Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
[In Process: 03-07-2015 ; Decision Made: 14-07-2015 ; CoPR received 20-07-2015]
LANDED..........
28-07-2015! :) Lewiston, NY
Hello, I'm a little puzzled as to how to go about this. Originally I was enrolled in a 3-year course. I completed one year and then switched courses. I was advised by the international student office that I did not need to adjust my study permit for the new (1 yr) post-graduate program I changed into. I graduated from the 1-yr program and requested a PGWP for 1 yr.

Now confusingly today I found the PGWP expires 3 years from now. I will also mention that I am married to a Canadian and still working on the PR application (and making sure I have enough money to apply for it).

I would like some advice as to how to proceed as I want to make sure I am not trying to dupe the system, because really I'm not. I don't need any longer than a year on my PGWP. Should I have it adjusted somehow?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Wanna exchange permits?? LOL!! I hope they make that mistake with my passport too because I need a longer permit big time and I was enrolled in a 2 year program but graduated in an Year. Anyhow, if you are really sure that you don't need it, then you might wanna consult a lawyer about it. The big question is that what documents did you use to get the permit. If you sent in a letter from the university, what did the letter read and if not, did you send in a certificate of completion or your transcripts? Because sometimes there is misrepresentation of facts, not necessarily a deliberate one but it's still a concern. I would suggest you call the CIC straight away. I am pretty much sure they won't change it now. It's all good to go in my view.

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Yeah, all the documents I sent in said a year program pretty clearly, and that's what I requested as well.

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
I guess I just want to ensure that I don't get in trouble for working on an extended permit (even though I applied correctly) when it isn't legally available for me for more than a year.

not sure

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontariobat said:
Hello, I'm a little puzzled as to how to go about this. Originally I was enrolled in a 3-year course. I completed one year and then switched courses. I was advised by the international student office that I did not need to adjust my study permit for the new (1 yr) post-graduate program I changed into. I graduated from the 1-yr program and requested a PGWP for 1 yr.

Now confusingly today I found the PGWP expires 3 years from now. I will also mention that I am married to a Canadian and still working on the PR application (and making sure I have enough money to apply for it).

I would like some advice as to how to proceed as I want to make sure I am not trying to dupe the system, because really I'm not. I don't need any longer than a year on my PGWP. Should I have it adjusted somehow?

dont worry about it

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Oh no I think it is legally available. One of my contacts actually requested a bit longer permit because he needed a couple of extra months so that he can wait for his provincial nomination or something like that and he actually got 4 months extra. There is a girl my lawyer knows who applied for three months extension, which they say is not possible and is never given, but, she got an extension for three months because she was close to getting nomination from Saskatchewan Immigration. I am sure you'll be alright. In fact I am hoping they make this mistake in my case too! lol

sb477sb477

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2012
Nomination.....
10-11-2011
AOR Received.
10-02-2012
IELTS Request
None
File Transfer...
10-02-2012 (to CPP-O)
Med's Request
10-02-2012
Med's Done....
14-02-2012 (ECAS updated to Med received on 05-03-2012)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
12-12-2012
Yep, this happened to me too. I completed a one-year MA and was issues a three-year PGWP. Perhaps they just really liked you...?

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Congrats I guess?

It just seems odd when there are so many hoops to jump through. I already graduated from a 4-year university degree several years ago in Canada but that was just prior to the new PGWP decision in 2008 (which may have opened other doors for me AND possibly saved me $20,000+ in tuition).

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Ontariobat said:
Congrats I guess?

It just seems odd when there are so many hoops to jump through. I already graduated from a 4-year university degree several years ago in Canada but that was just prior to the new PGWP decision in 2008 (which may have opened other doors for me AND possibly saved me $20,000+ in tuition).
You mean you spent just $20,000 for a 4 year degree. If I had the chance to get my degree in that much i won't give a sh*t about the PR. ;).LOL!! Just out of curiosity, did you get the PR and if yes, how?

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
The $20,000 was in reference to the one year (technically two years) for my post graduate diploma. My undergrad 4 years cost well over $80,000.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly about the PR stuff. I haven't had the funds to apply for PR yet. I'm married and living in Ontario... and would like to live here permanently with my wife. Anyway, if I had had the option of a PGWP after my 4 year degree I likely wouldn't have needed any more schooling...

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Ontariobat said:

If your credit hours were more than 40 than probably thats the reason why you got issued a 3 years pgwp...if not then you are just having a blast of good luck.. 8) ;)

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Ontariobat said:
The $20,000 was in reference to the one year (technically two years) for my post graduate diploma. My undergrad 4 years cost well over $80,000.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly about the PR stuff. I haven't had the funds to apply for PR yet. I'm married and living in Ontario... and would like to live here permanently with my wife. Anyway, if I had had the option of a PGWP after my 4 year degree I likely wouldn't have needed any more schooling...
The purpose was to express that how tough it is to got the permanent residence and if I could somehow get my degree without spending that much money, I would go work somewhere where it is easier to settle down and get started with my life and not worry about the PR at all. The underlying feeling was that if I could complete my degree by paying as much as Non-Canadians have to pay, I won't really care about the PR. Hope I didn't offend you in any way. This was all I meant.

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
karankullar said:
The purpose was to express that how tough it is to got the permanent residence and if I could somehow get my degree without spending that much money, I would go work somewhere where it is easier to settle down and get started with my life and not worry about the PR at all. The underlying feeling was that if I could complete my degree by paying as much as Non-Canadians have to pay, I won't really care about the PR. Hope I didn't offend you in any way. This was all I meant.
Oh no offense at all. I'm still not sure I understand your circumstances. I paid about $24,000 and graduated for a diploma that cost Canadians less than $3000. I've randomly ended up lucky with the 3 yr PGWP now. When I graduated previously, that option wasn't available to me. If it was available to me I would likely not have needed to go back to school (and thus saved a decent amount of money).

In response to the credits, I had 40 credits previously but only graduated recently with 12 credits (1 yr) that could count towards the PGWP.

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Ontariobat said:
Oh no offense at all. I'm still not sure I understand your circumstances. I paid about $24,000 and graduated for a diploma that cost Canadians less than $3000. I've randomly ended up lucky with the 3 yr PGWP now. When I graduated previously, that option wasn't available to me. If it was available to me I would likely not have needed to go back to school (and thus saved a decent amount of money).

In response to the credits, I had 40 credits previously but only graduated recently with 12 credits (1 yr) that could count towards the PGWP.
I came to Canada to get my Business administration degree and go back home but I never knew that it is impossible to earn the fees by just working in the summer and part-time while studying. So, now I am not even interested in living in Canada but do not afford to go back because that is just not feasible considering I have already completed the first year of the degree and left with 2 more years. But I need to get my PR because I want to shift to engineering now as I have lost interest in business. That is why I said that if somehow I could afford to get done with 4 years of BE study, I would just do it and then leave. I hope I explained better this time..lol! :)

And regarding your work permit, I think it makes sense that they gave you 3 years. I think they took in account you entire time time of studying which is a ethical thing to do on CIC's part.