+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP + positive LMIA, claim 50 points

jlusi

Oct 13, 2021
I am reading mixed responses all over and I am hoping that I can get some consistent responses on this so that other people in my situation can find it useful.

1. I am currently on a PGWP (still valid for 1 more year).
  2. I have 1 year CEC eligible work experience from previous employer.
  3. I have positive LMIA from current employer (worked here for 5 months so far).
  4. LMIA is valid for another year and half, so I will use it to apply for a closed work permit when my PGWP expires.
When updating my Express Entry profile, do I answer yes or no to this question: Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?

I think that the answer is NO, but I need to know if this will impact whether or not I can claim 50 points.

The IRCC text is a bit generalised and can be easily misinterpreted in this context, that's why I'm double-checking. If I need to switch work permits to claim points, I will apply for a closed one in a couple of months, I see no reason to cut my PGWP duration just yet.

I appreciate your feedback.

jlusi

Oct 13, 2021
I had the same, don't worry put NO, you still will get +50
Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate your prompt feedback. I update my EE profile, to claim the 50 points. Have a great day.

Keywords for other inquirers:
#PGWP #LMIA #ClaimPoints #50points #ValidPGWP #OpenWorkPermit

vital350

Star Member
Dec 8, 2023
Oh, ya, you are right - you or should work already for a year on your employer who gave lmia or have requirement in contract that you will after receiving. I am with same employer for more than 3 years so I passed by first.

jlusi

Oct 13, 2021
Oh, ya, you are right - you or should work already for a year on your employer who gave lmia or have requirement in contract that you will after receiving. I am with same employer for more than 3 years so I passed by first.
Just checked, I actually received the 50 points anyway, I edited my previous comment. Thank you again.

For other inquirers, you will receive the 50 points provided that you have met the 1560 hours CEC requirement, even if it's not with current (LMIA) employer.

Reactions: vital350

echoosss

May 13, 2024
Just checked, I actually received the 50 points anyway, I edited my previous comment. Thank you again.

For other inquirers, you will receive the 50 points provided that you have met the 1560 hours CEC requirement, even if it's not with current (LMIA) employer.
Hi, can I know if that means +50 once I have positive lmia issued and go update the ee profile or I have to wait the closed work visa approved? Thank you.

vital350

Star Member
Dec 8, 2023
You just need LMIA number, that is all. I even didn't apply on closed visa at all (Had PGWP until Oct 2024, got CEC PR with claiming +50 because of LMIA, got PR in April 2024)

vital350

Star Member
Dec 8, 2023
very long time; was around the same like PR processing around 4 month; The funniest that looks like it just was in query and all their processing was in one day (like they contacted employer and issued number at the same day)

echoosss

May 13, 2024
very long time; was around the same like PR processing around 4 month; The funniest that looks like it just was in query and all their processing was in one day (like they contacted employer and issued number at the same day)
Hi, just another question if you can help, if I go find a job come with positive lmia already, it means that i dont have to wait for like 4 month period and then i can apply the visa through flagpole right? Thank you!

vital350

Star Member
Dec 8, 2023
Buddy, i don't want to disappoint you, however it works not like that... All LMIAs are prepared on a specific employee. So in any case they need to prepare a specific LMIA on you, and in any case you will need to wait when they will make it. Furthermore, where are requirements to work on this employer for a specific amount of time, in my case I already worked on my employer for 3 years, but in your case there also can be more requirements.

vital350

Star Member
Dec 8, 2023
Also, if employer just got positive LMIA on one employee it not 100% can get LMIA on another. Could be cases when some employees got positive and some negative in the same request.