+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PERMANENT RESIDENCE EXPIRED

Jimmy23

Mar 3, 2015
HELLO,
MY HUSBAND IS A PERMANENT RESIDENCE AND HE DOES NOT HAVE 730 DAYS.. HIS PR EXPIRED AUGUST 26/2015. HE IS NOW IN CANADA AND IS GOING TO STAY FOR 2 YEARS TO MEET THE RESIDENCE OBLIGATION. HOWEVER, LAST YEAR A FRIEND TOLD HIM HE SHOULD APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CHECK HIS DAYS. HE DID, HOWEVER, THEY RETURNED IT BECAUSE HE DID NOT PAY THE PROPER FEE AND DID NOT MEET THE LANGUAGE STANDARDS.

I read in the forum that they check 5 years from the moment you apply for a new PR card.. how about that he applied for citizenship? are they going to know that he did not make the residence requirements--although his application was returned ? Please HELPP...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Do not pursue the citizenship application.

Obviously, if a PR has not met the PR Residency Obligation, that PR does not qualify for citizenship.

I do not know what is implied by the advice that in the citizenship application process "they do not check his days" and based on that making a citizenship application. If this was a suggestion to make a misrepresentation of fact (as to time outside Canada) in the citizenship application, and he did . . . well, both individuals committed serious crimes. Whether or not there is a prosecution, well that is up to Canadian authorities.

In the meantime, Permanent Residence does not expire. A PR card expires. Like a passport expires.

A PR must, of course, meet the PR Residency Obligation and a failure to do so makes the PR inadmissible. But this only has an impact if there is a formal process to adjudicate the PR's status. Which is why a PR who has not met the PR Residency Obligation but is currently in Canada would choose to not make any applications to CIC until after having been in Canada long enough to meet the PR RO.

Jimmy23

Mar 3, 2015
No for sure, I withdrew my application and I lost my fee. However, my question is will they know now my exact days? My application was returned and they stated that they did not process it because of my language barrier and the fee? Will they know that it is more than 5 years??