+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident

Peppy

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
hi ,

Im planning to go on a visit to Canada in january 2018 . I am an Indian residing in the UAE for about 20 years and so i will be applying from dubai itself. My fiance is in Canada and he is a PR and we will be getting married in 2 months time. When checked with the agencies here, i may get a visit visa to canada for 6 months only and Im not showing any details of him while applying for the visit. Now what i want to know is, is it possible for me to apply for a PR on spouse visa when im on a visit for 6 months.

Regards,
Swetha

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
hi ,

Im planning to go on a visit to Canada in january 2018 . I am an Indian residing in the UAE for about 20 years and so i will be applying from dubai itself. My fiance is in Canada and he is a PR and we will be getting married in 2 months time. When checked with the agencies here, i may get a visit visa to canada for 6 months only and Im not showing any details of him while applying for the visit. Now what i want to know is, is it possible for me to apply for a PR on spouse visa when im on a visit for 6 months.

Regards,
Swetha
if you fail to disclose him when you visit it can backfire

Peppy

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
if you fail to disclose him when you visit it can backfire
but now when im applying for a visit, we are not married and so we dont have any documents to prove that we are related. Once im thr in Jan as a tourist, then yes,i will have my marriage documents. So what do you suggest ?

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
but now when im applying for a visit, we are not married and so we dont have any documents to prove that we are related. Once im the in Jan as a tourist, then yes,i will have my marriage documents. So what do you suggest ?
yes but if they ask you at the border why you're here and then suddenly you're getting sponsored for marriage by someone IN Canada a couple of months later. If I were an agent for example and decided to take a note when you came in saying you were here on vacation and then suddenly you're on a spousal sponsorship application I will know you lied. Border agents are trained to ask the right questions. Plus you're visiting for 6 months? A 6 month tourist doesn't seem suspicious to you? Why don't you just tell the truth by the way? Better a rejection than a lie no?

Search the forum for "lied about boyfriend/fiance on TRV" for better advice but one thing's in common everywhere "don't lie to cic". Example:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-for-boyfriend.317308/

onkarsharan

Apr 21, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-07-2017
Doc's Request.
30-07-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
22-07-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
01-05.2018
yes but if they ask you at the border why you're here and then suddenly you're getting sponsored for marriage by someone IN Canada a couple of months later. If I were an agent for example and decided to take a note when you came in saying you were here on vacation and then suddenly you're on a spousal sponsorship application I will know you lied. Border agents are trained to ask the right questions. Plus you're visiting for 6 months? A 6 month tourist doesn't seem suspicious to you? Why don't you just tell the truth by the way? Better a rejection than a lie no?

Search the forum for "lied about boyfriend/fiance on TRV" for better advice but one thing's in common everywhere "don't lie to cic". Example:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-for-boyfriend.317308/
I really don’t think she has to declare anything of any sort. The guy is just her fiance. No legal authority in Canada or India recognises “Fiance” or “Bf/Gf” as a formal relationship.
There are plenty of people getting 6 months tourist visa, and it shows no case of suspicion. That is very normal.
I’m sorry but she would have declared all the facts if she were married, not when engaged.

onkarsharan

Apr 21, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-07-2017
Doc's Request.
30-07-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
22-07-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
01-05.2018
hi ,

Regards,
Swetha
I myself had visited my fiance in canada before on a tourist visa for 3 years. Now I have a PR. There is nothing to worry.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I really don’t think she has to declare anything of any sort. The guy is just her fiance. No legal authority in Canada or India recognises “Fiance” or “Bf/Gf” as a formal relationship.
There are plenty of people getting 6 months tourist visa, and it shows no case of suspicion. That is very normal.
I’m sorry but she would have declared all the facts if she were married, not when engaged.
There is nothing to worry about but I read too many horror stories on this forum to suggest honesty is the best policy and yes including this topic. So why not play it safe and tell the truth?? plus she' going to get married not just for tourism which can be troublesome for later on. a marriage doesn't mean an automatic PR she'll have to go back home and get sponsored.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
There is nothing to worry about but I read too many horror stories on this forum to suggest honesty is the best policy and yes including this topic. So why not play it safe and tell the truth?? plus she' going to get married not just for tourism which can be troublesome for later on. a marriage doesn't mean an automatic PR she'll have to go back home and get sponsored.
Hmmm...I'm trying to look at this from all sides and determine why the consultant would tell her not to mention her fiancée - it might be because her visitor's visa application might be rejected if IRCC assesses that she is a potential candidate for overstaying - if she says she has a fiancée living in Canada, that's a pretty strong tie to Canada (versus her home country) and that might lead them to believe she is an 'overstay threat'. I went to Canada on my visitor's visa to sit my CELPIP exam a few months ago, but I didn't disclose the exam to the Immigration Officer when he asked me why I was visiting Canada - I just mentioned all of the other things I would be doing on my visit, because I was technically visiting for other reasons as well. I was (only slightly) worried he might assume I wouldn't leave Canada if he knew I was up there to sit a test geared toward gaining my Permanent Residency (and was therefore interested in permanent residency in Canada), when I knew full well that I planned to leave as soon as my vacation (and exam) were over. Technically, the OP can just say she's visiting a friend, without explaining that her 'friend' is her fiancée (since this isn't a legally recognized status anyway).

But I can also see your side of the argument. Stating you're just there on vacation and then suddenly putting in a spousal sponsorship application a few months later could be seen as suspicious and raise concerns about a 'marriage of convenience'. But as long as the OP and her fiancée can produce adequate evidence of a relationship before this time (e.g. pictures of their family on vacation together at earlier dates, etc.) then hopefully it will be fine.

Peppy

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Hmmm...I'm trying to look at this from all sides and determine why the consultant would tell her not to mention her fiancée - it might be because her visitor's visa application might be rejected if IRCC assesses that she is a potential candidate for overstaying - if she says she has a fiancée living in Canada, that's a pretty strong tie to Canada (versus her home country) and that might lead them to believe she is an 'overstay threat'. I went to Canada on my visitor's visa to sit my CELPIP exam a few months ago, but I didn't disclose the exam to the Immigration Officer when he asked me why I was visiting Canada - I just mentioned all of the other things I would be doing on my visit, because I was technically visiting for other reasons as well. I was (only slightly) worried he might assume I wouldn't leave Canada if he knew I was up there to sit a test geared toward gaining my Permanent Residency (and was therefore interested in permanent residency in Canada), when I knew full well that I planned to leave as soon as my vacation (and exam) were over. Technically, the OP can just say she's visiting a friend, without explaining that her 'friend' is her fiancée (since this isn't a legally recognized status anyway).

But I can also see your side of the argument. Stating you're just there on vacation and then suddenly putting in a spousal sponsorship application a few months later could be seen as suspicious and raise concerns about a 'marriage of convenience'. But as long as the OP and her fiancée can produce adequate evidence of a relationship before this time (e.g. pictures of their family on vacation together at earlier dates, etc.) then hopefully it will be fine.
yes, this is exactly what im scared of. Im doing this because, i want to go with him on the same date after marriage. As of now, he can apply a vist for me only after marriage and so till then, ie, till i get a visa i should stay here itself which i really dont want to due to some personal issues. So is there any other way that i can go along with him ? Or any other way that he can apply a visit for me before marriage ?

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
yes, this is exactly what im scared of. Im doing this because, i want to go with him on the same date after marriage. As of now, he can apply a vist for me only after marriage and so till then, ie, till i get a visa i should stay here itself which i really dont want to due to some personal issues. So is there any other way that i can go along with him ? Or any other way that he can apply a visit for me before marriage ?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure. You might need to visit a forum focused on family or spousal sponsorship to get more answers (this is the Express Entry PR Forum). I do know it's likely to remain a complicated matter. :( This is why people are often warned to think long and hard about the choice of getting married before or after filing their PR application - because if you get married after obtaining PR for yourself (like your fiancée did), you'll have to file for spousal sponsorship which could potentially keep you apart for a long time. I have a friend in Canada who had to be apart from his partner (who was in South Africa) for a very long time before they were finally able to get the spousal sponsorship application approved. :(

Peppy

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm not sure. You might need to visit a forum focused on family or spousal sponsorship to get more answers (this is the Express Entry PR Forum). I do know it's likely to remain a complicated matter. :( This is why people are often warned to think long and hard about the choice of getting married before or after filing their PR application - because if you get married after obtaining PR for yourself (like your fiancée did), you'll have to file for spousal sponsorship which could potentially keep you apart for a long time. I have a friend in Canada who had to be apart from his partner (who was in South Africa) for a very long time before they were finally able to get the spousal sponsorship application approved. :(
oh my goodness !! i will try to find out what else can be done then.. anyway thankyou so much!

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
oh my goodness !! i will try to find out what else can be done then.. anyway thankyou so much!
Try to have a word with an Immigration Lawyer regarding the situation. Its a tricky one hence advising on the same. Good luck.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
how about trying to apply for PR on your own. How likely are you to get it that way? If it works out you can be there in less than 6 months without all the hassle and move directly. like said earlier, sponsorship can take up to a year sometimes much longer and with the route you're considering you'll have to leave canada in all cases one your visa expires even if you're married.

Reactions: crescent_jam