+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Letter of explanation query!

rtdjin3000

Sep 2, 2019
Hi Folks,
I am graduating this August from my Masters program from UNB, Fredericton. I am applying for my PGWP. My program is a 12months program with 2 semesters (fall+winter) of study and a summer term as project/internship. Internships are not an integral part of the program though. The dean told that I don’t need a coop work permit to work full time during summer. I did the internship in Toronto and submitted the project. I have graduated now.

I was going through some post here and got the idea that It is fine and will not affect my PGWP application.

My query is, although CIC treats summer as a default break, do I need to mention this unique situation in my Letter of Explanation?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Doesnt sound right to me that you didnt need coop permit.
Would you still have graduated without the internship? Does it show up in your transcripts?

rtdjin3000

Sep 2, 2019
Hi, I was a full time student of the university and the final semester was a project/internship term.
I graduated and in the transcript its mentioned as capstone project.
The dean mentioned that, we don't need a separate work permit to work full time during summer. The CIC treats it as a default break.

Ask_Arsh

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2018
LANDED..........
12-06-2018
CIC do treats summer as a default break and you can work full-time. In my opinion, it is good to mention that in your EOI as it's always better to save yourself from the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: rtdjin3000

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi, I was a full time student of the university and the final semester was a project/internship term.
I graduated and in the transcript its mentioned as capstone project.
The dean mentioned that, we don't need a separate work permit to work full time during summer. The CIC treats it as a default break.
But you were studying full time at this final semester because the internship was part of your course, therefore you were never on a break and seems like you would require a coop permit.

But if your dean has previos experience with PGWP and this internship style then I guess thats how it is. They should also be able to guide you if anything extra needs to be mentioned in the application.