+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residents - 2 yr old son born abroad and new baby on the way

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
My husband and I are permanent residents, currently living abroad, but wanting to return to Canada with a 2 year old son and a new baby on the way.
We know about the 3 month waiting period for obtaining OHIP again and we know that we will have to sponsor our 2 year old son and baby (if born abroad also) and only after will they be eligible for OHIP.

Our main concern now is wether or not we should have our baby in Ontario (where we plan on moving) because of the 3 month waiting period for us and the cost of having a baby in Ontario without being covered. Our due date is for June 15, 2013.

If we plan on going only after the baby is born, we will have to apply for Health Insurance for both our children. Will one of us parents always have to be covered under that health insurance along with our children even after obtaining OHIP?

And does private health insurance cover the routine check-ups for the children?

Hope someone can help out, as we have such little time to make a final decision.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Move to Alberta and your family will get healthcare immediately. The cost of delivery of the baby will be covered.

Lately, I've seen lots of people want to move to Ontario even with the OHIP wait. BTW, why they think moving to Ontario instead of considering moving to provinces such as AB?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/im-canadian-my-pregnant-wife-is-american-do-i-have-to-pay-for-birth-in-ca-t135052.0.html

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
We lived in Ontario before and became Permanent Residents in Ontario. That's where we have our family also (aunts, uncles, etc)...
We don't know much about Alberta and moving there just to have the baby doesn't seem like an option for us because we already have a 2 year old son who isn't Canadian or Permanent Resident.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alberta Healthcare offers healthcare to any dependants of an Alberta resident. If you're moving in from overseas, you are immediately eligible to apply and you can include your wife on the application as long as she is also in Alberta. However, you must remain for a minimum of six months or they may backcharge you. Since your 2 years old son is your dependent, he too will be covered.

I don't know but there are so many similar cases lately :D:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/questions-for-sponsoring-my-pregnant-wife-from-abroad-t133675.0.html;msg2055495#msg2055495

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
All private insurance is different. Some cover rountine costs, some only covers emergencies. It depends on what type you pick.

I would apply for your son's visa early (if you need one). He may be denied because he's an overstay risk (obviously, he is unable to leave on his own will and completely dependant on people who are allowed to live in Canada). In this case, he may need to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.

As long as one parent is in Canada and an eligible resident, healthcare will be allowed for the child once they are eligible residents too. Meaning, once three months has passed each. You can't land and get health insurance in 3 months, then except OHIP to add your son the day he arrives 4 months later. Since he isn't Canadian yet, you will need a copy of his visitor visa, TRP, or passport stamp to prove when he entered Canada.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
amikety said:
- As long as one parent is in Canada and an eligible resident, healthcare will be allowed for the child once they are eligible residents too. Meaning, once three months has passed each.

- You can't land and get health insurance in 3 months, then except OHIP to add your son the day he arrives 4 months later. Since he isn't Canadian yet, you will need a copy of his visitor visa, TRP, or passport stamp to prove when he entered Canada.
As for point one - my husband and I are both eligible residents...we are already permanent residents. And we also know that our son will only be eligible for OHIP after we sponsor him, which will take quite some time. We can't find much info online regarding private health insurance and we were hoping someone in a similar situation or who has gone through something similar would be able to help us out.

Point two - I don't fully understand what you're trying to say. Are we not able to apply for OHIP once again (we already have a Health Card when we lived in Canada) as soon as we land and have only that 3 month waiting period?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
SaraDenise said:
As for point one - my husband and I are both eligible residents...we are already permanent residents. And we also know that our son will only be eligible for OHIP after we sponsor him, which will take quite some time. We can't find much info online regarding private health insurance and we were hoping someone in a similar situation or who has gone through something similar would be able to help us out.

Point two - I don't fully understand what you're trying to say. Are we not able to apply for OHIP once again (we already have a Health Card when we lived in Canada) as soon as we land and have only that 3 month waiting period?
Eligible residents for healthcare has a different meaning. Nothing to do with immigration.

Eligibility

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :
•be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
•be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
•be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
• make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

In the first bullet point, you see it says "among one of the newcomers to Canada groups..." I don't know as much about OHIP as my province's healthcare, but I would be asking OHIP directly if you son could qualify for healthcare while he was being sponsored as a dependant on your account if he has a TRV or TRP.

You can apply right away, but your OHIP account won't be active until the 90 day waiting period is up.

I found my insurance by doing a google search. People here frequently recommend companies such as Manulife, Blue Cross, etc.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
thank you amikety...I think I've researched practically everything. I also read that link yesterday but I guess I didn't quite understand that there could be that possibility of me calling and asking about my sons situation seeing that we will be sponsoring him...

As for the 90 day waiting period, does it count from the day we land in Ontario and have an Ontario residence or does it start on the day we apply? And is it a renewal that we apply for?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
SaraDenise said:
thank you amikety...I think I've researched practically everything. I also read that link yesterday but I guess I didn't quite understand that there could be that possibility of me calling and asking about my sons situation seeing that we will be sponsoring him...

As for the 90 day waiting period, does it count from the day we land in Ontario and have an Ontario residence or does it start on the day we apply? And is it a renewal that we apply for?
It counts from the day you land.

I would definitely call and ask about getting your son coverage. If he isn't eligible with a TRV or TRP, he might become eligible at some point during sponsorship too. It could save you some money, so it's worth looking into.

If you have a Ontario Healthcare already, you would apply to re-instate your coverage. I'm not sure about OHIP, but my province as a section where you live out your old number and address, along with dates you lived outside the province.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
I found this info here: http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001239

"Part B

You must be able to answer "yes" to at least 1 of these statements:
Other Temporary Residents

You have a Temporary Resident Permit with case type 80 (for adoption only), 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 or 95."

Can anybody explain what these case types are? I can only find info on case type 86 which is for refugees.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I had no clue either, but I found this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip01-eng.pdf

Appendix D “Type of case” codes

For early admission or “under application” cases
89 member of family class
88 Convention refugee, member of designated class
87 national interest (entrepreneur, self-employed, urgent labour market need)
86 other
Note: “Under application” means cases approved for processing within Canada.

“Refused” applicant for permanent residence
95 criminal/security/other inadmissibility - member of family class
94 criminal/security/other inadmissibility - national interest (entrepreneur, selfemployed,
urgent labour market need)
93 criminal/security/other inadmissibility – other
92 inadmissibility on health grounds - member of family class
91 inadmissibility on health grounds - national interest (entrepreneur, self-employed,
urgent labour market need)
90 inadmissibility on health grounds – other

Temporary resident cases
96 verification of departure required (see OP 20)
85 medical treatment
84 student
81 worker
80 inadmissible person, N.E.S.

I believe you have to try the TRV first and once it's denied apply for the TRP.

That guide looked very interesting.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
We're from a visa exempt country though...I tried to find info because I couldn't reach the ministry of health yesterday to ask about my son being eligible for OHIP coverage while being sponsored... :/

These case types don't seem like they relate to our situation :(

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Based on what I've read on this forum, here's what I think/have learned.

Your son may be rejected entry into Canada because he's an overstay risk. He's dependant on you (obviously) so he can't leave when his six months passport stamp is over. However, it's very possible the IO will give him a passport stamp and tell you to renew it in six months.

I would ask for the TRP instead. I don't know if they will give it or not. Be prepared to explain why, be nice, polite, and ask. Hopefully you'll have a nice IO that wants to help. Most people understand the wants of a parent to have healthcare for their child. Also make sure the IO knows you plan to remain in Canada past six months with your son.

Purchase some health insurance just in case.