+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PERMANENT RESIDENT TRAVEL DOCUMENT - MEXICAN VAC

bt1995

May 8, 2018
SEEKING ANSWERS!

I applied for my (renewed) PR card in early April with urgent processing. Due to an error in the application, I did not receive it in time for my April 28 departure to Mexico. I was told by an IRCC agent to apply for a PRTD once in Mexico through the VAC in Mexico City, as the one in Monterrey (where I am currently staying) had closed. I informed the agent that I would only be in Mexico from April 28 to May 9. I also called the VAC. Both suggested to proceed with this route.

Yesterday, May 7, I received confirmation on the status of my application: processing. As a result, I've cancelled my flight tomorrow. Has anyone has a similar experience that could please tell me their timeline or anything they've done to speed up the process? I've paid for express mailing both ways and have called and called and am getting very frustrated at the vague answer: "up to 2 weeks, maybe more or less"

My main concern is returning to work and notifying them of how much longer I will be absent.

All comments are appreciated!!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but based on other posts here your best bet is to make for a US/ Canada land border given unlikely you will get a PRTD in any guaranteed time.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SEEKING ANSWERS!

I applied for my (renewed) PR card in early April with urgent processing. Due to an error in the application, I did not receive it in time for my April 28 departure to Mexico. I was told by an IRCC agent to apply for a PRTD once in Mexico through the VAC in Mexico City, as the one in Monterrey (where I am currently staying) had closed. I informed the agent that I would only be in Mexico from April 28 to May 9. I also called the VAC. Both suggested to proceed with this route.

Yesterday, May 7, I received confirmation on the status of my application: processing. As a result, I've cancelled my flight tomorrow. Has anyone has a similar experience that could please tell me their timeline or anything they've done to speed up the process? I've paid for express mailing both ways and have called and called and am getting very frustrated at the vague answer: "up to 2 weeks, maybe more or less"

My main concern is returning to work and notifying them of how much longer I will be absent.

All comments are appreciated!!!
Did you send your passport with the application? If so, you are stuck until they get you the passport back.

Else as mentioned, the quickest/surest way to travel back to Canada is to fly to USA and then cross via land border (where no PR TD is needed).

bt1995

May 8, 2018
Did you send your passport with the application? If so, you are stuck until they get you the passport back.

Else as mentioned, the quickest/surest way to travel back to Canada is to fly to USA and then cross via land border (where no PR TD is needed).
Yes, unfortunately I did send in my passport. Does anyone have a timeline of their application process? From time they mailed it in until it arrived? I understand I'm stuck now and have to wait, I'm just looking for an idea of how much longer it will take so I can inform my employer.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes, unfortunately I did send in my passport. Does anyone have a timeline of their application process? From time they mailed it in until it arrived? I understand I'm stuck now and have to wait, I'm just looking for an idea of how much longer it will take so I can inform my employer.
Unfortunately there is no standard at all for processing of PR TDs. Every office seems to have their own processing schedule.

I would just try contacting them daily to check status, and if you haven't already send them your upcoming tickets if you've rebooked. Perhaps some with recent experiences at MExico City VAC can give you more info.