Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
I think people need to realise just how generous Canada is with its parents and grandparents sponsorship programs. Many countries either don't have sponsorship for parents or it's so expensive and lengthy a process that people don't bother. Petitions to demand that Canada ease up? I think not.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I think people need to realise just how generous Canada is with its parents and grandparents sponsorship programs. Many countries either don't have sponsorship for parents or it's so expensive and lengthy a process that people don't bother. Petitions to demand that Canada ease up? I think not.
Talk about a culture of entitlement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Talk about a culture of entitlement.
Not a culture of entitlement. Most countries don't allow any parents to immigrate and benefit from things like healthcare. Every country has it's best interest at heart. If our healthcare system is already under strain why would any country say that all parents and grandparent can enter and increase demand on all our services. The majority of Canadian, many who are immigrants, have worked all their lives and paid Canadian taxes and should be the priority.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Not a culture of entitlement. Most countries don't allow any parents to immigrate and benefit from things like healthcare. Every country has it's best interest at heart. If our healthcare system is already under strain why would any country say that all parents and grandparent can enter and increase demand on all our services. The majority of Canadian, many who are immigrants, have worked all their lives and paid Canadian taxes and should be the priority.
I totally agree.

We can follow other countries who have programs where wealthy retirees can migrate on their own merits. Investor class for eg.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I totally agree.

We can follow other countries who have programs where wealthy retirees can migrate on their own merits. Investor class for eg.
There are existing immigration programs and a supervisa. Investor programs are usually subject to a lot of abuse and most have been shut down so don't think we need another one.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Or Canada could become like countries such as Australia or New Zealand where the rules to sponsor are far more cumbersome than Canada .
It’s estimated that sponsoring ONE parent costs the system approximately $300000. For all those disenchanted about the system , the Liberals increased the level to 20k a year more than likely for partisan purposes. If the conservatives win the next election, they could just as quickly change the rules .
In other words “ It’s the devil you know, or the devil you don’t “
There was never a promise made when immigrating that people would be able to bring their parents. Never.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Or Canada could become like countries such as Australia or New Zealand where the rules to sponsor are far more cumbersome than Canada .
It’s estimated that sponsoring ONE parent costs the system approximately $300000. For all those disenchanted about the system , the Liberals increased the level to 20k a year more than likely for partisan purposes. If the conservatives win the next election, they could just as quickly change the rules .
In other words “ It’s the devil you know, or the devil you don’t “
Australia health system is organized differently from ours. Our health system makes it very hard to ask people to get longterm medical insurance that covers more than emergencies. They also wouldn't get priority over anyone who is entitled to Canadian healthcare. Currently people who pay to receive care in Canada often have treatment on the weekend and are usually kept to minimal numbers.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Australia health system is organized differently from ours. Our health system makes it very hard to ask people to get longterm medical insurance that covers more than emergencies. They also wouldn't get priority over anyone who is entitled to Canadian healthcare. Currently people who pay to receive care in Canada often have treatment on the weekend and are usually kept to minimal numbers.
Actually even with supervisa, the insurance people buy for their parents does not cover everything.

I have seen patients who are diabetic and said that the supervise insurance they bought does not cover visits to the doctor for conditions like diabetes and hypertension. They have to pay out of pocket and they cannot claim it through the insurance plan they bought.

I am not sure about the details of the insurance they bought but that's what I was told.

We charged them $100 per visit which is higher than what provincial health would pay for the same visit.

That tells me that for supervisa the children do have to set aside some budget for outpatient healthcare especially for chronic disease.

Anyone out there with parents on supervisa care to comment on the insurance plans available? Maybe the patient got it wrong?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Actually even with supervisa, the insurance people buy for their parents does not cover everything.

I have seen patients who are diabetic and said that the supervise insurance they bought does not cover visits to the doctor for conditions like diabetes and hypertension. They have to pay out of pocket and they cannot claim it through the insurance plan they bought.

I am not sure about the details of the insurance they bought but that's what I was told.

We charged them $100 per visit which is higher than what provincial health would pay for the same visit.

That tells me that for supervisa the children do have to set aside some budget for outpatient healthcare especially for chronic disease.

Anyone out there with parents on supervisa care to comment on the insurance plans available? Maybe the patient got it wrong?
The patient didn't get it wrong. It's just travel insurance. It covers emergencies, not regular doctor visits or treatments for pre-existing conditions.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
The patient didn't get it wrong. It's just travel insurance. It covers emergencies, not regular doctor visits or treatments for pre-existing conditions.
So it can be extremely costly for say someone who has had a previous AMI and has another while on supervisa in Canada.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
All I’m saying is that if the Conservatives get into power they could in a blink of a eye make immigration WAY more restrictive then what the Liberals have modified and or changed to the system in the last four years .
So people having issues with the system now, don’t be surprised
This could not only mean changes to the P & G, but how long it takes to become a citizen , residency requirements, H & C , Refugee claims etc.
I’m not saying they will , but I’m sure they are keeping a eye on the public’s mood regarding immigration in the country . If they feel it’s become too Liberal in nature , they’ll make it more Conservative
Provincially here in Ontario , I would not be surprised if Ford modifies the requirements needed to be eligible for OHIP

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
All I’m saying is that if the Conservatives get into power they could in a blink of a eye make immigration WAY more restrictive then what the Liberals have modified and or changed to the system in the last four years .
So people having issues with the system now, don’t be surprised
This could not only mean changes to the P & G, but how long it takes to become a citizen , residency requirements, H & C , Refugee claims etc.
I’m not saying they will , but I’m sure they are keeping a eye on the public’s mood regarding immigration in the country . If they feel it’s become too Liberal in nature , they’ll make it more Conservative
Provincially here in Ontario , I would not be surprised if Ford modifies the requirements needed to be eligible for OHIP
Couldn't prevent anyone who has PR from getting OHIP but could certainly change the residency requirements. Think as a country we have to reassess our immigration programs. We live in a much more global world than 30 years ago where people often remained in one job and city for most of their lives. Giving someone the access to subsidized post secondary education and healthcare for life for their family with as little as 3 years in Canada seems pretty crazy. Same as having Canadians return to retire in Canada or only return when they need support. How is that fair? In some provinces you need to have lived there for 10 years to access their publicly funded longterm care facilities. I also question whether we actually have a medical inadmissibility clause after seeing people being approved midway through expensive cancer treatment because their treatment plan called for only 2 years of chemo which was slightly under 100K. Cancer is not a predictable disease so saying treatment would last 2 years and would only involve a certain set of drugs boggles my mind. Have seen tons of examples where dosage are all of a sudden manipulated and nothing is ever questioned. Also admitting autistic children when we have just seen the largest province limit the funding per autistic child for financial reasons makes no sense. Ontario will also be eliminating tons of teachers so not factoring in the cost of special education for medical inadmissibility also makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jddd and nayr69sg