+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and study permit

Sara97

Nov 19, 2019
Hi guys,

So I have a PGWP that expires July 2021 & I wanna apply for PR but I went back to school to study something different (massage therapy) and now I wanna make that my permanent career choice. My program is 3000 hours but at 2200 hours you can officially become a RMT. So my question is since I’ve already reached 2200 hours (licensed) and working but still in school until I reach 3000 hours will my work hours be counted towards my hours for my PR or will I have to officially finish my new program?

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
In my opinion, as long as you are a fulltime student, your work experience won't count. During submitting the profile, you are explicitly asked if you were a fulltime student during the work experience you mention. You would have to answer yes and then that work experience won't count. So, finish up your program ASAP and gain one year experience after that.

Hassan89

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Hi guys,

So I have a PGWP that expires July 2021 & I wanna apply for PR but I went back to school to study something different (massage therapy) and now I wanna make that my permanent career choice. My program is 3000 hours but at 2200 hours you can officially become a RMT. So my question is since I’ve already reached 2200 hours (licensed) and working but still in school until I reach 3000 hours will my work hours be counted towards my hours for my PR or will I have to officially finish my new program?
Hey be cautious with that and ask around before starting to study. What I know that you are not allowed to enroll in a study program while you are on PGWP status. You need a student permit again, especially that this is a full course. You need to have a "student" status and not a "work" status. Ask around first so that it doesn't make any problems in the future when you apply for PR. Good luck.

Reactions: Sara97

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
Hey be cautious with that and ask around before starting to study. What I know that you are not allowed to enroll in a study program while you are on PGWP status. You need a student permit again, especially that this is a full course. You need to have a "student" status and not a "work" status. Ask around first so that it doesn't make any problems in the future when you apply for PR. Good luck.
You can study as long as you have a VALID study permit. Having the PGWP does not render your study permit invalid. I called the IRCC and confirmed it with an agent. You can exercise both permits at the same time.

Last edited:

Sara97

Nov 19, 2019
Hey be cautious with that and ask around before starting to study. What I know that you are not allowed to enroll in a study program while you are on PGWP status. You need a student permit again, especially that this is a full course. You need to have a "student" status and not a "work" status. Ask around first so that it doesn't make any problems in the future when you apply for PR. Good luck.[/
You can study as long as you have a VALID study permit. Having the PGWP does not render you study permit invalid. I called the IRCC and confirmed it with an agent. You can exercise both permits at the same time.
Thank you for clarifying! Because even though I have the study permit my SIN is under my pgwp which I’m thinking is the way it should be