+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP: Divorced parents and Step Mom

Sagar125

Apr 20, 2017
Had a question regarding PGP 2022 and was hoping I could get some help. My parents visited Canada together as a couple in 2019 but are now divorced and since then my father has married someone else. I want to apply for their PR under PGP, and I know that 2 separate applications are to be filed and that my step-mom has to be in the income calculations too.

So can I legally sponsor my boilogical mother, my father and step mom who both would come here, and a sibling who is 20 through the PGP as long as I have had the income in the past three years? Would this be an issue?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Had a question regarding PGP 2022 and was hoping I could get some help. My parents visited Canada together as a couple in 2019 but are now divorced and since then my father has married someone else. I want to apply for their PR under PGP, and I know that 2 separate applications are to be filed and that my step-mom has to be in the income calculations too.

So can I legally sponsor my boilogical mother, my father and step mom who both would come here, and a sibling who is 20 through the PGP as long as I have had the income in the past three years? Would this be an issue?
Yes 2 separate application but your sibling can be included in either application if under 22. You can only sponsor your stepmother as a dependent of your father. You should make sure you have significantly more savings since you will be responsible for 3 seniors and 2 separate households. For example if any of them ended up in longterm care during the 20 years you would be responsible for 1-1.5k every month for each of them at today’s rates which will likely increase.

Sagar125

Apr 20, 2017
Yes 2 separate application but your sibling can be included in either application if under 22. You can only sponsor your stepmother as a dependent of your father. You should make sure you have significantly more savings since you will be responsible for 3 seniors and 2 separate households. For example if any of them ended up in longterm care during the 20 years you would be responsible for 1-1.5k every month for each of them at today’s rates which will likely increase.
That makes sense, thank you. Since these are two separate applications, are there chances only might get picked this year and not the other? and is including brother in one over the other make any difference?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
That makes sense, thank you. Since these are two separate applications, are there chances only might get picked this year and not the other? and is including brother in one over the other make any difference?
It sounds like you did not get invited to apply yet. Here's my understanding:
If and when IRCC decides to open PGP 2022, you submit one form "Interest to Sponsor".
Then if IRCC selects you, you get an invitation, at that point you submit two applications one for each couple.
As an extreme example: If your parents and grandparents were all divorced, you still submit one interest to sponsor form, and potentially 4 applications sponsoring 8 people for example. If you meet the requirements, of course.

Sagar125

Apr 20, 2017
If and when IRCC decides to open PGP 2022, you submit one form "Interest to Sponsor".
Then if IRCC selects you, you get an invitation, at that point you submit two applications one for each couple.
As an extreme example: If your parents and grandparents were all divorced, you still submit one interest to sponsor form, and potentially 4 applications sponsoring 8 people for example. If you meet the requirements, of course.
Ah okay. Wasn't aware about this, thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The rules aren’t very clear as to whether you can actually submit multiple applications with one selection. People seem to have gotten away with doing this but most apply thinking one selection means one application.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
The rules aren’t very clear as to whether you can actually submit multiple applications with one selection. People seem to have gotten away with doing this but most apply thinking one selection means one application.
I've found this though, and it seems to indicate that it's okay to submit multiple applications. I know it's not super explicit, but it seems to indicate that it's okay under the same invitation. I mean, if they were talking about different invitations then it would have been somewhat pointless to say all of this. What do you think?

Example 3: Sponsoring your grandparents, your mother and your stepfather
In this situation, you’ll have to submit 2 separate sponsorship applications: 1 per couple.

On your grandparents’ application, you must designate one of them (either your grandmother or your grandfather) as the main applicant, called the principal applicant. The other will be designated as a dependant.

• If you designate your grandmother as the principal applicant, your grandfather will be the dependant.
  • If you designate your grandfather as the principal applicant, your grandmother will be the dependant.
On your mother’s application, your mother must be the principal applicant, because she’s related to you. Her spouse can’t be the principal applicant. He’ll be listed as your mother’s dependant.
source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/who-you-can-sponsor.html#:~:text=Example 3: Sponsoring,your mother’s dependant.

and this:
Can I sponsor more than one person through the Parents and Grandparents Program?

Yes, you may sponsor more than one person if you want to.

If you are invited to apply, you can sponsor your parents and grandparents.

To do so, you will need to submit separate applications for each person (or couple) you sponsor. We will process each application separately.
source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1329&top=14#:~:text=Yes, you may,each application separately.