+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension for common-law

Dec 22, 2021
Hello everyone,

I would like to know few things please advise me, currently my pgwp expiring in Nov 2024 and my girlfriend pgwp is expiring May 2024. So can she apply to extend her work permit as a common-law and if yes then other documents d o need to show that we are in a common-law relationship.

if no to the above question then what other options does she have in order to get pr. We are thinking moving to the province for Atlantic immigration program, is that be helpful?
because from my research I saw that if employer is designated and ready to provide certificate of endorsement then we can apply for PR after few paycheque.

please advise me if anyone know about this, we are in a stressful situation.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I would like to know few things please advise me, currently my pgwp expiring in Nov 2024 and my girlfriend pgwp is expiring May 2024. So can she apply to extend her work permit as a common-law and if yes then other documents d o need to show that we are in a common-law relationship.

if no to the above question then what other options does she have in order to get pr. We are thinking moving to the province for Atlantic immigration program, is that be helpful?
because from my research I saw that if employer is designated and ready to provide certificate of endorsement then we can apply for PR after few paycheque.

please advise me if anyone know about this, we are in a stressful situation.

Thank you
How long have you been common-law? If so, assume you changed your status through IRCC and notified CRA.

How will moving to the Atlantic provinces help you if you don’t have jobs with a designated employer? Not all employers are designated because to do so they have to prove they cannot hire anyone. It is not so easy and people living, working and going to school in the Atlantic provinces don’t even get PR.

Dec 22, 2021
we are living together for more than 3 years, but we didn’t mention that in IRCC or in CRA, but now due to situation just need to know if she can apply to extend her work permit.

Secondly, If I am applying for a job and if I find any employer who is designated then it should be okay right?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
we are living together for more than 3 years, but we didn’t mention that in IRCC or in CRA, but now due to situation just need to know if she can apply to extend her work permit.

Secondly, If I am applying for a job and if I find any employer who is designated then it should be okay right?
Aside from your work permit issue, you MUST inform the CRA you’re commonlaw and WHEN that commenced . You’ve potentially being receiving benefits you’re not lawfully entitled to

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So if you have been common law for 3 years then that is an issue. Did you enter Canada as single but were common law? She cannot apply to extend until you have informed IRCC and CRA. CRA will need to audit all your past filings. Who entered Canada first?

AIP is not as easy as you think. You have to find a designated employer first. They will have proven they cannot hire a Canadian, PR or person with a work permit.

Last edited:

sancanada2417

Jan 19, 2024
Hi what are you planning to do? Same situation as yours. Didn't mention common law in PGWP.