Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2011
Med's Done....
09-14-2010
I've posted a few times and would like some input from people with experience in this matter.

I live in Ontario with a girlfriend in NY state. She cannot come to Canada as a skilled worker. Her only option is to come as a visitor.

She wants to quit her job and give up her apartment. She will live with her mother in the meantime. She would like to come visit in the new year and stay for a month at a time. She will be returning to NY state monthly to visit with her son and family. The time in NY will probably only be a couple days and then return to Ontario. She will also have enough money to cover her visits. Has anyone had experience doing this and what are the chances they will let her in?

We will be marrying in the spring when her divorce is final. Should we wait until we are married and the PR application has been filed?

Thanks in advance

Wally

ImmEnforce

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
So if she is just Visiting? Whats the issue?
US Citizen's are allowed to visit for up to 6 months.

If your true question is can she quit her job, moved out of US residence, cut of the majority of ties with the USA, move her things to Canada, establish herself here in hopes of getting PR status?
NO

The officers at the POE don't take kindly to these types of "Visitors"
She must be able to prove that she is a visitor to Canada at each and every entry into Canada. If she can't she may find herself in trouble.

She will be returning to NY state monthly to visit with her son and family.
Not an encouraging statement.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Her son and family are ties but not sufficient enough. which way she plans to cross the border by land or by air?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
You can not sponsor her as a family member until you two tie the knot through marriage, since you two do not qualify under common law or conjugal partner, and fiancee is not an acceptable classification.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, decisions on what ties are sufficient are made by border officers, not by us here on the forum. :) So I would caution against blanket statements like that.

Suin said:
Her son and family are ties but not sufficient enough. which way she plans to cross the border by land or by air?

wally1961

Nov 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2011
Med's Done....
09-14-2010
She will be crossing by land.

Ok, so it doesn't sound like it might not be a good idea to come for visits. What if she keeps a part-time job? Can she come for a month or two to visit and say we are exploring our relationship?

Now, once we are married, does it make it easier to cross the border, or will she have the same issues?

Thanks for all your advice

Wally

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Karlshammar said:
Well, decisions on what ties are sufficient are made by border officers, not by us here on the forum. :) So I would caution against blanket statements like that.

Suin said:
it's not a statement, but just a supposition. we had good ties like kids and family in our country and still were denied because of lack of ties. so I say from personal experience.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
wally1961 said:
She will be crossing by land.

Ok, so it doesn't sound like it might not be a good idea to come for visits. What if she keeps a part-time job? Can she come for a month or two to visit and say we are exploring our relationship?

Now, once we are married, does it make it easier to cross the border, or will she have the same issues?

Thanks for all your advice

Wally
we found crossing the border by land the most comfortable way. is your girlfriend/wife a US citizen? if so, it will be easier for her to cross.
our case was a bit different - I required a TRV to cross the border, so when I was finally granted it was valid just for 10 days. when we stopped at the port of entry the officer got surprised for such a short stay given for a married couple and he said that he will give me 6 months to explore our relationship and enjoy each other. and put a 6 months stamp right away. it was a really nice surprise for us. While being in there I saw many people with the US passports crossing the border without much examination - they were just checked for criminal records and admitted right away.
this all happened in August, hope they haven't changed since then.

wally1961

Nov 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2011
Med's Done....
09-14-2010
Well, her boss has offered to hold a per diem position for her for two months. That should help.

I know we have to be honest at the border. What is the best thing to tell them at the border? Does she say we are exploring our relationship or that she is just coming to visit?

Sorry about all the questions. She is getting very nervous!!

Thanks again

Gerry

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Which was a determination made by that individual officer based on his own, personal judgment, which is good information to share with us. But you stated it as if it was an actual firm rule, which it is not.

Suin said:
it's not a statement, but just a supposition. we had good ties like kids and family in our country and still were denied because of lack of ties. so I say from personal experience.