+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pl HELP! How to get 3yr PGWP

sherryhouxy

Jul 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have completed my master degree, which is 1 an half year study and 1 year co-op.

But when I applied for my PGWP, CIC only gave me one and half year. :(
Due to the urgent request from my employer, I went to rainbow bridge to get my work permit, although i also applied through CIC website.
But it took too long, so when I was waiting, I also went to Niagara falls immigration office to get my work permit.
Then what happen is they give me only 1 and half year. I didn't know that I can ask for 3 years.

But know my work permit will expire soon and I am waiting for my PR. But I really don't want to go through the process for open work permit again.
How can I get my 3 years work permit??

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks very much.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
First of all, the PGWP is a one-time shot and permit, meaning you cannot apply again for another.

Also, you cannot "ask" for how many years you want, but they issue it based on your studies.
Having said that, if your studies are:

Quote from CIC ----> A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the length of your studies in Canada.

If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program

less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)

two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years

So that's why your permit has that length, no issues at all. Your assumption that you should get "your 3 year work permit" is wrong.

FYI, there are also cases where students have studied more than 2 years and still DID NOT get a 3 year permit, e.g. 18 months consecutive studies, got 18 months of permit, although it was a 2 year program..