+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP vs SP Extension Application

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
My study permit expires on April 30, 2023. I'm hoping that my program will complete by Fab/March 2023 upon acceptance of my thesis.

I'm aware that for being able to continue being eligible to work after school, I must be on a valid study permit at the time of my PGWP application. I'd like to be able to apply for PGWP while being on a valid study permit. I'm paranoid about possible further delays in getting the final completion letter from my university to apply for a PGWP before my SP expires. I'd like to not apply for a PGWP during a "maintained" status, as it would prevent me from working full-time right upon my PGWP application submission.

If I decide to submit an SP extension application now, would it be against any IRCC regulations if I wait until I receive my SP extension approval (beyond the expiry of my existing SP while holding 'maintained' status) and then apply for a PGWP? Are there any important deadlines that I must be aware of?

I'm also concerned about the possibility of an SP extension approval. As technically, this is my final semester, and as per the curriculum of my studies, only thesis approval is pending. Will this affect my chances of getting SP extension approval?

Any feedback on my situation would appreciate, especially from seniors on the forum or someone who has been in similar situation.

Thank you,
Sam

Jonismash

Jun 20, 2019
My study permit expires on April 30, 2023. I'm hoping that my program will complete by Fab/March 2023 upon acceptance of my thesis.

I'm aware that for being able to continue being eligible to work after school, I must be on a valid study permit at the time of my PGWP application. I'd like to be able to apply for PGWP while being on a valid study permit. I'm paranoid about possible further delays in getting the final completion letter from my university to apply for a PGWP before my SP expires. I'd like to not apply for a PGWP during a "maintained" status, as it would prevent me from working full-time right upon my PGWP application submission.

If I decide to submit an SP extension application now, would it be against any IRCC regulations if I wait until I receive my SP extension approval (beyond the expiry of my existing SP while holding 'maintained' status) and then apply for a PGWP? Are there any important deadlines that I must be aware of?

I'm also concerned about the possibility of an SP extension approval. As technically, this is my final semester, and as per the curriculum of my studies, only thesis approval is pending. Will this affect my chances of getting SP extension approval?

Any feedback on my situation would appreciate, especially from seniors on the forum or someone who has been in similar situation.

Thank you,
Sam
Hello,
I’m on the same boat.
Have you received the SP extension yet?