+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

People who got PR under CEC+PNP will be the hardest hit by New Citizenship Bill

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salzafar said:
Not only we'll be effected by (1,460 days) out of the six years condition, we'll also be effected by the condition 'Eliminate use of time spent in Canada as a non-permanent resident (non-PR)'. Now, we're looking at an additional 2 years before we're eligible for citizenship, especially those who became PR's in 2012 and 2013. After spending 7 years (4yrs Studying + 3yrs Working) in Canada, it quite unfair, and unjust that our commitment to Canada is being rewarded in this manner. I estimate at least 10,000 future applicants to be in the same boat as me.

I'm assuming there are no public consultations on this ??

Current Act
•Residence for three out of four years (1,095 days);
•No requirement that resident be physically present;
•Time as a non-permanent resident (non-PR) may be counted toward residence for citizenship;
•No intent to reside provision

Proposed Act
•Requires physical presence for four years (1,460 days) out of the six years;
•183 days minimum of physical presence per year in four out of six years;
•Eliminate use of time spent in Canada as a non-permanent resident (non-PR);
•Introduce “intent to reside” provision

source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2014/2014-02-06e.asp
Then why don't you do something about it?
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/house-of-commons-in-parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salzafar said:
it quite unfair, and unjust that our commitment to Canada is being rewarded in this manner.
Really ?? Are you sure that you dont intend to leave Canada after applying for citizenship. Have you ever checked how many years it takes to be a Citizen in the US, UK or Australia and you are saying Canada is unfair.

Last year there was a protest by some Pakistanis agaisnt the closure of the SINP program and they were blaming the government for not letting families unite, but the true agenda that lead to the closure was that each pakistani were bringing in a dozen of people as family members, to do nothing but to eat govt benefits.

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
SinghLovCan said:
Really ?? Are you sure that you dont intend to leave Canada after applying for citizenship. Have you ever checked how many years it takes to be a Citizen in the US, UK or Australia and you are saying Canada is unfair.

Last year there was a protest by some Pakistanis agaisnt the closure of the SINP program and they were blaming the government for not letting families unite, but the true agenda that lead to the closure was that each pakistani were bringing in a dozen of people as family members, to do nothing but to eat govt benefits.
Talk facts, not garbage. My argument is based on counting Pre-PR time, (Australia, New Zealand) are prime examples.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
True Salzafar, here in Australia a residence period of 4 years is required for Citizenship and out of these 4 years only 1 year needs to be as a permanent resident. So Australia recognizes 3 years of time spent in Australia on temporary visas as time spent towards Citizenship. There is actually no logic behind elimination of pre PR time spent within Canada and its benifits towards strenghtening of Citizenship. Minister can you please come out with a reasonable logic behind your stupid move ?.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with Salzafar & harry_aussie. I spend 6 years in Canada before getting my PR. I got a Canadian degree and met my wife here. We are fully settled in Canada. But the fact that the government is not actually acknowledging this time spent is a slap in the face. It's like they are letting us know that everything we did since we moved here is not related to the "integration within the society". I believe, being rational people on this forum, we are not asking to have every single day counted towards the citizenship.

harry_aussie said:
True Salzafar, here in Australia a residence period of 4 years is required for Citizenship and out of these 4 years only 1 year needs to be as a permanent resident. So Australia recognizes 3 years of time spent in Australia on temporary visas as time spent towards Citizenship. There is actually no logic behind elimination of pre PR time spent within Canada and its benifits towards strenghtening of Citizenship. Minister can you please come out with a reasonable logic behind your stupid move ?.