+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

People who sponsored a SYRIAN spouse (outland) please share your experience

AminZ_2000

May 28, 2014
Hi All,

I am a Canadian citizen (male, originally Lebanese). I got married to a Syrian girl in Lebanon last year. I currently live and work in Saudi Arabia. We still do not have kids. I want to sponsor my wife to immigrate to Canada. I have some questions especially to those who sponsored a Syrian spouse (others can also share their experience). I read the "3911e" guide and found the following main documents to be submitted by my wife,

1) Birth Certificate
2) Marriage Certificate
3) Proof of relationship to sponsor (wedding photos, ..etc)
4) Police Certificate
5) Identity and civil status documents
6) Translate the above documents into English

* Regarding point # 2, I have (the sponsor) my marriage certificate issued from Lebanon, attested by the Lebanese Ministry of foreign affairs and the Saudi embassy in Beirut. I also have my wife's government residency card in Saudi Arabia which means that she is my wife in the eyes of Saudi Arabia government and written on the residency card.

* Regarding point # 3, is not the marriage certificate enough to proof the relationship or I still have to send the wedding photos?

* Regarding point # 4, The police certificate to be issued from Syria has a validity of 3 months. This means that it will definitely expire since the sponsorship process takes almost 17 months (according to CIC). In this case, do I have to send the police certificate with the application package or wait until they request it, or it does not matter if it gets expired?

* Regarding point # 5, the Syrian civil status documents (single and family) for my wife still show my wife as SINGLE and not married. To change it to married, it will take several months and may not even change due to the war in Syria (transferring documents between ministries in Syria will take ages due to war).

The question,

Does it matter if my wife is still registered in her country as single and not married? Does it raise any suspicion?
or it is me , the sponsor, who has to proof that she is my wife (i.e. marriage certificate)?
Anybody had this situation before? what did you do?

* Regarding point # 6, do all the documents have to be translated by the SAME translator or it does not matter as long as the translator is certified? Also, do I have to attest the translated documents from the ministry of foreign affair in the country where the document was translated? or attestation is not required?

Please share your experience and provide any other inputs and advises

Thanks

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
You need the marriage certificate, and you need proof that you are in a genuine relationship. The certificate just proves that you are married, it does not prove that it is not a marriage of convenience. Include photos, chat logs or phone logs if you have them, proof of trips together, etc.

The certificate needs to be valid when CIC gets it. It's fairly common for the certificates to "expire" during the process, and it's not usually an issue.

It does not need to be the same translator.

Masriixo

Jul 5, 2015
App. Filed.......
April 15th, 2015
LANDED..........
June 20th, 2017
AminZ_2000 said:
Hi All,

I am a Canadian citizen (male, originally Lebanese). I got married to a Syrian girl in Lebanon last year. I currently live and work in Saudi Arabia. We still do not have kids. I want to sponsor my wife to immigrate to Canada. I have some questions especially to those who sponsored a Syrian spouse (others can also share their experience). I read the "3911e" guide and found the following main documents to be submitted by my wife,

1) Birth Certificate
2) Marriage Certificate
4) Police Certificate

* Regarding point # 2, I have (the sponsor) my marriage certificate issued from Lebanon, attested by the Lebanese Ministry of foreign affairs and the Saudi embassy in Beirut. I also have my wife's government residency card in Saudi Arabia which means that she is my wife in the eyes of Saudi Arabia government and written on the residency card.

* Regarding point # 3, is not the marriage certificate enough to proof the relationship or I still have to send the wedding photos?

* Regarding point # 4, The police certificate to be issued from Syria has a validity of 3 months. This means that it will definitely expire since the sponsorship process takes almost 17 months (according to CIC). In this case, do I have to send the police certificate with the application package or wait until they request it, or it does not matter if it gets expired?

* Regarding point # 5, the Syrian civil status documents (single and family) for my wife still show my wife as SINGLE and not married. To change it to married, it will take several months and may not even change due to the war in Syria (transferring documents between ministries in Syria will take ages due to war).

The question,

Does it matter if my wife is still registered in her country as single and not married? Does it raise any suspicion?
or it is me , the sponsor, who has to proof that she is my wife (i.e. marriage certificate)?

* Regarding point # 6, do all the documents have to be translated by the SAME translator or it does not matter as long as the translator is certified? Also, do I have to attest the translated documents from the ministry of foreign affair in the country where the document was translated? or attestation is not required?

Thanks
I sponsored my Iraqi husband,who was born in Syria, on April 15th 2015.

- yes sending wedding photos and other proof of relationship like MilesAway mentioned! It lessens the chance of an interview.

- in regards to the Syrian P/C. When we sent our application in we sent both an Iraqi and Syrian one. In December of 2015 they requested new police checks. So it really is just luck I guess. But it's better to have it included in the application anyways so that it doesn't cause delays.

- My husbands family doesn't have a Syrian family document because they're Iraqi so I don't have personal experience with this. But if you write an explanation as to why it shows that she's single in Syria I'm sure the immigration officer will understand. In Iraq I am not recognized as my husbands wife either because we aren't in Iraq and like you said, it would be impossible to update it at the time. As of now the immigration officer hasn't raised any suspicion. I think they only care that you're genuinely married. So try to prove that.

- it doesn't have to be the same translator as MilesAway mentioned. What I did was I took the documents I translated to the Canadian embassy and asked the consular where and if I had to get them stamped here. Thankfully the consular once worked in the visa section so she knew all the places I have to get it stamped. Most of them were from the ministey of interior and stuff like that.

Goodluck! You can also join the Beruit thread here in the forum. You'll get a sense of a timeline there as well as any other questions you may have :)

-

AminZ_2000

May 28, 2014
Thanks MilesAway and Masriixo.

Does sponsoring my spouse (i.e. wife) impose on her any English language requirements?
My wife will start to take some English language courses next month.

Thanks

Masriixo

Jul 5, 2015
App. Filed.......
April 15th, 2015
LANDED..........
June 20th, 2017
AminZ_2000 said:
Thanks MilesAway and Masriixo.

Does sponsoring my spouse (i.e. wife) impose on her any English language requirements?
My wife will start to take some English language courses next month.

Thanks
In the file they ask if shes taken a English test. I don't think it's a requirement. Just make sure you check that if there is an interview you want to request an interpreter. It's better to have one even if her English is okay, just to make sure there are no miscommunications.

Also inshallah when she gets her CoPR and lands, she'll have to answer general questions with the landing officer. (Who sponsored you, what's your Canadian address so they can send the PR card, are you still married to your spouse, etc)

:)

Usmanjamil

Oct 13, 2014
Hi All,

1) Birth Certificate
2) Marriage Certificate
4) Police Certificate

The question,

Thanks
Hi brother.

i am also Canadian PR and want to sponsor my wife who is syrian national and my daughter.

question is regarding Civil status certificate, its a hectic procedure and min 3 months have been told by embassy as my spouse is married to a Pakistani national (myself).

but at the same time, we are residents of Dubai and we do have original marriage certificate issued by govt. of UAE. In presence of that, can we ignore civil status certificate and supplement it by our UAE marriage certificate.

whats ur opinion about it

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi brother.

i am also Canadian PR and want to sponsor my wife who is syrian national and my daughter.

question is regarding Civil status certificate, its a hectic procedure and min 3 months have been told by embassy as my spouse is married to a Pakistani national (myself).

but at the same time, we are residents of Dubai and we do have original marriage certificate issued by govt. of UAE. In presence of that, can we ignore civil status certificate and supplement it by our UAE marriage certificate.

whats ur opinion about it
Are you compliant with your RO? Does your spouse and child have TRVs?