+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

place of birth differ on birth certificate and passport

MandeepSinghBatth

Sep 24, 2018
hi all,
I am PR in Canada, i want to sponsor my wife under family sponsorship. Place of birth in my wife's birth certificate and passport differ. is it acceptable if i use affidavit explaining the mistake when i apply for my wife's PR? or I have to make correction before applying?
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hi all,
I am PR in Canada, i want to sponsor my wife under family sponsorship. Place of birth in my wife's birth certificate and passport differ. is it acceptable if i use affidavit explaining the mistake when i apply for my wife's PR? or I have to make correction before applying?
Thanks
You can just write a letter of explanation (best if it is from your wife). No need to get it formalized with an affidavit (which is after all just a lawyer signing and saying "she said this").

Now: small caveat, it sort of depends what the error is - I'm assuming it's something like the common issue of saying region instead of city or a city/town that no longer exists, then probably will simply be accepted. (Most cities in Canada are the result of continual amalgamation of smaller villages too).

If the mistake is that it's radically different - like birth certificate says born in North Korea and the passport says Los Angeles, that might need correcting or a more serious explanation.

[And sure, would be 'better' to get it fixed, but if it's a simple difference that you can explain it probably won't matter.]

MandeepSinghBatth

Sep 24, 2018
You can just write a letter of explanation (best if it is from your wife). No need to get it formalized with an affidavit (which is after all just a lawyer signing and saying "she said this").

Now: small caveat, it sort of depends what the error is - I'm assuming it's something like the common issue of saying region instead of city or a city/town that no longer exists, then probably will simply be accepted. (Most cities in Canada are the result of continual amalgamation of smaller villages too).

If the mistake is that it's radically different - like birth certificate says born in North Korea and the passport says Los Angeles, that might need correcting or a more serious explanation.

[And sure, would be 'better' to get it fixed, but if it's a simple difference that you can explain it probably won't matter.]

I thank you for your reply, the issue is birth certificate says place of birth is a village, passport says a city under which the village (which is on birth certificate) comes. That village is in the region which is on passport. do you think it will be acceptable?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I thank you for your reply, the issue is birth certificate says place of birth is a village, passport says a city under which the village (which is on birth certificate) comes. That village is in the region which is on passport. do you think it will be acceptable?
I think that's a very normal situation, just include a letter of explanation saying what you said above.

Reactions: YVR123

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

Hi, Need your inputs. I am about to apply for my citizenship. There is a mis-spell in my birth place on my Indian passport but when i had applied for PR i had submitted my birth certificate where there is a correct birth place. However, i didn't get any queries then. My COPR has the correct birth place. My indian passport has mis-spelled one. So while filling the citizenship form where is asks for "Place of birth"- do i write the correct place of birth and attach birth certificate in the supporting documents? Or i should get an affidavit for this??
Note: there is an extra letter at the end . thats the mis-spell , not much of a mistake. Instead of "Bengaluru" it was mis-spelled as "Bengalurau"

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, Need your inputs. I am about to apply for my citizenship. There is a mis-spell in my birth place on my Indian passport but when i had applied for PR i had submitted my birth certificate where there is a correct birth place. However, i didn't get any queries then. My COPR has the correct birth place. My indian passport has mis-spelled one. So while filling the citizenship form where is asks for "Place of birth"- do i write the correct place of birth and attach birth certificate in the supporting documents? Or i should get an affidavit for this??
Note: there is an extra letter at the end . thats the mis-spell , not much of a mistake. Instead of "Bengaluru" it was mis-spelled as "Bengalurau"
Do the correct spelling and include a copy of whatever has the correct spelling. Although it won't matter much, there is almost no circumstance where anyone cares except in some instances the country.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Do the correct spelling and include a copy of whatever has the correct spelling. Although it won't matter much, there is almost no circumstance where anyone cares except in some instances the country.
Sure. Thanks for your response

oh yeah may be thats the reason there wasn’t an issue during PR as well. I get it now. Country is that what matters the most!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sure. Thanks for your response

oh yeah may be thats the reason there wasn’t an issue during PR as well. I get it now. Country is that what matters the most!
To be honest, don't even know why they include city any more, probably some holdover from 19th century.

I guess it does help somewhat in identification, although given the issues with consistency for municipalities (changing names, municipalities absorbing others, etc), I'm not sure how much it helps.

Last edited:

Preet.s

Mar 18, 2024
Hi I’m on same boat, I came to Canada on March 25,2014 on my record of landing my birthplace is different but country is same India, even I put the wrong city name while I was applying for my citizenship application. So now I have to apply for my Canadian passport should i put the right birthplace that is on my birth certificate and my Indian passport?

Preet.s

Mar 18, 2024
Also do I have attach any documents like Indian birth certificate or do I have to tell ircc about this issue?