+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Extension (Paper Application)

Ayo2995

Jan 10, 2023
Any body got response from IRCC for their pgwp extension via paper application?

I applied submitted January 5 2023 but no update yet! The processing time is 60 days

Last edited:

syamili

Star Member
Sep 13, 2021
Can you send your timeline I have sent the paper application 2 days back.
They received it today.
I send the paper application on 12th January,they received after 3 days.I was able to link my application online on 23rd January.No update after that.

Ayo2995

Jan 10, 2023
Please anybody here submitted PGWP application via paper route and was processed within the paper processing time??? I've no seen anybody! Kindly signify if you are in same boat with me please! My application is 56days today and processing time says 58days but no any update yet

gin_ny

Mar 30, 2022
To anyone wondering about the process, I summarized what I did for my PGWP extension from posts on this thread and my timeline as well.

A. I prepared 8 documents following @penacare’s walkthrough of the IRCC guideline:
Your documents may vary depending on your situation, and as stated on your checklist (IMM5583). This also includes recent updates.

1. Request Letter (Very Important): Extension Request Letter needs to be at the top
  2. IMM5583 (required): This is the checklist
  3. IMM5710 (required): Place the barcode on top
  4. Photocopy of first page, last page of my Passport
  5. Photocopy of initial PGWP
  6. Photocopy of Final transcript
  7. Photocopy of letter from institution
  8. Photocopy of Official Receipt (required) - “Work permit (including extension) – per person” for $155 plus “Open work permit holder" for $100

Answers for some important questions on IMM5710:
I am applying for one or more of the following:

An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer

Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,

Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit

Leave all other sections blank.

Under "Employment" section,

Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.

Under "Background Information",

Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".

Add following line in box "*d)".

APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

B. I placed them in Canada Post Express envelope (to be able to track it) and sent to this address:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada

c/o Student work permits/Same employer, Station 202

9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55

Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

C. Timeline

• Mailed documents: November 14, 2022
  • Documents delivered: November 17, 2022
  • Link Application to the IRCC online portal: November 30, 2022 (manual link)
  • Biometrics: done previously
  • Permit Approval: February 24, 2023

D. And, if anyone will be wondering, what happens if the PGWP expires while waiting for your extension, @liji0024 answered it on this thread:

You may still work under implied status while waiting for your extension, says on IRCC website. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Try to connect your application online, if successful you would have the application number to prove your submission. Meanwhile, keep your application fee receipt, courier receipt as an alternate method of proving your submission (so you are under implied status). Hope it helps.

Thank you to all the responders from the thread. I wouldn’t have done it smoothly without your help. And to all who are going to go through this in the future… Good luck!

Last edited:

gin_ny

Mar 30, 2022
Please anybody here submitted PGWP application via paper route and was processed within the paper processing time??? I've no seen anybody! Kindly signify if you are in same boat with me please! My application is 56days today and processing time says 58days but no any update yet
It is helpful to link your application online so you can check your status. For some, it is done automatically, but I did it manually by following instructions on the IRCC portal. It approximately took 3 months before I got my approval letter. See my thread above for my timeline.

Pooja2798

Mar 15, 2023
Hi, I have some clarifications. My TRV is in my old passport. Do I need to photocopy the pages of my old passport too as supporting documents?
I recently travelled to India and after coming back I did not get the entry stamp on my passport. However, the checklist shows to photocopy the stamp of a recent entry made to Canada. Can someone shed light on this?

immigrateINDCA

Feb 22, 2023
Hi, I have some clarifications. My TRV is in my old passport. Do I need to photocopy the pages of my old passport too as supporting documents?
I recently travelled to India and after coming back I did not get the entry stamp on my passport. However, the checklist shows to photocopy the stamp of a recent entry made to Canada. Can someone shed light on this?
No, you only need to photocopy your new passport and stamps if any. if you did not get any stamp while entering Canada it is ok. These days stamps are done on the Customs form itself which you print out at the airport.

achsah346

Star Member
Aug 19, 2018
Hi all i appreciate your help
i recently got my pgwp extension approval ( in Canada approval letter) but next week i have to travel but didnt got the physical work permit yet to my mail as it will take time to arrive to my canadian address .i have a valid trv so can i show my in canada approval letter and trv to re enter ?

immigrateINDCA

Feb 22, 2023
I t
Hi all i appreciate your help
i recently got my pgwp extension approval ( in Canada approval letter) but next week i have to travel but didnt got the physical work permit yet to my mail as it will take time to arrive to my canadian address .i have a valid trv so can i show my in canada approval letter and trv to re enter ?
I think it should be fine but you should call IRCC and confirm before you travel.