+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

photo requirements

dobby321

May 18, 2009
the requirements indicated to write the name, date of birth and the date the photo was taken at the back of only 1 immigration photo, but my partner wrote on all the photos instead. I was wondering if we should just request new copies of the photos or is it acceptable? please advise. thank u so much

graham

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
I don't think that will affect anything,when my wife and I did her passport pics-we did 3 sets so they can choose another set if 1 set doesen't meet thier requirements-be sure the back grounds are white-good luck

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I disagree with the other responses. The instructions very clearly ask you to write "on the back of one photo (and only one) in each set". Sure, it's possible it won't be a problem. It's also entirely possible that you will get a picky IO who will return your application and ask you to submit another set. They must ask you to only write on the back of ONLY one for a reason. Why risk having your application returned to you?? Just do them over again and get it right.

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
lol I can tell you for our region they dont request any name on the back of any pictures.. so I dont think it matters if they wrote their name on all of them.. I've heard others doing the same.. as long as one has it.. if it so requests in their region...

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
I've heard of pictures getting returned because there was no name written on the back - that was for pictures of dependants. If it's just one applicant, I don't think they would make an issue of something like this. They are not automated machines, they are people. They do not necessarily reject something just because it's a little different in the instructions.
That said, maybe for some reason they need a photo with an empty back, so ... *shrugs* If the application hasn't been sent yet, I would redo the photos. If for no other reason than to save yourself the constant doubt and concern that your application will be sent back. If it's already on its way, sit tight and cross your fingers ;)
Usually, if the photos aren't ok, the application is returned before the sponsorship is granted.

perring

Jan 30, 2009
Sorry, but this might be a little bit off topic. Does the photo has to be "official" immigration photo? I am a photographer and I did my own printing. Would this be okay? And of course, I followed the specification listed on the official guide. Thank you.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
No, if you took your own photos, it should be fine. As long as they are as specified - remember, the background has to be white and absolutely no digital altering is allowed. I had a hard time finding a photographer because of it, everybody out here uses a blue background.
Oh, and check the guide to see if need to include negatives of the photo. Some regions still have to do that.

perring

Jan 30, 2009
mitamata said:
No, if you took your own photos, it should be fine. As long as they are as specified - remember, the background has to be white and absolutely no digital altering is allowed. I had a hard time finding a photographer because of it, everybody out here uses a blue background.
Oh, and check the guide to see if need to include negatives of the photo. Some regions still have to do that.
Thank you Mitamata for the quick reply. Yes, I made sure that I followed the specification. And yes, the background is white with the face meeting the size requirement.

I didn't see anywhere on the Immigration Guide requiring notarized pictures but read something about it here, so I was just wondering. My wife said in Canada, they have to get an official stamp on Passport photos.

FYI. I don't want to confuse anyone, but Immigration Photo and Passport Photo specification are a bit different. Make sure you get it right.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Yes, for passport photos, the rules are quite different. Immigration photos are NOT the same thing, at all. I have a passport photo of my husband in my wallet and it's a completely different photo. lol

No, your photos don't have to be notarized or anything similar. You don't even have to say who took them. Just follow the instructions (write the name/DOB on the back of one photo). What did you read about this here and where?