Waiting
NOC Code......
Not yet decided
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
NA
Hi,

Please can some one give some information like Will work permit holder will get benefits like :

• 1.Kids free education?
  • 2.Free Insurance ?
  • 3.Kids monthly dollar amount benefit?
If you have any idea please share here...!

Thx
Maytoss

largepoint

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cutesmile_1728 said:
Any update on this post? Thanks in advance =D
1.Kids free education?
Yes, if they go to any public school.

2.Free Insurance ?
I assume Health. Yes, if you get the provincial health card. You'll need separate insurance to cover purchase of medicines.

3.Kids monthly dollar amount benefit?
Not sure what is meant by this. If its the tax benefit, yes, after 18 months in Canada.

kksai

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
In addition .. if you in Quebec ..

if you on work permit - you are allowed to sent to english medium

Also the Child Day Care - 7 $ per day is eligible for work permit guys too

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maytoss said:
Hi,

Please can some one give some information like Will work permit holder will get benefits like :

• 1.Kids free education?
  • 2.Free Insurance ?
  • 3.Kids monthly dollar amount benefit?
If you have any idea please share here...!

Thx
Maytoss
I've been here on an open work permit as the partner of a grad student for nearly 3 years. I don't have kids, but yes, public education is free through the 12th grade and generally of good quality. I qualified for OHIP, the Ontario health program, which is free in the sense that tax dollars pay for it. My job gives me additional insurance that provides some money (but perhaps not all you need) for dental, eyeglasses, prescriptions, chiropractor, acupuncture, etc. That is also free to me.

The downside is, of course, the need to re-apply for the work permit periodically, and the idea that eventually, if I do not get permanent residence, I will have to pack up the life I've made for myself here and start over again somewhere else. Oh, and there are restrictions to having a work permit - I cannot study, for example, to increase my qualifications, and I am not eligible for many state-sponsored programs in my field that are open to permanent residents and citizens only.

cutesmile_1728

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dobes said:
I've been here on an open work permit as the partner of a grad student for nearly 3 years. I don't have kids, but yes, public education is free through the 12th grade and generally of good quality. I qualified for OHIP, the Ontario health program, which is free in the sense that tax dollars pay for it. My job gives me additional insurance that provides some money (but perhaps not all you need) for dental, eyeglasses, prescriptions, chiropractor, acupuncture, etc. That is also free to me.

The downside is, of course, the need to re-apply for the work permit periodically, and the idea that eventually, if I do not get permanent residence, I will have to pack up the life I've made for myself here and start over again somewhere else. Oh, and there are restrictions to having a work permit - I cannot study, for example, to increase my qualifications, and I am not eligible for many state-sponsored programs in my field that are open to permanent residents and citizens only.
Thanks for all the update.

If you currently in open work permit why not try to apply for PR via Express Entry?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cutesmile_1728 said:

If you currently in open work permit why not try to apply for PR via Express Entry?
I am. I first applied for PR under CEC late in 2014, but was rejected because caps had been met. Entered EE, got an ITA at the end of March, just this morning saw that the decision on my case had been made. Waiting anxiously to hear the result!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
cutesmile_1728 said:

OWP has an fundamental disadvantage of not having LMIA already in hand. Many employers hires OWP people because they don't need to go through LMIA process and fees and hence getting LMIA for the purpose of PR is not an option for them (even there is no fee, there's cost of ad, legal advice, time and risk of rejection). CIC assumes OWP are leeches to local job market and economy by sucking up job opportunity for Canadian Citizen and PR.

Maplemadness82

Dec 2, 2014
dobes said:
I am. I first applied for PR under CEC late in 2014, but was rejected because caps had been met. Entered EE, got an ITA at the end of March, just this morning saw that the decision on my case had been made. Waiting anxiously to hear the result!
How hv u been notified that a decision is made? Did u get any email?
Is the update on ECAS or MYCIC or both ??

I have been IN PROCESS from 14th Aug.. MyCIC shows meds passed. ECAS still shows 2 lines of app received on xx... started processing on xx..
But mine is a slightly different case of deferring Xray for spouse and submitting it at a later date..