+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport's Gap

Nocila

Feb 5, 2023
June 2022 applicant here. I had two passports in the 5 yrs they looked at. On the application I explained that my old passport expired and I needed a new passport for future travel. I received no updates (beyond AOR) until Nov 28th when they asked me to provide an explanation or provide a copy of my old travel document.
I don't know why my first explanation wasn't enough. I tried to submit a copy of the bio page of my old passport through email and they didnt get back to me until Jan 17th to say they couldn't read it (i sent it twice in 2 different formats and both come up no problem for me). This time I sent it and an explanation via registered mail. It was signed for Jan 23rd. Nothing has been updated on my tracker. Still says waiting on you.
Everything else still in process or not started.

My advice to you is don't bother sending any copy of docs via email. Even followkng their directions did not work for me. I honestly feel like this delayed things for me.
Thanks for the information and the heads up! Just to confirm, you sent the explanation by email, not through the webform? Also, may I ask, were you a paper applicant or an online one?

When I sent it through the webform, I got an email response the following day saying it was added to my file, but it's not showing up on the tracker as having been received, even though it's been a couple of weeks.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
Thanks for the information and the heads up! Just to confirm, you sent the explanation by email, not through the webform? Also, may I ask, were you a paper applicant or an online one?

When I sent it through the webform, I got an email response the following day saying it was added to my file, but it's not showing up on the tracker as having been received, even though it's been a couple of weeks.

@Nocila - can you share sample Passport gap Letter of explanation format please .

Nocila

Feb 5, 2023
@Nocila - can you share sample Passport gap Letter of explanation format please .
I submitted it through the webform, so I didn't write a full letter with any formal format, I just wrote something similar to below in the enquiry box:
"I was asked to provide more information on a gap in my passport. This gap was due to the fact that I did not have a passport before [date]. I lived in [country] during this time, but travelled to Canada multiple times, as can be seen on my application, and travelled using an enhanced ID. I do not have any information for my enhanced ID because I had to surrender it to the province of [province] when I got my Canadian driver's license."

Mistymac

Dec 2, 2022

I applied online. They emailed me the request and have instructions on what/how to email them the info. I emailed both the bio page with the explanation I gave on my citizenship application.

I never sent anything via webform. I webform was for general info, not for adding info.

Good luck. Hope it shows soon

Nocila

Feb 5, 2023
I applied online. They emailed me the request and have instructions on what/how to email them the info. I emailed both the bio page with the explanation I gave on my citizenship application.

I never sent anything via webform. I webform was for general info, not for adding info.

Good luck. Hope it shows soon
Thanks for the response! My email told me to use the webform or mail it in with a copy of their email, email wasn't listed as an option. I wonder if they were having trouble with the emails and stopped doing it that way. Either way, I hope your application goes smoothly from here on out!

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Hi @Tommy2581

I'm also applied Citizenship and i too have gap in passport dates ,

Please can you send me sample letter that used for explanation letter.
Hi @RMinna, Simply write a letter addressing the case officer about your actual reason for the gap in passport. There is no fixed format for this. Include as much as details as possible about the gap and information about your old and new passport.
You can send this information on their web form too.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023

thank you @Nocila