+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport will expire during processing (Inland)

ACS

May 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (now sent to CPC-M)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2013
Doc's Request.
SA 06-11-2014/AIP 17-11-2014
AOR Received.
26-09-2013 (didn't get email-called CIC)
Med's Request
Sent With
Med's Done....
03-06-2013
Interview........
DM 02-02-2014
Unless we get some sort of miraculously quick approval, my husband’s passport will expire during our PR processing. It expires Nov 2014. We have a lot of little issues that I believe will most likely delay our processing at least to some extent (I was previously married and sponsored my ex-husband, but cancelled it before he was approved. My husband has travelled a lot and we have police checks from 4 different countries. He does have a record in the US for a minor issue, and we have also followed their instructions to Apply for Criminal Rehabilitation.)

He has already spoken to the Costa Rican embassy, and they said it won’t be a problem to issue him a new passport, we just need to go to Ottawa. (Good excuse for a mini-vacay).

Do we need to advise CIC before we do that? Or just get it done and send in the new photocopies of his passport along with an explanation? Will it matter that Original Visitor Visa was in this current passport, not the new one that will be issued? They already have copies of it, and we can show them the old one if required….

Will this throw an additional wrench into the Application?

Thanks!!

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My Passport also expires in May 2014 and I have just submitted my inland application, is there anything I need to do once I have my new passport?

Since Ill be in-Canada on Implied status it wont cause any complications will it? as I am not planning to leave the country or cross the boarder until I have my PR

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ACS said:
Unless we get some sort of miraculously quick approval, my husband's passport will expire during our PR processing. It expires Nov 2014. We have a lot of little issues that I believe will most likely delay our processing at least to some extent (I was previously married and sponsored my ex-husband, but cancelled it before he was approved. My husband has travelled a lot and we have police checks from 4 different countries. He does have a record in the US for a minor issue, and we have also followed their instructions to Apply for Criminal Rehabilitation.)

He has already spoken to the Costa Rican embassy, and they said it won't be a problem to issue him a new passport, we just need to go to Ottawa. (Good excuse for a mini-vacay).

Do we need to advise CIC before we do that? Or just get it done and send in the new photocopies of his passport along with an explanation? Will it matter that Original Visitor Visa was in this current passport, not the new one that will be issued? They already have copies of it, and we can show them the old one if required....

Will this throw an additional wrench into the Application?

Thanks!!
1. Extend/Get new passport. Send copies of bio data pages to CIC, no explanation required. Actually it helps, as they wouldn't "land" him without a valid passport, and they would hold up processing while requesting copies of a new passport.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
My Passport also expires in May 2014 and I have just submitted my inland application, is there anything I need to do once I have my new passport?

Since Ill be in-Canada on Implied status it wont cause any complications will it? as I am not planning to leave the country or cross the boarder until I have my PR
Hi James,

I would advise you to get a new passport as soon as you can. You cannot land in Canada without a valid Passport. Not sure what's your country requirement is to renew. In Canada, you can renew your passport if passport has less than 1 year left of validity. Once CIC will see that your passport will expire while in process, they will still continue the process. However it will likely affect your ability to get DM. Once you get a new passport, inform CIC asap so they can update your file accordingly so that they can issue a DM without delay due to expired passport.

screech339