+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residence - validity and expiration (when to land in Canada)

sarasamaniac

Jan 22, 2015
Suppose I finish the EE process and CIC decides to grant me PR permit. How long is it valid for? When should I land in Canada in order to not lose it?
I am not yet ready to leave my country, and I want to know if I will lose the PR permit if I don't land in Canada soon enough.

For example, if I receive PR approval by December 2015. Can I land in Canada in December 2016? Or after? How long can I wait until I move? Do I have to move immediately?

I don't want to miss this chance of getting the PR through EE but I can't actually move yet, I have to finish some work contracts here, sell assets, etc, etc.

Thanks,

irfan_ul_haque

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
Doc's Request.
03-11-2015
Nomination.....
15-09-2015
AOR Received.
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
14-10-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in June-July 2015
Hi!

I had the same question a few weeks back.
When they issue you that visa (forgot the exact name), its validity is for 6 months or 1 year (1 year being more common). Within that time period you have to travel to Canada and apply for the PR card. The time period mentioned on your visa cannot be extended so one has to travel to Canada within that time.

Hope this helped.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
COPR is valid for one year from the date of your medicals or expiry of your passport. Whichever comes first.

sarasamaniac

Jan 22, 2015
Thanks to both.

If the validity at the time the COPR was issued is too short, is there any way to extend it to be able to land in Canada after that period?

I'd hate going through this process, spend a lot of money on it and then realize I'm out of time to move and I have to do it quickly. I'm not desperate to relocate, in fact, I'd like to look for a job before moving there*, in order to maximize my savings.

* Supposing that I get the Visa only with my score - without job offer.

I guess finding a job would be easier if I tell the employers that I already have the COPR and I'm waiting to land a job to finally move.

Thanks again.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I don't think you have any choice unless you wish to cancel your visa and start from scratch. The primary can land ahead of the others, but their landing must be done within the validity period. Make sure you are aware of passport expiry dates of all members of the application. You can get your PR card and then return home but you must live in Canada for a minimum two years in a rolling five years or you will lose PR.

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
sarasamaniac said:
Thanks to both.

If the validity at the time the COPR was issued is too short, is there any way to extend it to be able to land in Canada after that period?

I'd hate going through this process, spend a lot of money on it and then realize I'm out of time to move and I have to do it quickly. I'm not desperate to relocate, in fact, I'd like to look for a job before moving there*, in order to maximize my savings.

* Supposing that I get the Visa only with my score - without job offer.

I guess finding a job would be easier if I tell the employers that I already have the COPR and I'm waiting to land a job to finally move.

Thanks again.e
I know few ppl extended quoting personal reasons such as kids academic year end, work contract restrictions. But you may need to prove whatever you say.Hope this helps

sarasamaniac

Jan 22, 2015
Landing in Canada and getting the PR Card, then coming back home until I can finally relocate, sounds reasonable enough.

I know about the 2/5 y stay, but I was more worried about the former issue.

Thanks to everyone.