+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

petition to the minister of safety (security screening).

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
i was talking about the inland and outland spousal sponsorship. they both should be given equal priorities...
Nope. Inland means spouses are living together in Canada, or at least can. Clearly the ones who cannot live together in Canada (outland) should have a higher priority. It is nothing but logical.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Hello all,

This sponsorship process is touching a nerve with many of you and rightfully so. I see the point of view of many of you however, I do think there are some fundamental changes that need to be made. I also don't fully agree with the wording of some of the wording in this petition, but I signed it because I want the government to know that there should be changes made and to generally send a message that there many of us that are dissatisfied with this processing procedure.

I realize that each case is individual and processing times reflect that and the reasons for why people need to be united are different but what we all have in common here (the majority of us) is that we want to be reunited with family members and get on with our lives and there is no need to justify the reasons.

The things I have issues with are that why do some people get their files transferred to VO's faster than others (significantly), starting with when they open their files in Mississauga (mine took 5 weeks without word whereas others took 2 or 3 weeks .... why is that??? At this point, the file had not even been opened, so don't tell me that they were scrutinizing something with my background. Yes I know that it depends on Visa Officer workloads, but this should be standardized, if it takes longer than x amount of time, then assign it to another officer just to do basic checks. Politicians please don't give me any BS about the system being fair, because already off the bat it isn't.

They really should implement standardized timeframes where officers are required to look at your file instead of letting it sit there because that person has a heavy caseload. Work redistribution!!! And also this may help the problem with having people's files transferred in a decent timeframe. My app took 7 plus weeks just to get transferred to the VO while others only took 2 weeks. There was not scrutinizing of the applicant's or sponsor's background, eligibility, etc. If they just fix problems like this, I am sure a lot of people will be much more satisfied.

I know that it is hard to change an ancient dinosaur workplace culture which is the government bureaucracy, but just making small changes would go a long way with customer satisfaction!

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Ooooooooooooofff

So, so, so much of that is just fundamentally - wrong. And the parts which are 'calling for', rather than false facts, have ridiculous implications.

'Outland Spousal Sponsorship process takes more than a year, even up to 3 years'
For some people. Others are done in mere months. This is extremely weaselly wording, wrongly implying that all outland applicants wait a minimum of a year.
'As young professionals, most sponsors have little vacation time to be with their spouse'
A very great many sponsors sponsoring their spouses are not young, are not professionals, or do not live in Canada.
'Sponsored persons cannot come to Canada as visitor visas are rejected'
Again, for some national origins, on their average. Lots, and lots, and lots of spouses are visiting, even living and working in Canada while they wait - some of them being from visa-exempt countries, some of them successfully getting visas or permits. The ones who are refused come from countries with high rates of overstay, who can't demonstrate an attachment to that country - so are unlikely to meet visa conditions.
'The separation of newly married couples is impacting their physical and mental health, putting their family and career life in danger'
Really, really not. Many of the couples could live together in another country, whether it's their shared country of origin, or their partner's country while they wait. For those who can't, getting married knowing they were in different countries was a choice. Their choice.

'If the security screening is taking more than 6 months, together with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, issue a dual-intent visitor visa or super visa for spouse.'
.... think about this one for a moment. Seriously. You're calling on the government to let people into the country, if their application is taking a long time because the security services aren't sure it's safe to let them into the country.

This petition is awful - there is an argument to be made for speeding up processing, but that's why the reforms took place 10 months ago, and soon we're going to be able to see how it's going, when the real life processing times can be put against the 1 year target. As things stand, this is the wrong time, and very much the wrong set of arguments.
I agree, I think they should make standardization the priority. I realize this it is important and that they need to take the time to do security checks and to verify the genuineness of relationships, etc. I am not opposed to the 6 months for straightforward cases, but what exactly is a straightforward case??? I think it will result in that ... however, there seems to be too much variability in the way things are done with the process and there should be some standard things done at each VO even as they operate differently ... I think will help to make the process more "fair" and improve client satisfaction.

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
Done

One thing that I would like to discuss through this petition is that each VO should help provide guidelines whereby they have processed applications faster than normal processesing time. I know each case is unique, however, if there is no red flags and all conditions have been fulfilled so why is one takes 12 months or more and one can go through in mere under 6 months.
not everyone is sent for intensive security screening only 20% will

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
Hi there. Their target is applications processed within 6 months for straight forward cases. This means if there are no delays on anything, they should be processed within that time. Sometimes (I've seen it a lot) people don't respond quickly when they are asked for additional documents, or their cases are not that simple. It seems to me like a big number of the applications are processed around the 6 months target. For example, background check and criminality can take longer than usual for a person, so that delays the process. It also depends on the VO, and the number of applications they're getting, and how equipped they are to process them. Maybe some are understaffed, so it takes more time as well.
80% are getting within a timeframe and 20% have no time frame at all. Considering 300,000 immigrants every year it means 60,000 will be in limbo and 15000 spousal applicants will be in limbo for uncertain amount of time.

Ahmelina23

Sep 7, 2016
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
June 1, 2016
File Transfer...
August 2, 2016
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
Dec. 15, 2016 (passed)
Passport Req..
Feb. 5, 2018
LANDED..........
March 6, 2018
This petition is a great start because applicants have the RIGHT to know what's going on! Especially if they're taking way too much time to do a security check for someone who's not involved in criminal at all.
It's great for those who've been stuck in security check for a long time, and there's MANY. There need to be some kind of timeframe for security screening, not necessarily 6 months, but at least some kind of timeframe.
No one argues that for majority applicants it takes about 6-12 months, however there are many more applicants that are stuck.
So hopefully this petition will work!

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
I agree, I think they should make standardization the priority. I realize this it is important and that they need to take the time to do security checks and to verify the genuineness of relationships, etc. I am not opposed to the 6 months for straightforward cases, but what exactly is a straightforward case??? I think it will result in that ... however, there seems to be too much variability in the way things are done with the process and there should be some standard things done at each VO even as they operate differently ... I think will help to make the process more "fair" and improve client satisfaction.
security screening is done by CSIS first and then advice is sent from CSIS to CBSA. What the petition talks about is the time at CBSA. Otherwise CSIS generally takes 1-180 days to do a thorough and complete security screening and also calls for security interviews if required
Auditor general 2-51 to 2-55

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/english/parl_oag_201111_02_e_35934.html

CBSA conversation in the parliament between Darshan and Tina

https://openparliament.ca/committees/public-safety/42-1/69/?page=4

FBI name check (max 180 days)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Name_Check

Last edited:

Mina124

May 22, 2017
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
27 May 2016
Doc's Request.
28 Nov 2016- CSQ
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Done

One thing that I would like to discuss through this petition is that each VO should help provide guidelines whereby they have processed applications faster than normal processesing time. I know each case is unique, however, if there is no red flags and all conditions have been fulfilled so why is one takes 12 months or more and one can go through in mere under 6 months.
Many thanks for your support. The immigration system has a lot of problems. I hope somebody hear us and do something as soon as possible

Mina124

May 22, 2017
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
27 May 2016
Doc's Request.
28 Nov 2016- CSQ
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Hi there. Their target is applications processed within 6 months for straight forward cases. This means if there are no delays on anything, they should be processed within that time. Sometimes (I've seen it a lot) people don't respond quickly when they are asked for additional documents, or their cases are not that simple. It seems to me like a big number of the applications are processed around the 6 months target. For example, background check and criminality can take longer than usual for a person, so that delays the process. It also depends on the VO, and the number of applications they're getting, and how equipped they are to process them. Maybe some are understaffed, so it takes more time as well.
Yes you are right. Some cases may take longer than normal time for any reason. BUT, the visa offices must have a time frame and let us to know how long their process may take. The security check process is timeless. I am waiting for the result of security check around 1 year

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
Ooooooooooooofff

So, so, so much of that is just fundamentally - wrong. And the parts which are 'calling for', rather than false facts, have ridiculous implications.

'Outland Spousal Sponsorship process takes more than a year, even up to 3 years' while stuck in security screening
For some people
. Others are done in mere months. This is extremely weaselly wording, wrongly implying that all outland applicants wait a minimum of a year. 20% wait a timeless time (I have recording from the minister to send you) and those are applicants who are stuck at security this is 60,000 overall and 15000 for spousal sponsorship (open data website)
'As young professionals, most sponsors have little vacation time to be with their spouse'
A very great many sponsors sponsoring their spouses are not young, are not professionals, or do not live in Canada. For eligibility sponsor has to live in Canada specially for PR sponsors. IRCC calls randomly to verify the residency in Canada
'Sponsored persons cannot come to Canada as visitor visas are rejected' Those who are in security screening are those nationalities which need visitor visas too. And this is a clear discrimination and unfairness
Again, for some national origins, on their average. Lots, and lots, and lots of spouses are visiting, even living and working in Canada while they wait - some of them being from visa-exempt countries, some of them successfully getting visas or permits. The ones who are refused come from countries with high rates of overstay, who can't demonstrate an attachment to that country - so are unlikely to meet visa conditions. They are rejected visas because of the fact they have a Canadian spouse (for sample rejection letters check facebook)
'The separation of newly married couples is impacting their physical and mental health, putting their family and career life in danger'
Really, really not. Many of the couples could live together in another country, whether it's their shared country of origin, or their partner's country while they wait. For those who can't, getting married knowing they were in different countries was a choice. Their choice.

'If the security screening is taking more than 6 months, together with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, issue a dual-intent visitor visa or super visa for spouse.'
.... think about this one for a moment. Seriously. You're calling on the government to let people into the country, if their application is taking a long time because the security services aren't sure it's safe to let them into the country. There are inland people under other categories PNP, EE who are in security screening even up to 8 years and who are living and working in Canada. Read FBI name check from google to understand how security screening works

This petition is awful - there is an argument to be made for speeding up processing, but that's why the reforms took place 10 months ago, and soon we're going to be able to see how it's going, when the real life processing times can be put against the 1 year target. As things stand, this is the wrong time, and very much the wrong set of arguments.
currently there are people waiting for 30 months and the IRCC website shows no improvement for 20% of the people and the minister of immigration is not taking any responsibility either that's why he directed us to the Minister of Safety and this petition is addressed at the minister of safety

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
I agree. This petition just reads like a high school students social studies assignment that was rushed and completed the night before it was due

new changes to the sponsorship process was just implemented less than a year ago. give it a chance and see how it does in a few years time then see what can be improved
The petition is read by many people including the lawyers, ministers and MPs before approval and going live and it is unfortunate that you think it is at a high school level student.
The minister of immigration confirmed there is no change and no time for 20% of the applicants (i.e 60,000 or 15000 Canadain spouses) and it is out of control of the minister of immigration and the IRCC website clearly explains this too. While CBSA was busy processing 32,000 irregular immigrants from the US in 2017, it did not do anything for the Canadian citizens themselves who are suffering after they are separated for more than a year and who are giving birth alone, etc.

Last edited:

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
Sharing the joy of a marriage and a joy of a baby is a previledge and a right of a married couple and the government should be more sensitive to the wellness of the entire family rather than breaucracy. Mental health of the Canadian women and men who are seperated or the women that are pregnant should be the primary concern of the government. The Canadian outland spousal sponsorship program still does not happen within any time frame for 20% of the Canadains (i.e. 15,000 people) #BringmySpouseHome

Reactions: naz-y and Mari_8

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
Finally our petition is live on the parliament website and is official. The deadline is in 120 days from today so will be open till end of Jan but please sign as soon as you can and please spread the word the signer can be a Canadian friend or family and does not have to be an applicant/sponsor. Please note this petition is legal and is sponsored by the member of parliament Ms. Jenny Kwan: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1263

Once the petition has been published on the e-petitions website, it is available to be signed by the public. The “signature” consists of providing one’s name and some basic contact information. The Clerk of Petitions has the right to reject any signatures of which the validity is in doubt. Please note the following with regard to signatures:

• Signatures of non-citizens who are not resident in Canada are not counted.
  • There is no minimum age requirement to sign a petition.
  • The information supplied must include the signatory’s:
    • name;
    • unique e-mail address (an e-mail address may only be associated with one signatory);
    • country and, if within Canada, postal code and province or territory; and
    • telephone number.
Thank you for posting it. Together we will make a change.

Reactions: Cutie101

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
i was talking about the inland and outland spousal sponsorship. they both should be given equal priorities...
inlands can have a work permit and work while they wait for PR. Also they are not separated, but outlands are separated and their married life is falling apart.

Last edited:

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
The title of this thread does not associate with the petition the petition is to the minister of safety not IRCC and it relates to CBSA specifically. CSIS is processing the security screenings and people are out 1-180 days. CBSA seems to be very busy with the irregular immigrants. While additional measures/ budgets are added for irregular immigrants it is time to resolve the issue of the Canadians themselves who are married to foreign spouses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mina124