from the USA job market? Will my north American experience (professional a day educational) help me getting a decent job when I arrive?

I already am on indeed . com and LinkedIn.

Thanks for the advices.

Ravercwb
Lived in USA for US for 7 years and can't even spell 'career'. Pity!!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
RajeevPillai said:
I landed in Toronto with my wife in January 2013. Applied for a career bridge internship at one of the Govt companies. Worked as an intern for 4 months, earning $2333/month. Last week they offered me a full time position with a starting salary of $40,000 per year :D
Congrats, now you can start enjoying Canada.

I landed last February and went back to my country after receiving the PR card - my plan - is to return permanently by end of this year

I'd like to know more details about the "bridge internship" - how did you manage to get it? Was it through an employment agency or
have you applied directly to the Govt. company? What is your professional field by the way?

Regards