+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and Spouse OpenWorkPermit

insyria

Oct 10, 2018
Hello everyone,
  • My wife got a Student visa for Masters in 2017, I got a OWP.
  • My wife just graduated, and got her Transcript & letter confirming graduation.
  • My open work permit and her Study permit expires July 30, 2019
  • She started working in Canada since 1st April.
  • She will apply for Post Graduate Open Work Permit.

I have couple of question about what to do in order for me & her to get new permits:
  1. Can we apply for PGWP for her, and to extend my OWP at the same time? or she needs to apply first, then i apply after she gets her PGWP?, I assumed yes, because when she started a new application, they asked her :
    1. Do you plan to work on campus? (she answered NO)
    2. Have you recently graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution for which your study program was full-time and a minimum of eight months? (she answered YES)
    3. Do you want to submit an application for a family member? (she answered YES)
    4. What is your family member`s current immigration status in Canada? (she answered Worker)
    5. What does your family member want to do in Canada? (she answered Apply for or extend an open work permit)
    6. Does your family member want to restore their status in Canada? (she answered NO)
  2. On IRCC site I saw that she needs to provide 3 paystubs
Spouses of open work permit holders
If the principal foreign worker is the holder of an open work permit (e.g., post-graduation work permit, working holiday work permit), Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) cannot assess the skill level based only on the open work permit, and the spouse or common-law partner applying for the C41 exemption will need to attach proof that the principal worker is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B.

The spousal applicant should submit all the supporting documents, including
  • a letter from the principal foreign worker’s current employer confirming employment or a copy of their employment offer or contract; and
  • a copy of the principal foreign worker’s last three pay slips.
But when we finished the "Find out if you're eligible to apply" questions, and we looked at the required documents, it didn't ask for the 3 payslips or the letter confirming employment.

1. Shall she apply first, then after she get's her PGOWP (current processing time is 98 days), I apply for extension? This means that I will lose my work permit before she gets a response.
  2. We apply at the same time, but she doesn't have 3 pay slips yet (she should have them by end June), but also they didn't ask for them.
Could you please advice?

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
  • My wife got a Student visa for Masters in 2017, I got a OWP.
  • My wife just graduated, and got her Transcript & letter confirming graduation.
  • My open work permit and her Study permit expires July 30, 2019
  • She started working in Canada since 1st April.
  • She will apply for Post Graduate Open Work Permit.

I have couple of question about what to do in order for me & her to get new permits:
  1. Can we apply for PGWP for her, and to extend my OWP at the same time? or she needs to apply first, then i apply after she gets her PGWP?, I assumed yes, because when she started a new application, they asked her :
    1. Do you plan to work on campus? (she answered NO)
    2. Have you recently graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution for which your study program was full-time and a minimum of eight months? (she answered YES)
    3. Do you want to submit an application for a family member? (she answered YES)
    4. What is your family member`s current immigration status in Canada? (she answered Worker)
    5. What does your family member want to do in Canada? (she answered Apply for or extend an open work permit)
    6. Does your family member want to restore their status in Canada? (she answered NO)
  2. On IRCC site I saw that she needs to provide 3 paystubs

But when we finished the "Find out if you're eligible to apply" questions, and we looked at the required documents, it didn't ask for the 3 payslips or the letter confirming employment.

1. Shall she apply first, then after she get's her PGOWP (current processing time is 98 days), I apply for extension? This means that I will lose my work permit before she gets a response.
  2. We apply at the same time, but she doesn't have 3 pay slips yet (she should have them by end June), but also they didn't ask for them.
Could you please advice?

Thanks a lot in advance
Would consider flagpoling. You will need your wife’s 3 pay stubs no matter what. Going to the border should allow you to get your SOWP before it expires if you have all the proof necessary. Please check with your closest borders because some only process during certain days and hours.

Reactions: insyria

insyria

Oct 10, 2018
Would consider flagpoling. You will need your wife’s 3 pay stubs no matter what. Going to the border should allow you to get your SOWP before it expires if you have all the proof necessary. Please check with your closest borders because some only process during certain days and hours.
Thanks for your reply, So you recommend that we submit her PGWP ... and then wait ... after she gets her 3 pay stubs, and her PGWP, I go and do flagpoling ? based on current processing time, she won't get the PGWP before Sep.
Or you are saying that she would go and do flag-poling now, and then when she get the 3 pay stubs .. i go and do flag-poling as well ?

Side question : our TRVs (sticker on passport) expired, and we are on permits only. Is it ok to do flag-poling while we don't have visas ?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and answers.

Mattbill

Apr 16, 2019
Thanks for your reply, So you recommend that we submit her PGWP ... and then wait ... after she gets her 3 pay stubs, and her PGWP, I go and do flagpoling ? based on current processing time, she won't get the PGWP before Sep.
Or you are saying that she would go and do flag-poling now, and then when she get the 3 pay stubs .. i go and do flag-poling as well ?

Side question : our TRVs (sticker on passport) expired, and we are on permits only. Is it ok to do flag-poling while we don't have visas ?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and answers.
Hi

I am in the same situation , any update ?

insyria

Oct 10, 2018
Hi

I am still waiting.

@canuck78

I searched the forum about flag-poling, and how it works.
My wife is currently out of Canada, she has a scanned copy of her Graduation letter, and grads (transcript). she is coming from EU next monday.
can she do her PGWP at the airport ????
Her TRV expires after 1 week

Thanks a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am still waiting.

@canuck78

My wife is currently out of Canada, she has a scanned copy of her Graduation letter, and grads (transcript). she is coming from EU next monday.

Thanks a lot
Don’t believe she can get PGWP at the airport. TRV is only necessary if she needs to enter the country. You don’t need one while you are in Canada. Is your wife currently working in NOC 0, A or B and have 3 pay stubs? You will need this plus her PGWP to get approved. Would find someone on this forum who has flagpoled recently to get PGWP for more info.

Reactions: insyria

Mattbill

Apr 16, 2019
I am still waiting.

@canuck78

Thanks a lot
Hi

Hi again

Any update regarding flagpoling ??

insyria

Oct 10, 2018
Quickly, (will return tomorrow for more details)
1- Don't open the transcript envelope.
2- Don't waste your time if you are going after 10 AM (even if the site is saying they open till mid-night), you can ask them BEFORE you leave, they are very nice at the border.
3- if your passport is from one of the "banned" counties in US, try to go mid-night ... and prepare to spend 6-7 hours at the US side ... so you would make it to the Canadian side by around 08:00 or 08:30 AM.
4- TRV (visa) is not required as long as you have your student/work permit
5- Letter of refusal from US side is also not a must, you can go to the US, get a stamp on your passport (if you have a visa), and then return to canada, this might save you some time.

CarrGnome

May 27, 2019
Quickly, (will return tomorrow for more details)
2- Don't waste your time if you are going after 10 AM (even if the site is saying they open till mid-night), you can ask them BEFORE you leave, they are very nice at the border.
3- if your passport is from one of the "banned" counties in US, try to go mid-night ... and prepare to spend 6-7 hours at the US side ... so you would make it to the Canadian side by around 08:00 or 08:30 AM.
5- Letter of refusal from US side is also not a must, you can go to the US, get a stamp on your passport (if you have a visa), and then return to canada, this might save you some time.
Hi anything on your situation.
i am in the same boat

insyria

Oct 10, 2018
Hi anything on your situation.
i am in the same boat
I am sorry, but i mentioned everything i knew ... up in my comment ....