+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expires in two weeks, no public policy, how to stop working?

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
My brother has a full time job and his PGWP is expiring very soon. We haven’t heard anything from the public policy for the 18 months extension, so his option may be to stop working.

My question is how does he stop working? Can he still be “employed” by the company and just don’t do any work? Or does he have to quit his job? Also, is it worth while to apply for PGWP extension and use the implied status to keep working? I know the public policy hasn’t amounted to any actionable items for expiring PGWP holders. Doing this may harm his future application, but any ideas?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My brother has a full time job and his PGWP is expiring very soon. We haven’t heard anything from the public policy for the 18 months extension, so his option may be to stop working.

My question is how does he stop working? Can he still be “employed” by the company and just don’t do any work? Or does he have to quit his job? Also, is it worth while to apply for PGWP extension and use the implied status to keep working? I know the public policy hasn’t amounted to any actionable items for expiring PGWP holders. Doing this may harm his future application, but any ideas?
To quit his job or to try to wait as employed with no pay leave.... this is up to the arrangement of him and his employer.

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
To quit his job or to try to wait as employed with no pay leave.... this is up to the arrangement of him and his employer.
I think for IRCC's Definition as "stop working" is no pay right? So taking paid leave would be "income" and therefore not in the realm of "not working"?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think for IRCC's Definition as "stop working" is no pay right? So taking paid leave would be "income" and therefore not in the realm of "not working"?
You should check that with HR and with IRCC offical pages or immigration lawyers ... I am just putting out logical suggestion.

May be ignore my reply for now.