+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and TRV renewal with new passport, outside Canada but saying inside

pranavp2810

Apr 8, 2020
Hi,

I am currently outside Canada (India), and my PGWP and TRV expires in mid Dec 2022, based on my original passport expiry.
I am able to renew my PGWP and TRV using my new passport.
I am planning on going back to Canada in mid Oct 2022.

- Can I apply for PGWP and TRV renewal now, saying that I am inside Canada, even though I am outside(India),
as I will likely already be in Canada by the time the processing is complete? Will there be any issues when I travel?

- Alternatively I will have to apply for renewal after I am back in Canada maybe mid Oct 2022, would that be too late?

Thanks.

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
Hi,

I am currently outside Canada (India), and my PGWP and TRV expires in mid Dec 2022, based on my original passport expiry.
I am able to renew my PGWP and TRV using my new passport.
I am planning on going back to Canada in mid Oct 2022.

- Can I apply for PGWP and TRV renewal now, saying that I am inside Canada, even though I am outside(India),
as I will likely already be in Canada by the time the processing is complete? Will there be any issues when I travel?

- Alternatively I will have to apply for renewal after I am back in Canada maybe mid Oct 2022, would that be too late?

Thanks.
PGWPs expiring between October 2, 2022, to December 31, 2022, get renewed automatically, and an updated work permit will be sent to your Canadian mailing address by mid-October. You will need to update your passport details and Canadian mailing address (if it is not your current one). In September, you'll receive an email on how to update the passport details and mailing address (if necessary).

See this link for more details: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/measures-post-graduation-work-permits-temporary-resident-permanent-resident-pathways.html

Once you get the work permit hard copy, you can then apply for a TRV from inside Canada.

pranavp2810

Apr 8, 2020
Thank you for replying santzapaul, I hadn't read the link in the email they sent until after posting here. I hope in the upcoming email and instructions they send in September on updating passport validity, the submission of renewed passport is just a scanned copy and not having to send a physical copy in Canada, as I am currently in India.

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
Thank you for replying santzapaul, I hadn't read the link in the email they sent until after posting here. I hope in the upcoming email and instructions they send in September on updating passport validity, the submission of renewed passport is just a scanned copy and not having to send a physical copy in Canada, as I am currently in India.
The link says you'll have to update the details in your online account and they'll give you instructions on how to do it.