+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - INLAND/OUTLAND - OWP

chinesecanadian87

Star Member
Jan 30, 2017
Hi I am new to this forum. The situation is I am Canadian citizen through birth and my common law spouse is from China, we both live in Ontario. We met doing our Masters and we both graduated in 2014 and have been dating since January 2014. She is on a PGWP that expires in February 2018. We just became legally common-law on January 31st 2017.

I want to sponsor her for permanent residency. I am confused, we had been researching for a while and prior to the new rules we were planning on applying outland because it was faster. However with the new rules does it make sense for us to apply inland and get the OWP even though she has a work permit till February 2018?

We have all the required documents, our situation seems pretty straight forward, we own a house together, joint bank account, insurance etc neither of us have been married before, we have no kids, I have met her parents and family in China and she has obviously met my friends/family in Canada. If we do apply outland does that mean we select the Family class sponsorship in the checkbox? I am confused about what outland vs inland is is now.

Also does it matter that she submitted an application through the Provincial Nomination program in 2015 in terms of applying through spousal sponsorship? we haven't heard anything regarding that matter.

any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Aloaleja

May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 10,2017
AOR Received.
January 20, 2017
File Transfer...
January 26, 2017
Med's Request
up-front
Med's Done....
October 18, 2016
I believed you have to live at least one year into common-law to be able to sponsor her, and if she is living in Canada you can apply inland and she won't be able to leave the country until a decision is made. The other option is to get married and you can apply right away.

YVANNA

Mar 13, 2014
PH -- CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2011
Med's Request
15-12-2013
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
11-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
14-10-2014
Hello, hope you can help!

So I have a PR status and I want to sponsor my partner under Family Class Common - Law.
We have been living together since March 2016 (a year now) and we just moved recently and living with my family. We both have our names on the lease and we can provide other evidence of our relationship. I'm currently gathering the forms and documents we need before I submit the application. However, I have few concerns.

He got study permit. He applied for Post Graduate Work Permit when he graduated last year Aug 2016 but somehow we haven't heard anything from immigration yet. Procrastinated, sigh. Basically it's 7 months since and still nothing. I guess he lost hope for that. We dont wanna get married yet and naive and young that we are (both at 23) we were hoping to go through the process of waiting till we are mature enough. His study permit expires this JULY 2017. This is our desperate measure.

Anyways, my questions:
1. Should we send the documents to the center that processes' OUTSIDE or INSIDE Canada?
2. Will we encounter problem with the application considering he has a pending PGWP application?
3. Can he get temporary permit to stay inland?