+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Not Granted 3 Years Due to Public Policy

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can provide any insight or was in a similar position as me:

I received a PGWP upon graduating from university, but it was issued until the date of my passport's expiration date (I should have 3 years). I renewed my passport in February 2023 and then opted-in to have my PGWP extended under the new public policy: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/03/canada-announces-extension-of-post-graduation-work-permits-for-up-to-18-months-to-retain-high-skilled-talent.html. However, it was only extended until October 2024l, and I still have 6 months remaining to get the full 3 years. Would I have any issues applying to get the PGWP extended or did this opt-in measure count as an extension? When I opted-in, I was under the impression that I would be granted an extension from the date of expiry rather than the date I opted-in.

Thank you for any advice!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can provide any insight or was in a similar position as me:

I received a PGWP upon graduating from university, but it was issued until the date of my passport's expiration date (I should have 3 years). I renewed my passport in February 2023 and then opted-in to have my PGWP extended under the new public policy: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/03/canada-announces-extension-of-post-graduation-work-permits-for-up-to-18-months-to-retain-high-skilled-talent.html. However, it was only extended until October 2024l, and I still have 6 months remaining to get the full 3 years. Would I have any issues applying to get the PGWP extended or did this opt-in measure count as an extension? When I opted-in, I was under the impression that I would be granted an extension from the date of expiry rather than the date I opted-in.

Thank you for any advice!
Correct, you opted in to have extension under public policy, this count as extension imo