+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Personal Experience: Surrender Certification Mail-in Toronto (19 days)

aniruddhabhatt

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hi - can someone let me know what happens if I don't pay the return courier fee or opt for drop-off service? Can I still go to the BLS and pick up my surrender certificate from there?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi - can someone let me know what happens if I don't pay the return courier fee or opt for drop-off service? Can I still go to the BLS and pick up my surrender certificate from there?
Depends on the location. Ottawa is all ok with pick yourself. But other centers don't allow it. You need great convincing skills to avoid return courier service.

nkg03

Jan 19, 2015
I am planning to mail my documents for myself, wife and child to BLS Brampton. I have the applications filled, DD ready but I am not able to understand if I need to send all applications in one envelope or separate? Do I pay $30+$30 for each application for courier?
Hi Krish, did you end up mailing all documents in one envelope or separate?

ramya.chill

Nov 21, 2019
Depends on the location. Ottawa is all ok with pick yourself. But other centers don't allow it. You need great convincing skills to avoid return courier service.
Hi,

Have you mailed the documents for passport surrender? If so did you Mail for the family in one courier or separate?

mm1901

Oct 7, 2023
Have anyone applied for the surrender certificate recently. I am just looking to get the approximate timeline for it.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
I recently received my surrender certificate and thought I’d share my experience because I could not find a decent post about the process. There is a painfully long OCI thread which is more noise than substance.

Hopefully, this helps folks who are just getting started.

Surrender certificate for Indian Citizenship: You need to surrender your Indian citizenship when you become a Canadian citizen. In the past you could surrender Indian citizenship and apply for OCI together, but that is not the case anymore. You need to obtain the surrender cert first and then apply for OCI.

My experience:
Consulate - Toronto
Mailed application to BLS Brampton

Start here and read all tabs on the site:
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php
  • Prepare and submit the application online - https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
  • Gather all the documents mentioned in the checklist (these are the docs I sent)
    • Bank draft for $129.40(check for latest fee under Fee tab) - BLS International Services Canada Inc.
    • Printed application submitted online
      • make sure to sign and date it
    • Photo
    • Checklist
      • License copy front and back
        • attest
      • Canadian Citizenship Cert copy front and back
        • attest
      • Canadian PP copy first page
        • attest
      • Indian PP photocopy - first and last
        • attest
    • Indian passport original
  • Pay online for pick up and drop off- BLS is only accepting mail from Purolator(AFAIK). They have not published their mailing address on the site. I found the address on Google but didn’t want to risk it, so I paid the extortion money for mail in application. Purolator came and picked up the documents from my place. They brought a Purolator envelope but no label. I had to provide the label. It would be better to call them before pickup if you need a label.
I did not include ANY ORIGINAL documents, except the Indian passport.

Mailed application on 8/8/2022
Processing started on 8/13/2022
The Surrender certificate printed at the consulate on 8/22/2022
Delivered to me on 8/25/2022

You can track the status on the passportindia site (where you filled in the online application) as well as BLS site.

BLS basically receives the application, validates that everything is in order and sends it to the consulate. Consulate approves and prints the Surrender Cert and sends it back to BLS. Once BLS receives the cert, they dispatch it.
Can you please confirm how did the destination name and address look like on the label?
Also, was there any separate instruction etc was given by bls while couriering it through their pickup?

asking this as bls postal link is not working so thinking to send own puralotor and want to make sure sending correctly.
thanks.

PRAKEERTI

Aug 13, 2021
Can you please confirm how did the destination name and address look like on the label?
Also, was there any separate instruction etc was given by bls while couriering it through their pickup?

asking this as bls postal link is not working so thinking to send own puralotor and want to make sure sending correctly.
thanks.
Hi Desmat,
Have you sent the application by mail ? If yes, could you please help me with correct address. I am also planning to send using own puralotor. The link provided on the BLS site does not work. thank you !!