+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

phone services and cellphones in Canada

queen latifah

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Can someone please tell me if I can bring my phone to Canada..and if newly landed immigrants can get cellphone services right away??? I have a Micromax Bling, dual sim...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I looked for information about your phone and as far as I can see it is GSM dual band 900/1800 MHz but unfortunately if that is the case, it will not work in Canada. The cell phone frequencies in Canada are 850 and 1900 MHz. If you did have a phone that worked on those frequencies, you could pick up a SIM card from Rogers or Fido and start using it. As a newly landed immigrant with no credit yet, you can easily get a pre-paid account but getting a regular account may require giving a credit card number or a security deposit to start.

sunny1975

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Please advise.
Does Nokia music express 5800 will work in Canada?

Below specification i got for Nokia music express 5800 from internet

Frequency Bands

GSM 1800
GSM 1900
GSM 850
GSM 900
WCDMA Band I (2100)
WCDMA Band II (1900)
WCDMA Band V (850)
WCDMA Band VIII (900

Regards

sunny

ZACH

Feb 18, 2010
Middle East
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
June 2009
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Dec 2009
Interview........
Wavied
Passport Req..
07 Jun 2010
VISA ISSUED...
07 July 2010
LANDED..........
LANDED
Dear Leon

I am yet to land in Canada.

Can you please guide me on new mobile connections? If I go for 3-4 connections (for self, wife and kids) in a bundled option, will we be compelled (or offered) to buy the cell phones also? If so, will have choice to go for a choice model/brand by paying extra money? Is there there any so called 'free instrument' offer etc?

Awaiting your response please

Zach

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunny1975 said:
Please advise.
Does Nokia music express 5800 will work in Canada?

Below specification i got for Nokia music express 5800 from internet

Frequency Bands

GSM 1800
GSM 1900
GSM 850
GSM 900
WCDMA Band I (2100)
WCDMA Band II (1900)
WCDMA Band V (850)
WCDMA Band VIII (900

Regards

sunny
Hi sunny, looking at your specs, it definitely looks like your phone will work with a Rogers or Fido sim card and with the CDMA bands, it may actually work with all the other phone companies as well. The CDMA providers in Canada do not use sim cards, instead they program your number into the phone. My experience with them has however been that they do not care for people to bring their own phone, they want you to buy one from them but the sim card from Rogers or Fido will definitely work for you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZACH said:
Dear Leon

I am yet to land in Canada.

Can you please guide me on new mobile connections? If I go for 3-4 connections (for self, wife and kids) in a bundled option, will we be compelled (or offered) to buy the cell phones also? If so, will have choice to go for a choice model/brand by paying extra money? Is there there any so called 'free instrument' offer etc?

Awaiting your response please

Zach
There are many phone companies and they have all kinds of plans and options. You would want to research how you will be using your phones to pick the best provider and plan for you. All of them have special offers for you to get free or cheap phones if you make a contract with them.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mpadhya said:
Hi Guys,

Does HTC Diamond work in CANADA ?
Seems to me from the specs I found that it's a triband phone so it does have one of the Canadian frequencies. It may not have as good of a reception as a phone that has both of them, especially out of town but it should work just fine.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
I used Rogers back in 2005.
much have changed since then I guess.

sunny1975

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks Leon for sharing information.
regards

Sunny

Leon said:
Hi sunny, looking at your specs, it definitely looks like your phone will work with a Rogers or Fido sim card and with the CDMA bands, it may actually work with all the other phone companies as well. The CDMA providers in Canada do not use sim cards, instead they program your number into the phone. My experience with them has however been that they do not care for people to bring their own phone, they want you to buy one from them but the sim card from Rogers or Fido will definitely work for you.

ZACH

Feb 18, 2010
Middle East
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
June 2009
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Dec 2009
Interview........
Wavied
Passport Req..
07 Jun 2010
VISA ISSUED...
07 July 2010
LANDED..........
LANDED
Dear Leaon,

Thanks for that information. Are incoming calls free in Canada???

Zach

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Incoming calls are generally not free in Canada. You can get a plan with free incoming calls but then you pay a monthly fee to cover that. The person who phones your cell phone only pays for a local call. It is the owner of the cell phone who pays for the convenience of being reachable when he is out and about.

You can get all kinds of plans. You can get pre-paid where you have to add credits every month or two and you pay a fixed price per minute, you can get a plan with so-so many minutes per month included, a plan that lets you call for cheaper or free during a certain time of day or on weekends, free incoming etc.

D

drgladiator

which phone connection is better in Brampton/Toronto if u wanna call India daily approx. 30 minutes...?
is landline phone connection also OK for applying for a job in Brampton?
what thing are required for landline?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drgladiator said:
which phone connection is better in Brampton/Toronto if u wanna call India daily approx. 30 minutes...?
is landline phone connection also OK for applying for a job in Brampton?
what thing are required for landline?
Use Vonage, google it