+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring, Use Provincial Normiee instead of LMO to extend work permit?

miyako_cat

Mar 19, 2012
Waiting for Permanent Residence Status, but my PG Work Permit is expiring, Can I use Provinvial Normiee Letter instead of LMO to apply for extension of the work permit.

Hi,

I have questions regarding my work permit extension. I've applied for my PR under the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program a year ago in March 2011; however, I am still waiting for the response. But at the same time my Post-Grad Work Permit is expiring in three months on June 17, 2012. I want to extend my work permit in order to remain working in the same company. I've been working in the same company for 2.5 year now. The HR from my company said that they do not normally have to do LMO at the stage I am at. ? This is a very long process and they actually have to advertise my job and it can take months to get approval for a LMO. It could also mean that I could lose my position if my company found a Canadian who could do my job. My company doesn't seem like to go through LMO process and I don't want to lose my job either. Can someone help with my questions and see what I can do.

1. Is it a must to have a LMO to apply for extension of the work visa?
2. The document checklist said I will need the LMO, is that truth for my case?
3. Can I use my expired Provincial Nominee Letter (expired July 2011) to apply for the extension of the work visa instead of LMO?
4. Is it possible to obtain another copy of the Provincial Nominee Letter to apply for work visa? If so, where should I contact to request for one?
5. Have anyone apply for extension of work permit without LMO or Provincial Nominee Letter? Success or not?
6. How long should I expect the work permit be approved?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

miyako_cat said:
Waiting for Permanent Residence Status, but my PG Work Permit is expiring, Can I use Provinvial Normiee Letter instead of LMO to apply for extension of the work permit.

Hi,

I have questions regarding my work permit extension. I've applied for my PR under the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program a year ago in March 2011; however, I am still waiting for the response. But at the same time my Post-Grad Work Permit is expiring in three months on June 17, 2012. I want to extend my work permit in order to remain working in the same company. I've been working in the same company for 2.5 year now. The HR from my company said that they do not normally have to do LMO at the stage I am at. ? This is a very long process and they actually have to advertise my job and it can take months to get approval for a LMO. It could also mean that I could lose my position if my company found a Canadian who could do my job. My company doesn't seem like to go through LMO process and I don't want to lose my job either. Can someone help with my questions and see what I can do.

1. Is it a must to have a LMO to apply for extension of the work visa?
2. The document checklist said I will need the LMO, is that truth for my case?
3. Can I use my expired Provincial Nominee Letter (expired July 2011) to apply for the extension of the work visa instead of LMO?
4. Is it possible to obtain another copy of the Provincial Nominee Letter to apply for work visa? If so, where should I contact to request for one?
5. Have anyone apply for extension of work permit without LMO or Provincial Nominee Letter? Success or not?
6. How long should I expect the work permit be approved?

Thanks.

1. The company is mistaken. They don't have to advertise to apply for a LMO for a person on a PGWP. They may not wish to apply for a LMO, but they don't have to advertise.

"Employers must submit an Application for a Labour Market Opinion to the Service Canada Centre responsible for processing the foreign worker requests in their area. The application will be assessed using existing program criteria. In cases where the employer is making a permanent job offer to employees who have completed the PGWPP for employment in a skilled occupation (within National Occupational Classification 0, A and B codes only), the employer will not be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts. It is recommended that the employer submit the application for an LMO approximately four months before the expiry of the Post-Graduation Work Permit."

2. Yes you need a LMO to apply for a work permit as your PNP application has not been approved.
3. Yes, it is the "truth"
4. You need a copy of the AINP letter and it has to be valid.
5. You contact AINP.
6. ?

miyako_cat

Mar 19, 2012
Thanks PMM for your response.

Just called Immigrate to Alberta Information Serivce and get reassure about using PNP to extend work permit.
They said we can use PNP instead of LMO to apply for the extension of the work permit.
A photocopy of the PNP letter / confirmation would be good enough.

They said even though there is an expiry date on the PNP confirmation letter, the expiry date only apply for the PR application. Expiry date does not affect your application for the work permit.

joycece

Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miyako_cat said:
Thanks PMM for your response.

Just called Immigrate to Alberta Information Serivce and get reassure about using PNP to extend work permit.
They said we can use PNP instead of LMO to apply for the extension of the work permit.
A photocopy of the PNP letter / confirmation would be good enough.

They said even though there is an expiry date on the PNP confirmation letter, the expiry date only apply for the PR application. Expiry date does not affect your application for the work permit.
I am having the same situation like yours now. Did you have the work permit renewed by using the PNP confirmation letter? My employer doesn't want to take his time for applying LMO too.