+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extension After Public Policy

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can provide any insight or was in a similar position as me:

I received a PGWP upon graduating from university, but it was issued until the date of my passport's expiration date (I should have 3 years). I renewed my passport in February 2023 and then opted-in to have my PGWP extended under the new public policy: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/03/canada-announces-extension-of-post-graduation-work-permits-for-up-to-18-months-to-retain-high-skilled-talent.html. However, it was only extended until October 2024l, and I still have 6 months remaining to get the full 3 years. Would I have any issues applying to get the PGWP extended or did this opt-in measure count as an extension? When I opted-in, I was under the impression that I would be granted an extension from the date of expiry rather than the date I opted-in.

Thank you for any advice!

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
The Opt - in option was in May 2023 hence max 18 months will go near Oct 2024. If remaining original six month was expiring in 2023 then probably you could have planned to extend that first and then use the public policy before it’s expiring. I have renewed my passport in Feb 2023 and received remaining 8 months through usual extension. It had only 2.5 months remaining when approved in early Sept 2023. I was in the impression that they will allot me additionally 18 months by default. I have applied for public policy during Nov 2023 (through paper) and awaiting for the approval.
You can talk to IRCC but make your plan to secure yourself as per Oct 2024 deadline ( don’t rely on remaining 6 months).

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
The Opt - in option was in May 2023 hence max 18 months will go near Oct 2024. If remaining original six month was expiring in 2023 then probably you could have planned to extend that first and then use the public policy before it’s expiring. I have renewed my passport in Feb 2023 and received remaining 8 months through usual extension. It had only 2.5 months remaining when approved in early Sept 2023. I was in the impression that they will allot me additionally 18 months by default. I have applied for public policy during Nov 2023 (through paper) and awaiting for the approval.
You can talk to IRCC but make your plan to secure yourself as per Oct 2024 deadline ( don’t rely on remaining 6 months).
Thank you for your answer! I thought they would extend it from the date of expiry, so applying either on paper or via opt-in would have resulted in the same expiry period. Unfortunately, it looks like I might have to miss out on the remaining 6 months then, but I will talk to IRCC first.

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
For anyone wondering, I called the IRCC this morning and was told that the 6 months would basically be forfeited. A little frustrating to say the least, since had I known it would be issued from the date of application, I would have extended my PGWP on paper, but the IRCC only clarified this after I had already opted-in.