+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2017. 95,000 sponsors compete for 10,000 spots in lottery to bring parents

guyfromtoronto

Star Member
Apr 6, 2016
More than 95,000 people took part in the first immigration lottery, hoping to win a spot to bring their parents or grandparents to Canada.

With only 10,000 spots available, that put the odds at roughly one-in-10.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada brought in the new lottery process this year to replace the former first come, first served system.

The change aimed to make the system more fair and transparent after complaints the process was skewed by geography and an applicant's ability to pay a lawyer or other representative to get to the head of the queue.

Between Jan. 3 and Feb. 2, sponsors could fill out a web-based form to take part in the lottery, and IRCC says the number who participated reflects the "popularity" of the parent and grandparent program.

"This is the first year this new process will be in place, so we will monitor results to see if adjustments are needed for next year," said spokesperson Carl Beauchamp.

Of those who filled out the online form, IRCC randomly selected 10,000 sponsors and sent an email inviting them to submit an application. The department also contacted those who weren't picked to let them know about the results.

The family reunification program has been plagued with massive backlogs in past, as the number of applicants far exceeded the limited number of spots. The logjam peaked in 2011 with a backlog of 167,007 applications, which had decreased to 40,511 by the end of 2016.

17,000 people expected

Last year, the government doubled the number of sponsorship spots for parents and grandparents to 10,000 from 5,000. Those 10,000 applications are expected to lead to 17,000 sponsored people, because an application can be for more than one person.

Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents can also apply for a super visa, which allows them to extend a visit for up to two years after the initial entry into Canada.

A 10-year multiple-entry visa allows several visits of up to six months at a time.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lottery-parents-grandparents-immigration-1.4086527?cmp=rss

bongcan

Dec 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-11-2010
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
Med's Request
14-12-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2013
Passport Req..
08-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-07-2013
We got lucky and unlucky at same time. One set of our parents didnt make it through but in-laws did.

guyfromtoronto

Star Member
Apr 6, 2016
Wow. 95000 applications are not too much. Where are those guys who told that CIC received millions of applications. I believe out of these 95,000. 50% of them are ineligible due to income criteria. Hence, there is still hope after 90 days, for people who haven't got selected in 2017.

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i received invitation as well. However, i cannot find the confirmation # email which was sent to me when i had filled in the Interest form.

Can someone provide me with the email address from which you recived the confirmation# NOT the invitation email. I have the invitation #, i am looking for the email which was sent after we filled in the interest form.

I want to search my email to find out where is it. I cannot locate it. Or if you can paste the text of the email will be great.

I dont want to lose this opporutnity just because i cannot locat an email. Thank you.

elara98

Apr 27, 2017
I just got selected, but i am not sure the number i wrote down is the confirmation number. Can anyone of you tell me how the confirmation number looks like? I tried the help center phone line but after 1/2 hour waiting they hang up on me. :'(

elara98

Apr 27, 2017
missingmymom said:
I find it is really baffling to see people who got selected not being able to find their confirmation number. The instructions clearly stated that you should keep a copy of the number for your records. How can one be so careless if sponsoring your parent and grandparent was so important to you. I really don't get it.
Could you tell me how it looks like? no need to tell me the number. Mine has seven digits (2 letters, 5 numbers). Is yours like that?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
missingmymom said:
I find it is really baffling to see people who got selected not being able to find their confirmation number. The instructions clearly stated that you should keep a copy of the number for your records. How can one be so careless if sponsoring your parent and grandparent was so important to you. I really don't get it.
humans are imperfect creatures, they make mistakes and not everyone has stellar organization skills, especially in highly stressful situations.

this forum is for constructive advice for a very stressful immigration process. leave your judgments and condescending attitude at home please.

guyfromtoronto

Star Member
Apr 6, 2016
elara98 said:
I just got selected, but i am not sure the number i wrote down is the confirmation number. Can anyone of you tell me how the confirmation number looks like? I tried the help center phone line but after 1/2 hour waiting they hang up on me. :'(
You should have taken a screenshot or a photo from mobile, of the page you got after submission. That would have helped you.

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what you find baffling, keep it to yourself. people come here to help each other out. you don't need to get anything. you should have preserved the energy writing the below comments for helping someone out instead of all this utter useless garbage.

from the frustration reflected in the comment below, looks like you didn't get invited. theres always a next time.

missingmymom said:

kkim604

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Korea
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
elara98 said:
keep trying. only they would know.
there is no way to retrieve that number on your own.
They should be able to pull out the number using your email address.
whether they would give it to you or not, no one knows... because it was kind of your job to keep that number safe

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
what you find baffling, keep it to yourself. people come here to help each other out. you don't need to get anything. you should have preserved the energy writing the below comments for helping someone out instead of all this utter useless garbage.

from the frustration reflected in the comment below, looks like you didn't get invited. theres always a next time.
+1

guyfromtoronto

Star Member
Apr 6, 2016
stone8198 said:

+1

dhillozcanada22

Star Member
Jun 24, 2016
CONFIRMATION NUMBER:

Here is the sample:

Thank you for completing the form to let us know you’re interested in applying to apply to sponsor in the Parents and Grandparents Program. We have received your form. Your confirmation number is 02XQXXX. Please keep a copy of this number.[/b]
Remember, this is NOT an application.
Please do not submit this form more than once. It will not increase your chances of being selected. Duplicate forms will be removed before the random selection process.
The numbers will be chosen at random. We will let you know at the end of the 30 day period using the email address you provided if you have been randomly selected or not. If randomly selected, you will have 90 days from the date the email from the department is sent to complete and submit your application.
Thank you.

This number was not emailed, the confirmation number was generated after you filled in the form online. You were suppose to copy & save it somewhere.

Hope this helps !!

Good Luck