+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident outside Canada applying to renew PR card

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
Hi All

First I want to say how much I appreciate this community. I don't use it often but its nice knowing there is always help here :)

Here is what I need advice on...
My husband has been a Permanent Resident since March of 2013. In August or September 2015 we will move to England to live. (He would have been able to apply for citizenship come July 2015 but they will change to the new residency rules 3 weeks before he can apply. Boo!!!)
Because he will be living with me we will maintain his PR status for as long as we live abroad.
Regarding the application process:

1) Apparently he has to be physically present in Canada to apply, but the form gets mailed. So I guess this means they want to see a Canadian post mark on the envelope?? Is it illegal to just mail the package to my mom in Canada and then have her mail it to CIC for us?
Seems a bit silly to come into Canada just to use a red mail box. Please advice.

2) Once the card has been issued and mailed to a Canadian address, I was told he needs to come back into the country to pick it up. CIC also said that if his old PR card is expired by this point he needs to apply for a "PR abroad" travel document to reenter. But he is from a visa exempt country so why can't he just come back using his UK passport?

3) Why can't we have the card mailed to my moms house and just have her mail it to us?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not necessary for him to renew his PR card. He can use his British passport to return to Canada.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
You can have your mom post the envelope for you.

Your mom can send the new card to you just be sure to send it via a safe method.

Your husband can come without a pr card.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. The current clauses of the IRPA and regs pertaining to PR Card renewal only require that the application originate in Canada. So have a Canadian mailing address but list your overseas residence in the 'time outside Canada' sections of the form. CIC routinely require applicants in this scenario to pick the card up in person. This to verify declared absences. UKBA don't stamp EU nationals entering the UK so this may cause a problem in clarifying absences so keep solid records of your travels. Are you in a FF scheme Aeroplan, Flying Blue etc? They have a record of travels. Check also if UKBA can provide e-gate/iris entry records via the Data Protection Act.

2. Canada has in the works an ESTA type scheme that will mandate PRs to provide their PR status (in effect a PR Card number) prior to departure as part of the Advanced Passneger Info (API) provision when flying. This may or may not be in effect by the time you apply to renew your PR Card. I'd expect the scheme when active to require any PR not holding a PR Card to get a PRTD to facilitate boarding. Currently visitor visa exempt nationals don't need a PRTD to get to Canadian soil - RO loophole to boot!