Med's Request
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2015
Good luck with your interview. Wondering why did it take them month and a half to call you for an interview!
I thought time to call for interview is before start processing LPP! Has anyone else been asked to attend interview with 2/3rd of LPP already completed?

Vratesh

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
I know a guy who is the same boat (everything complete but for physical presence) and has been invited for interview on the 19th. In fact he has 1400+ days of physical presence, but I believe only reason his physical presence is not complete is because he is currently outside Canada. I have a feeling he will get oath on the same day of interview.

dejected

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
I know a guy who is the same boat (everything complete but for physical presence) and has been invited for interview on the 19th. In fact he has 1400+ days of physical presence, but I believe only reason his physical presence is not complete is because he is currently outside Canada. I have a feeling he will get oath on the same day of interview.
This ubiquitous myth of “outside Canada” is being applied to any scenario where there is something beyond comprehension and does not involve invoking any rationality.

SagarP

Jan 27, 2017
This ubiquitous myth of “outside Canada” is being applied to any scenario where there is something beyond comprehension and does not involve invoking any rationality.
To @Vratesh's credit, I am indeed outside Canada and took my citizenship test outside as well. There is merit to the statement as other applicants outside Canada have mentioned the same interview request.

Also, thanks @NAAJ! Hoping the interview goes well. Nervous that my long absence during the eligibility period and current absence might cause issue even though I meet all eligibility requirements. Seems like intent to reside in Canada may also come up. No idea how to even prepare.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
To @Vratesh's credit, I am indeed outside Canada and took my citizenship test outside as well. There is merit to the statement as other applicants outside Canada have mentioned the same interview request.

Also, thanks @NAAJ! Hoping the interview goes well. Nervous that my long absence during the eligibility period and current absence might cause issue even though I meet all eligibility requirements. Seems like intent to reside in Canada may also come up. No idea how to even prepare.
Indeed. I do remember reading @Dreamlad case where they did not provide him an oath date till he landed in Canada. It was a long wait even after he landed in Canada.

dejected

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
I believe this is a general “feeling” of the applicants and this feeling has now attained a mythological status.
while delay could have happened due to multiple reasons (including being outside).
remember, the way people are comparing their applications to others based on the “apparent” speed of processing is NOT how IRCC looks at and perceives the avenues an application is to be processed and there is no way we, the applicants can generally grasp it.

so, I don’t put too much weight on this “being outside Canada” thing so ubiquitously prevalent in the psyche of the applicants.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In regards to the subject of this thread and the OP's query, that has been largely addressed, including in particular here:
this normally happens when you are close to 1095 days and have travels during the eligibility period. They have to look at everything closely and many times they go for second review if officer is not clear about anything. This is my experience from multiple posts on this forum and is NOT official reasoning.
It is not apparent the OP's application is even subject to a delay. Processing timelines vary considerably.

That said, applying with 1100 days is cutting-it-close, close enough there is a significant risk IRCC could have moved the application into a processing stream in which the application is subject to more scrutiny, more screening, than it otherwise would have. Odds are this will not cause a significant delay UNLESS there is additional cause for concern. Since this is entirely within the scope of investigatory processing, IRCC does NOT share information about it, not even as to the application being in a queue for such screening.

Unfortunately, RQ-related non-routine processing, especially if it involves either a referral to CBSA NSSD for background investigation as to the applicant's physical presence, or it involves full blown RQ, or both, can cause quite lengthy delays. There is no indication this is happening, or will happen to the OP (@lightspeed97). But the OP will mostly need to wait to see where things go next. Not likely that a ATIP request will provide any advance notice of what will happen next.

Forecasting how these things will go is very difficult, near impossible, and is largely speculation. But in the absence of any indication there is an issue looming, best guess is that things are on track, OK, and even if IRCC is taking a closer look, things should work out and proceed within the range of what is seen generally . . . meaning the oath could be scheduled any day or it may be weeks or even a few months.

Outside Canada Off-Topic Tangent:

Without digging into the OP's other posts there appears to be NO hint that the processing of applicants known or perceived to be relocated outside Canada is relevant here. So the subsequent outside-Canada discussion may be, in the context of this thread, a red herring, a totally off-topic tangent.

But to the extent some of the commentary here suggests there is no correlation of risks associated with IRCC perceiving applicants to have relocated outside Canada after applying, that suggestion is NOT accurate, not close.

There is merit to the statement as other applicants outside Canada have mentioned the same interview request.
I believe this is a general “feeling” of the applicants and this feeling has now attained a mythological status.
There is NO hint that recognizing there is IN FACT a correlation between being outside Canada for an extended time, after applying, and an increased RISK of delays, including non-routine processing causing delays (request for proof of return to Canada for just one example, which obviously is NOT a delay for non-routine processing applicants IN Canada encounter) has "now attained a mythological status." On the contrary, most references to this are balanced, duly noting the variability, and meanwhile there continues to be a large number of posts minimizing the correlation, and many outright challenging whether there even is a correlation (despite the extent to which it has been clearly documented). It warrants noting that many (perhaps most) of such challenges appear rooted in a belief that IRCC should not consider or be influenced by an applicant's location outside Canada after applying, disregarding it is patently clear that in SOME cases IRCC does.

Best to set aside beliefs. Leave religion and superstition and "feeling" out of it. For the purpose of helping applicants make decisions, what is useful is information, figuring out as best we can how things actually work; at least to the extent we know and can learn what is relevant to the decision-making that will aide applicants navigating the system, both before and after applying.

To be clear, there has been plenty of reliable anecdotal reporting from applicants who have encountered delays related to being outside Canada which is disproportionate to comparable applications for those who continue to live and work in Canada after applying.

That is, the correlation between being outside Canada and SOME (a significant number but how many among those outside Canada is unknown) applicants encountering delays is well established.

Moreover, historically relocating outside Canada after applying has been explicitly targeted. For a time, in fact, just living outside Canada after applying provided sufficient grounds to deny an application even though the applicant otherwise fully met the requirements. While this was (appropriately) deemed excessive, draconian, so for good reasons repealed, many of the underlying reasons for that approach almost certainly continue to have some influence in IRCC decision-making.

Let's be honest: anyone claiming IRCC processing agents and citizenship officers are NOT prone to have questions, if not increased concerns about applicants who have relocated abroad after applying, is either lying or delusional.

The known information makes it clear that:
-- MANY applicants outside Canada are NOT negatively impacted but, rather, are routinely processed and scheduled for the oath comparable to routinely processed applications made around the same time and processed in the same local office, but
-- MANY applicants outside Canada encounter delays in processing disproportionately compared to others, and that this is BOTH:
-- -- in terms of numbers affected, and
-- -- in the extent of the delays encountered

Figuring out who, when, and to some extent why the disparity, is tangled in some mystery. Applying this information to a particular applicant who is outside Canada is largely speculative, at least unless and until there is some action by IRCC manifesting otherwise, such as the applicant getting notice they will need to provide proof of return to Canada, or the applicant is subject to RQ-related non-routine processing requests.

But some general correlations are easily figured out. For the applicant who, in terms of meeting the physical presence requirement, is cutting-it-close, the safe bet is that this in conjunction with relocating outside Canada after applying at least increases the risk of non-routine processing. It does NOT necessarily mean non-routine processing, but for any applicant whose application already has an increased risk of non-routine processing, no advanced degrees in rocket science necessary to map the risk trajectory if the applicant has also relocated and is living abroad after applying.

Last edited:

head2ca

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 4th, 2016
I gave my test from outside Canada and have been living outside Canada. I had my interview on June 15th. My Language and Prohibitions checks were set to Completed right after the interview. My physical presence check has been in progress until now. I was present in Canada during my eligibility period for 1135 days.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I gave my test from outside Canada and have been living outside Canada. I had my interview on June 15th. My Language and Prohibitions checks were set to Completed right after the interview. My physical presence check has been in progress until now. I was present in Canada during my eligibility period for 1135 days.
If you dont mind sharing, which country are you currently living in? Also did they tell you to give proof of your return to schedule oath?

dejected

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
thank you your detailed reply. I agree with the content of your reply quoted below. If you read my post above, we both are saying the same thing. Yours is quite detailed, mine is not.
The known information makes it clear that:
-- MANY applicants outside Canada are NOT negatively impacted but, rather, are routinely processed and scheduled for the oath comparable to routinely processed applications made around the same time and processed in the same local office, but
-- MANY applicants outside Canada encounter delays in processing disproportionately compared to others, and that this is BOTH:
-- -- in terms of numbers affected, and
-- -- in the extent of the delays encountered

Figuring out who, when, and to some extent why the disparity, is tangled in some mystery. Applying this information to a particular applicant who is outside Canada is largely speculative, at least unless and until there is some action by IRCC manifesting otherwise, such as the applicant getting notice they will need to provide proof of return to Canada, or the applicant is subject to RQ-related non-routine processing requests.

But some general correlations are easily figured out. For the applicant who, in terms of meeting the physical presence requirement, is cutting-it-close, the safe bet is that this in conjunction with relocating outside Canada after applying at least increases the risk of non-routine processing. It does NOT necessarily mean non-routine processing, but for any applicant whose application already has an increased risk of non-routine processing, no advanced degrees in rocket science necessary to map the risk trajectory if the applicant has also relocated and is living abroad after applying.
Though I agree with what you said still I think, after reading many posts in this forum, that the general tendency of applicants is to indiscriminately ascribe any delay, where the applicant took the test from outside Canada, solely to the test being taken from outside.
we cannot predict with confidence, how IRCC will look at a particular application and how it would want to proceed about it as there are many factors involved. Every application is different and assuming or jumping to conclusion that the delay is because an applicant took citizenship from outside Canada is a bit too far fetched in my opinion.

Last edited:

lightspeed97

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
For everyone who’s curious to know how this turned out , physical presence just got completed a month later

my advice to folks give yourself at least 14 days buffer but if you’re absolutely sure of your dates you technically don’t need one

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
thank you your detailed reply. I agree with the content of your reply quoted below. If you read my post above, we both are saying the same thing. Yours is quite detailed, mine is not.

Though I agree with what you said still I think, after reading many posts in this forum, that the general tendency of applicants is to indiscriminately ascribe any delay, where the applicant took the test from outside Canada, solely to the test being taken from outside.
we cannot predict with confidence, how IRCC will look at a particular application and how it would want to proceed about it as there are many factors involved. Every application is different and assuming or jumping to conclusion that the delay is because an applicant took citizenship from outside Canada is a bit too far fetched in my opinion.
There is a big difference between "jumping to conclusions" and surveying the landscape to identify and take into account relevant considerations for decision-making. Take the following query recently posed in another thread:

Can anyone please suggest what reasons you put forward to request an online interview from in-person.
I got an in-person interview scheduled next month. But I am out of Canada since 1 year, except visited for couple of weeks in May this year. I am planning to stay for the rest of the year. I am not sure what reason I can say to request for an online interview.
(there is a link in the quote; otherwise it is here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-interview.750772/page-19#post-10537588

Unless this individual can somehow make it here and attend the in-person interview as scheduled, there is no doubt that being outside Canada is causing a delay . . . at the very least, a delay for however much longer it takes to reschedule the interview. And what would be "far fetched" here is to dismiss or deny there is a very real prospect that asking for the interview to be rescheduled on-line, because they are outside Canada, will very significantly increase the risk of further delay, and potentially an extensive delay.

Yeah, of course, what happens, and why, depends on the particular facts and circumstances in the individual case. There are, nonetheless, clear patterns. Another, and actually more common example: Among those applicants who STAY in Canada, NONE encounter any delay due to a request they provide proof of return to Canada. In stark contrast, a significant number of applicants who have relocated abroad for an extended period of time, especially those who take the knowledge of Canada test while outside Canada, are encountering a delay due to a request they provide proof of return to Canada. No advanced degrees in mathematics necessary to add this up, to positively identify the correlation between this delay and being outside Canada.

Frankly, and this is why I have posted at length about this, the over-generalizations in the forum tend to underestimate the increased risks involved in living outside Canada after applying for citizenship, much of that a willful if not outright deliberate effort to obfuscate, to minimize (and more than a few outright deny) there is more risk for the applicant who has relocated abroad. Not the least of which is getting short notice of a scheduled event IN Canada in circumstances where the applicant cannot return in time.[/S]

head2ca

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 4th, 2016
If you dont mind sharing, which country are you currently living in? Also did they tell you to give proof of your return to schedule oath?
I am living in the US. No, they did not ask for anything. The interviewer said that if anything pops up after running some checks I would know in a week. If there are no requests in a week, they do not need anything.

Reactions: forw.jane

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am living in the US. No, they did not ask for anything. The interviewer said that if anything pops up after running some checks I would know in a week. If there are no requests in a week, they do not need anything.
IRCC is pretty cool with US.